DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Plane hits drone in Oregon

I could build a program that cross references google earth ground altitudes with GPS data and automatically sends enforcement letters to the the offending pilots when their MSL altitude minus the ground altitude of the gps coordinate dips below 1000. It would send the enforcement letter to the address produced by cross referencing the registration# of the aircraft with the address on file for the registration and I could probably do it in 5 days and cost under $10000.

If it’s for their own safety and the safety of the skies I’m sure there would be widespread support amount pilots given their widespread and vocal concern on this matter.

That’s a great idea! Thumbswayup[emoji1474][emoji16]

I just returned from vacation in Seaside, FL. There were multiple times when military helicopters and Osprey (the plane, not the bird) flew along the beach and I know they were below 500'. I estimate around 300-350' based on perspective relative to how high I flew my drone and the height of a 20 story condominium complex slightly down from me. They were very low and in at least one case, they had to be right along the water line. I even commented to my wife on one of the fly-bys that it was a good thing I wasn't flying the drone. It definitely made me nervous and more alert to plane/heli rotor noise when I was flying. All of this begs the question, who is at fault and liable when a plane hits a drone flying under 400'?

I can relate to this as I’ve been vacationing to Seaside Florida as well! The planes/helicopters fly very low there! I agree with you that they fly low enough to make a person nervous! There’s a military air base not far from Seaside which is why there’s so many low flying military aircraft. Thumbswayup[emoji1474][emoji16]

I believe that manned aircraft are currently to be 500' AGL minimum except for takeoff, landing and emergency. That's the primary reason for our 400'AGL restriction.
That's a common misconception ... but it's incorrect.
Here are the actual rules that apply to real planes:

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA

Reactions: hiflyer201
We drone owners have to be sensible about they way we fly ... aeroplanes were there before us ... we are now part of them ... except unmanned ... we have the lower risk & the higher responsibility to introduce our UAVs’ into the lower skies ... using information ... but above all commonsense ... I don’t want to see an us vs them scenario unfolding ... that will only affect us ... negatively ...

Seems implausible. Thats a huge hit that crumpled the metal in such an extreme way. The story starts out with a Tello Drone being launched and we know a Tello did not do this.

The pilot of the plane also states that the drone hit the wing "tip". So how is the damage near the area where the wing mounts to the plane fuselage?

Something is not adding up.
Insurance scam likely

Poor drone [emoji24]. This pilot must have been flying too low. We need a rule that manned aircraft can’t fly lower than 1000 feet except during take off and landing. I see the issue of innocent drones being murdered by irresponsible manned aircraft in the future getting worse. We need tougher regulations on these manned aircraft before things get out of control. Never forget
Love it !!! Lol