DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pocket mic/wifi question

Gr8fulTed

Reactions
As someone who has the Osmo Pocket expansion kit, and has ordered the DJI mic adapter, I have considered times when I might want to use the WiFi to access the phone, while at the same time needing a better mic than the one on the OP. The DJI WiFi adapter has a slot to allow connection after the OP is hooked up.

So the question is: Do you think that slot will work with the new mic adapter, allowing both WiFi and use of a mic? Or is it just a "one way" connection allowing only for power banks?

Reactions: doronlev and mnis
As someone who has the Osmo Pocket expansion kit, and has ordered the DJI mic adapter, I have considered times when I might want to use the WiFi to access the phone, while at the same time needing a better mic than the one on the OP. The DJI WiFi adapter has a slot to allow connection after the OP is hooked up.

So the question is: Do you think that slot will work with the new mic adapter, allowing both WiFi and use of a mic? Or is it just a "one way" connection allowing only for power banks?
I've found that Mimo works on both USB TypeC ports. Simultaneous charging is only provided at the lower port of the DOP. An Android smartphone is unfortunately charged by the DOP, no matter which of the two ports it is connected. The top port will work with the microphone adapter while the bottom port will have the wireless module connected. Last but not least, the lower port is provided for connection to the PC, for example to access the contents of the memory card. This eliminates the need for an additional CardReader. As far as my thoughts ...

I've found that Mimo works on both USB TypeC ports. Simultaneous charging is only provided at the lower port of the DOP. An Android smartphone is unfortunately charged by the DOP, no matter which of the two ports it is connected. The top port will work with the microphone adapter while the bottom port will have the wireless module connected. Last but not least, the lower port is provided for connection to the PC, for example to access the contents of the memory card. This eliminates the need for an additional CardReader. As far as my thoughts ...

I truly want to understand what you are telling me, but having a difficult time doing so. It's probably my technological ignorance, or the fact I use an iPhone, or something else.

So the Pocket slips onto the Wifi module. From that point on I have Wifi and if I want to use the Pocket with my iPhone I can. But because the port at the bottom of the Pocket is taken by the WiFi module, the only place I can plug the adapter for a mic is the port at the side of the WiFi adapter. As has been discovered multiple times, there are a plethora of mic adapters available on places like Amazon, but none of them work because the port at the bottom of the Pocket is such that it's not sending data two ways. If you look at all the photos of the new mic adapter DJI just made available this week (at a high price) you will notice it's not a perfect rectangle, but has a bulge on the bottom. My sense is this is for the electronics to make the port at the bottom of the Pocket move data in both directions. I may be very wrong here, not sure. The Wifi adapter does have a port at the side and most people have been using this to plug in a power cord or power bank to keep the Pocket running

So my question is: is that port at the side of the WiFi adapter one that will only allow a power cord (one way)? Or will the mic adapter also work in it (both ways)? Does anyone actually know?

Last edited:
It appears to be a pass through usb c port so hopefully it will work with the audio adapter in the WiFi ports female connection. I have the adapter on route so I’ll update/confirm findings as soon as it arrives

Reactions: mnis and Gr8fulTed
It appears to be a pass through usb c port so hopefully it will work with the audio adapter in the WiFi ports female connection. I have the adapter on route so I’ll update/confirm findings as soon as it arrives

I have a DJI employee checking into this for me and if they ever get back to me I'll post the reply here.

I also have the adapter en route, so we'll see which one of us can attest the soonest...*Chuckle*

Reactions: fozzzy and mnis
Oh yes, I've just seen this fabled and extremely cheap adapter for the first time :)

You're right, the adapter is for the lower female port of the DOP. Then let's hope the wireless module allows you to connect additional accessories.

A perfect answer will be given by DJI or one of the first owners.

Anyway, I wonder why this adapter is so important for some? The more accessories are plugged into this little DOP, the more meaningless (for me) is this pocket-idea.

The DOP has two internal microphones that I think are amazingly good. I made a short video in our harbor area some time ago, and when I looked at the PC later, I noticed ambient noise, which I did not even notice during the recording.

So, what do you want to do with this DOP, a 4K mini-camera for blockbuster with hi-fi sound?

For me, it's mainly an extremely portable device that can be close at hand to capture a few great moments. But I have already tried to connect the DOP with all kinds of accessories, but it is always somehow uncomfortable.

So please tell me, what's so great about this microphone adapter?

Oh yes, I've just seen this fabled and extremely cheap adapter for the first time :)

You're right, the adapter is for the lower female port of the DOP. Then let's hope the wireless module allows you to connect additional accessories.

Anyway, I wonder why this adapter is so important for some?
The more accessories are plugged into this little DOP, the more meaningless (for me) is this pocket-idea.

The DOP has two internal microphones that I think are amazingly good. I made a short video in our harbor area some time ago, and when I looked at the PC later, I noticed ambient noise, which I did not even notice during the recording.

So, what do you want to do with this DOP, a 4K mini-camera for blockbuster with hi-fi sound?

For me, it's mainly an extremely portable device that can be close at hand to capture a few great moments. But I have already tried to connect the DOP with all kinds of accessories, but it is always somehow uncomfortable.

I shall be much better able to address your question once it arrives and I am able to use it. In watching a variety of different YouTube videos on the Pocket, vlogging, filmmaking, and the like, some demonstrate the difference between the mics in the body of the Pocket and the use of another mic instead (these demonstrations are usually using a different recording device with an external mic for the examples). I've been able to hear the differences myself. If there is wind, there currently is not a wind sock for the Pocket to break that sound as there is with most external mics, and such wind can drown out every other sound as I have heard for myself. Additionally, one can accidentally hold it in such a way as to block some of the sound, The fidelity doesn't seem to be quite as good, as well.

At this time, the Pocket is also a great little stealth camera--people either don't see it at all or they think it's a toy. In either case, they tend to be themselves which makes the video filmed seem much more natural. Using the WiFi accessory, I can clip the Pocket to my daypack, have a seat, and separately look down at my phone to adjust the gimble, the settings, a variety of things and look just like all the other techies sitting around staring at their phones. They aren't as bothered.

I am not looking to create the next great blockbuster film. I haven't quite figured out just what I will do with this gimbled camera yet. Some people want me to start a YouTube channel. I certainly could see myself using it to create videos for the Facebook page and website of where I work. Such videos need to be presentable. I think if one is going to use it as one does a still camera or a cell phone camera to just capture what's going on around one at any given time and not do anything else with the video other than to save it for personal posterity, the question is why get it at all when the cell phone in your pocket will do basically the same thing--although without a gimble?

I know that in several weeks, I will be taking my granddaughter to Europe and she wants to vlog for her YouTube channel and so I am collecting those things to be able to use the Pocket as the device to capture that for her. Collecting additional accessories allows me to sync with the Boy Scouts' motto: Be prepared.

Last edited:

Anyway, I wonder why this adapter is so important for some? The more accessories are plugged into this little DOP, the more meaningless (for me) is this pocket-idea.

Becusse people can. They will.

If they really want good sound they would use a separate mic and recorder anyway.

I agree with you. I cancelled all the accessories I ordered for it. The beauty is the size. I’m shooting more video than I would usually and this is giving me lots of fun stock footage for use across my projects.

Alas people like to pimp these things out to make them what they are not. By the time you add every accessory and pay for it you could by a Ronin S or suchlike.

Reactions: mnis
Cutting down wind noise when out and about is hardly turning a OP movie into 4k blockbuster, and a Ronin S with a DSLR is hardly in the same price bracket as OP with a couple of accessories.

Reactions: Gr8fulTed and mnis
Cutting down wind noise when out and about is hardly turning a OP movie into 4k blockbuster, and a Ronin S with a DSLR is hardly in the same price bracket as OP with a couple of accessories.

The Ronin-s is now within the same price as the OP. DJI have an ‘essential’ kit that is very close in price to even a base OP.

Becusse people can. They will.

If they really want good sound they would use a separate mic and recorder anyway.

I agree with you. I cancelled all the accessories I ordered for it. The beauty is the size. I’m shooting more video than I would usually and this is giving me lots of fun stock footage for use across my projects.

Alas people like to pimp these things out to make them what they are not. By the time you add every accessory and pay for it you could by a Ronin S or suchlike.

I am someone who considers himself an advanced amateur with my DSLR. I've been using it for many years, have had shows with my photos, won some awards, etc. I have a camera bag in which I carry around my Nikon with accessories I feel are quite necessary to my hobby: filters, different lenses, etc. Once I have taken the photos I then move them into processing software to really bring out everything in them. I don't feel I'm pimping out anything. I feel I am working within my hobby to make the most of it.

I am only now getting into video. I did get a drone several months back and took a few videos in flight, but the weather turned and haven't been able to use it since. I hopefully will soon. Since the Pocket is so new and I am spanking new to videography, I have no idea what might be needed. I am just using my DSLR experience to guide me. It's obvious ND filters are needed with the Pocket. Again, I don't feel I'm pimping things out, just figuring out what I can do to leverage what I am doing to make it the best I can.

Ok, so I now have an answer to this question from a DJI employee:

I've verified this situation in our designated department. Unfortunately, we couldn't use the 3.5mm adapter while using the wireless module that is connected to the Osmo Pocket. However, we will consider this as a suggestion and forward it to our engineers to see what we can do to make this process possible in the future. We do appreciate your understanding.

I know that in several weeks, I will be taking my granddaughter to Europe and she wants to vlog for her YouTube channel

As a matter of interest which countries are you visiting? You should definitely come to Ireland :)

Ok, so I now have an answer to this question from a DJI employee:

I've verified this situation in our designated department. Unfortunately, we couldn't use the 3.5mm adapter while using the wireless module that is connected to the Osmo Pocket. However, we will consider this as a suggestion and forward it to our engineers to see what we can do to make this process possible in the future. We do appreciate your understanding.
I think the dji chap may be confused, tried it last night and it worked just fine with the wifi base. Bonus !

I think the dji chap may be confused, tried it last night and it worked just fine with the wifi base. Bonus !

Hey Fozzy--are you sure about it working fine? I just tried to use it with the external mic and and then the external mic and the wifi base. It appears to me that the sound switched from the external mic to the Pocket mics with the wifi base. Try it again and let me know what you think.

I saw a video last week that seemed to indicate that you had to have the bulging part of the mic adapter facing away from the screen side of the Pocket in order for it to work with an external mic, but I found it worked no matter which way it was facing. With that in mind, when it appeared the audio switched from external mic to internal mics when using the wifi base, I did it twice, once with the adapter facing one way and once with it facing the other, but it still seemed to me that with the wifi base it was using the internal mics.

Again, let me know what your experience is.
Thanks.

Hey Fozzy--are you sure about it working fine? I just tried to use it with the external mic and and then the external mic and the wifi base. It appears to me that the sound switched from the external mic to the Pocket mics with the wifi base. Try it again and let me know what you think.

I saw a video last week that seemed to indicate that you had to have the bulging part of the mic adapter facing away from the screen side of the Pocket in order for it to work with an external mic, but I found it worked no matter which way it was facing. With that in mind, when it appeared the audio switched from external mic to internal mics when using the wifi base, I did it twice, once with the adapter facing one way and once with it facing the other, but it still seemed to me that with the wifi base it was using the internal mics.

Again, let me know what your experience is.
Thanks.
Ill I'll double check buddy and update ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan