DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

POI waypoint circle program?

Kilboar

Reactions
I'd like to video a single POI with waypoints to just circle around the POI at a set distance to create a time lapse in the future.

Like a home renovation, I set up one with 4 waypoints but it's kind of clunky, not smooth. What am I missing?

Just use the Hyperlapse Circle mode. There's no need for waypoints. Page 35 in the manual. You fly to the altitude and beginning point you want and then set the circle radius, flight direction, speed, duration, and photo interval. You'll need to set the duration to allow a cull circle with the speed and radius you've chosen. You can set the duration to a long value and stop the hyperlapse at any point.

Just use the Hyperlapse Circle mode. There's no need for waypoints. Page 35 in the manual. You fly to the altitude and beginning point you want and then set the circle radius, flight direction, speed, duration, and photo interval. You'll need to set the duration to allow a cull circle with the speed and radius you've chosen. You can set the duration to a long value and stop the hyperlapse at any point.
thanks, that's what I figured. Just keep the parameters and do it each time I want to video the progress?

thanks, that's what I figured. Just keep the parameters and do it each time I want to video the progress?

Ah, so you want to repeat the same flight several times, timelapses over time.

You might set a waypoint for the initial location and altitude, that would help set the radius to the same value for each flight. I don't know or recall whether the other parameters for the circle flight and hyperlapse are stored and loaded from the last use or whether there are default values loaded each time. If not, you'd need to remember and set them each time.

Keep us posted on how this works out. It's an interesting issue.

Ah, so you want to repeat the same flight several times, timelapses over time.

You might set a waypoint for the initial location and altitude, that would help set the radius to the same value for each flight. I don't know or recall whether the other parameters for the circle flight and hyperlapse are stored and loaded from the last use or whether there are default values loaded each time. If not, you'd need to remember and set them each time.

Keep us posted on how this works out. It's an interesting issue.
Yeah, trying it now and not sure it's going to be user friendly.

@MS Coast Genius! I’m in the early stages of capturing a similar land & home build as @Kilboar. Mine is currently a straight course lock Waypoint mission so it can be reused. I’m not happy with it however because each time I run the mission it doesn’t start at the same spot. I understand this to be a GPS issue primarily. The circle Hyper-lapse method you suggest could be better. What would be the best way of capturing the beginning point for future flights before adding the additional parameters?

@MS Coast Genius! I’m in the early stages of capturing a similar land & home build as @Kilboar. Mine is currently a straight course lock Waypoint mission so it can be reused. I’m not happy with it however because each time I run the mission it doesn’t start at the same spot. I understand this to be a GPS issue primarily. The circle Hyper-lapse method you suggest could be better. What would be the best way of capturing the beginning point for future flights before adding the additional parameters?
You could do it with a waypoint, and accept the slight variation in GPS positions, normally just a few feet.

For more precision, you can point the camera straight down and fly the drone over a fixed landmark, like a mailbox, manhole cover, tree stump, ...

Reactions: Squidinc
I do this with waypoints, in a circle around the POI. GPS should be plenty accurate at the distances involved in surveying construction.

8 waypoints are usually a minimum, double to 16 for a large circle.

I really miss the Orbit feature in GO4 ☹️

Not sure Hyperlapse is the solution... can you save circle missions? I thought only hyperlapse waypoint missions can be saved.

In any case, the Hyperlapse missions will take a long time to execute and if what you're after are a progession of real-time video clips taken over a long calendar period, Hyperlapse will not give you this.

In either case – Hyperlapse or real-time clips – you'll need to use waypoints to repeat the exact flight at future dates.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j.bosco