DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar Pro - Cinema Series

PRnNJs FINEST

Reactions
Noticed Polar Pro has two sets for their 3-pack cinema series. Vivid and Shutter. Anyone know what the difference is or which is preferred? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Some people refer to the effect of a polarizing filter as enhancing the "vivid colors" (extra saturation). The Vivid collection filters all have /PL on the names to indicate they are polarizing filters.

The prime purpose of using a neutral density filter is to allow finer control of the shutter time. The Shutter collection filters all have ND on the names to indicate they are neutral density filters, but no /PL on the names since they are not polarizing filters.

Reactions: Hans Nieuwenhuis
I ordered the Shutter set, simply because they weigh less than the Vivid ones, and I plan on filming in very bright environments like salt lakes...and I don't need 6 types yet. Question: With the filter installed, what settings do we use for filming and photos, full-auto?, or keep it on Cine-settings??

Just received my Polar Pro Cinema Series Set today.
I ordered the Vivid Collection, polarized ones, (ND4, ND8 & ND16). Haven't had a chance to fly with them yet.
I did try putting them on and powering up the Mavic. As expected, the Mavic did not report any sort of gimbal error, so that's promising.
I found I had to snap them on in place firmly to get them to stay attached securely. I thought it best to do this with the gimbal clamp in place.
Maybe eventually I'll do it without the clamp once I get the hang of taking them on and off.
One comment about the case-
For my purposes, (I like small and portable with minimal size), I find the case while very nice, way too big.
I noticed the foam holding the lens in the case also has cutouts to allow your finger to get a grip on each lens and extract it,
a nice idea, but for me the cutouts are too small, at least for my big fingers. Of course, it's easily fixable with a razor blade.
However, for me, I'll go with a different, smaller case.
I have some small 2" square lens cases I use for my Phantom ND filters, each case holding one Phantom ND filter.
In trying them out, I found I could easily fit all three Mavic ND filters into the one 2" square case at once. Much smaller and portable.
I'll just make three lens cutouts in a 2" square piece of foam and use that with the case.

I just received the Cinema series. They mount much easier than the older Polar Pro, but getting them off is still a chore for guy fingers. I recommend the old fat rubber band trick to loop around the filter's edge. They come off easily.

I ordered the Shutter set, simply because they weigh less than the Vivid ones, and I plan on filming in very bright environments like salt lakes...and I don't need 6 types yet. Question: With the filter installed, what settings do we use for filming and photos, full-auto?, or keep it on Cine-settings??
You cannot make the determination between those based on weight, they are different filters for different purposes. The Shutter collection has straight ND filters for shooting in high light conditions and the Vivid collection has the same filters but with added polarization which helps to reduce the glare on things like snow, water, and through glass (like a window). You need to select the proper filter based on what you are shooting and the surrounding conditions.

I use Art mode (or D-Cinelike if you lost Art and cannot get it back) but it really depends on what you plan to do post shooting. Do you plan to grade or color correct the video at all? If so then you want a fairly flat profile and then bring out details and colors in post production. if you want to use video straight from the Mavic with no editing then you will need to try the various styles and see which one you want for the scene you are shooting.

After numerous tries installing the PolarPro Cinema Vivid Series ND Filters,
I get DJI GO Gimbal Error messages and I can see that the camera and filter is getting hung up during the startup sequence,
catching on something and never completing the sequence. It happens about 3 out of 4 tries.
This is a disappointment... I like the video look and polarization results in the video shot.
Probably going to have to ask for a refund next week.

After numerous tries installing the PolarPro Cinema Vivid Series ND Filters,
I get DJI GO Gimbal Error messages and I can see that the camera and filter is getting hung up during the startup sequence,
catching on something and never completing the sequence. It happens about 3 out of 4 tries.
This is a disappointment... I like the video look and polarization results in the video shot.
Probably going to have to ask for a refund next week.

If the filters are not installed all the way on, this can happen. They need to be pushed on all the way, we individually test each filter on 5 of our Mavics before sending them out. If you need some help we would be more than happy to get you dialed in so you can enjoy that polarization :)
-Jeff

I still can't get the **** things off. I do have guy fingers and don't have the best of manual dexterity, but it seems like they are unbelievably hard to get off. I have gone through two sets trying to get something I can use. Give me a hint. I want these things to work really bad. I have tried shortening the internal spring, but that haven't helped. It takes me about 10 minutes and at least two chipped fingernails to remove. Hopefully somebody has a answer. I do leave the gimbal clip in place to give me added support. I have had very good response from problems with polar pro previously, so I really am a fan. Help

Reactions: Budmancan
I still can't get the **** things off. I do have guy fingers and don't have the best of manual dexterity, but it seems like they are unbelievably hard to get off. I have gone through two sets trying to get something I can use. Give me a hint. I want these things to work really bad. I have tried shortening the internal spring, but that haven't helped. It takes me about 10 minutes and at least two chipped fingernails to remove. Hopefully somebody has a answer. I do leave the gimbal clip in place to give me added support. I have had very good response from problems with polar pro previously, so I really am a fan. Help

Sounds like you have one of the 2-3% of the Mavic cameras that are 0.15mm larger. We do have a custom solution in progress for these larger cameras. Shoot me an email and I will get you all set up: [email protected]
-Jeff from PolarPro

You cannot make the determination between those based on weight, they are different filters for different purposes. The Shutter collection has straight ND filters for shooting in high light conditions and the Vivid collection has the same filters but with added polarization which helps to reduce the glare on things like snow, water, and through glass (like a window). You need to select the proper filter based on what you are shooting and the surrounding conditions.

I use Art mode (or D-Cinelike if you lost Art and cannot get it back) but it really depends on what you plan to do post shooting. Do you plan to grade or color correct the video at all? If so then you want a fairly flat profile and then bring out details and colors in post production. if you want to use video straight from the Mavic with no editing then you will need to try the various styles and see which one you want for the scene you are shooting.

Not that I can answer for other user, but I'm pretty sure he was worried about the load the extra weight would put on the tiny and most vulnerable part of the mavic, the camera and gimbal.
I don't think anyone would measure quality or function of filters by its weight, that would be going full retard [emoji16]

The purpose of using them is to get more control over the aperture. So go for manual mode and as a rule of thumb, set the shutterspeed to 2x the framerate you're shooting. It'll give that perfect amount of motion blur and adds a little quality to your video.

I m still in the process of figuring out how to use these.
If you set it at manual and iso100/shutter50, when you turn away from a more sunny direction everything goes too dark. I don't get that. What is the use then for locking the shutter speed?
And the PL filters, i ve read elsewhere that you have to find a "sweet spot" when installed on the lens. To get the polarization direction correct. This would be determined by looking through the filter before installing.. if i look through it i do not see any difference when rotating this thing. Can someone from polar shed some light on this?

the PL filters, i ve read elsewhere that you have to find a "sweet spot" when installed on the lens. To get the polarization direction correct. This would be determined by looking through the filter before installing.. if i look through it i do not see any difference when rotating this thing. Can someone from polar shed some light on this?
Here's a video PolarPro made to show how PL filters should be aligned:

I m still in the process of figuring out how to use these.
If you set it at manual and iso100/shutter50, when you turn away from a more sunny direction everything goes too dark. I don't get that. What is the use then for locking the shutter speed?
?

Here we are at the absolute core of photography, these are the basics.

I come from a background in photography and I really am just another n00b in this video world. But, video is photography, just a little more complex. And that is just for one main reason. In photography you just have to think about and produce what's happening in one single frame at a time. Video is many times more complex since we have 24-120 (even more) frames per second. You can have a moving subjects inside a moving platform.

I have no idea if it's right or wrong but I try to think of each lighting scene, or each exposure as a single frame in photography. That's how I divide the material. You'll have to set correct exposure settings if you turn the mavic and have different lights.

I have one of the custom buttons set to switch the wheel on the remote between iso settings / shutter speed. That gives me control over the exposure in flight.
Usually at that point that exposure us changed, I choose to cut the video and deal with in post processing....

I hope I've managed to explain this properly, English is not my first language and I really lack proper skills in its writings....

Reactions: k3vnnyork
Here we are at the absolute core of photography, these are the basics.

I come from a background in photography and I really am just another n00b in this video world. But, video is photography, just a little more complex. And that is just for one main reason. In photography you just have to think about and produce what's happening in one single frame at a time. Video is many times more complex since we have 24-120 (even more) frames per second. You can have a moving subjects inside a moving platform.

I have no idea if it's right or wrong but I try to think of each lighting scene, or each exposure as a single frame in photography. That's how I divide the material. You'll have to set correct exposure settings if you turn the mavic and have different lights.

I have one of the custom buttons set to switch the wheel on the remote between iso settings / shutter speed. That gives me control over the exposure in flight.
Usually at that point that exposure us changed, I choose to cut the video and deal with in post processing....

I hope I've managed to explain this properly, English is not my first language and I really lack proper skills in its writings....

Thank you, your explanation is crystal clear. I was indeed on this track, manage settings during flight and customize button for easy access.

Reactions: Red_Raven
Sounds like you have one of the 2-3% of the Mavic cameras that are 0.15mm larger. We do have a custom solution in progress for these larger cameras. Shoot me an email and I will get you all set up: [email protected]
-Jeff from PolarPro
I received the new filters today and they fit perfectly. Thanks to Jeff and PolorPro for outstanding customer service.
I can't wait to try these out.

Yea, a very illuminating clip from polar...the mavic filters though do not have an outer ring. Eyeballing through the tiny thing is almost impossible, i cannot see the "sweet spot".

It will take some practice to get used to calibrating and aligning the sweet spot. If you are having difficulty looking through the filter try rotating the filter in front of the camera while looking at your monitor, hope that helps,

Jeff

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu