DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar pro filters

When you say it requires to adjust the filter, you mean rotate it until you found the great colors ?
Watch the video I posted in post #2 above.

all PL filters need to be turned to find the "sweet spot", same for SLRs too. I bought this set as at the time (6 months ago?) these were considered the only filters that could stay on during gimbal calibration, and the nice compact case that fits in the DJI Mavic bag easily. "buy nice or buy twice" unless I lose them I don't need to think about filters again.

I did but my English is not good enough to well understand everything ! I don’t have the right vocabulary !
Watch this part of the video. If that doesn't make sense, please let us know which part is confusing.

Do you need to be in manual with some specifics settings ?
Manual should give you the best results. Check out this video for more details:

Great video ! Will have to see it a few more times ! Thanks!

When you say it requires to adjust the filter, you mean rotate it until you found the great colors ? I mean the best vision. But if you do that it means that it’s adjusted where you actually are. But then you are higher so what about the adjustment ? Not anymore updated ?

Maybe I will go with the shutter filters... still not sure....

Help !!!
First to answer your question:
The Orientation will stay the same at any height, the big variable is the direction the camera is facing. See below:

Polarizers can be a little more setup work than straight ND's to get them perfect for each shot. Here is how I personally use the Vivid Collection DJI Mavic Filters - Cinema Series - Vivid Collection:

1. If I am on a production shoot or high value shoot:
I will orient the filter for each specific shot. Orient filter > get shot > Land > Orient for next shot > Repeat.
This method can be tedious but when you need your content to be perfect, the extra steps (in my opinion) are well worth the added polarization and saturated colors.

2. If I am flying for fun
I will orient the filter facing 90 degrees from the sun. This will give you a generic linear polarization for that specific time of day and cover the broadest range. In this scenario some of your shots will be perfect, some will be a little polarized, and some not polarized, but you will still be getting the effects of the ND.

As always, if you have any further questions please feel free to ask! I am here to help!
-Jeff from PolarPro

Reactions: norbs007 and geevee
First to answer your question:
The Orientation will stay the same at any height, the big variable is the direction the camera is facing. See below:

Polarizers can be a little more setup work than straight ND's to get them perfect for each shot. Here is how I personally use the Vivid Collection DJI Mavic Filters - Cinema Series - Vivid Collection:

1. If I am on a production shoot or high value shoot:
I will orient the filter for each specific shot. Orient filter > get shot > Land > Orient for next shot > Repeat.
This method can be tedious but when you need your content to be perfect, the extra steps (in my opinion) are well worth the added polarization and saturated colors.

2. If I am flying for fun
I will orient the filter facing 90 degrees from the sun. This will give you a generic linear polarization for that specific time of day and cover the broadest range. In this scenario some of your shots will be perfect, some will be a little polarized, and some not polarized, but you will still be getting the effects of the ND.

As always, if you have any further questions please feel free to ask! I am here to help!
-Jeff from PolarPro

Thanks Jeff ! But if you look at some of my videos, do you think the Shutter collection will be fine ?

Happy new year !

Thanks Jeff ! But if you look at some of my videos, do you think the Shutter collection will be fine ?

Happy new year !

It really comes down to your personal preference, with what look you are going for.

The Shutter Collection will only reduce the shutter speed leaving behind a neutral color profile

The Vivid Collection will reduce shutter speed, and also increase color saturation and contrast from the polarizer.

I find myself shooting the ND/PL's most often, but thats just my personal preference.

-Jeff from PolarPro

Thanks ! I will go with the shutter collection ! More easy to use and then I will do some color grading !

Reactions: Iamaruffneck
Thanks ! I will go with the shutter collection ! More easy to use and then I will do some color grading !
with regard to polarisation, you can't "fix" things in post. that's the bummer about it. if you can afford it, get the whole set. it's only a one time fee. I don't use the PL filters all the time but I'm glad I have the whole set.

But polarization acts only on contrast and saturation ?
cuts glare. that's not the same as contrast. It works great on water, and also on shiny things like leaves, takes away those blown out hotspots. and yes, it adds a tiny bit of depth to saturation, but you can do that in post if your raw file is good.

the issue with these PL filters is that you need to orient them correctly before you fly, unlike a PL filter on an SLR lens, which you can spin with your hand and see the results. you also can't take portrait images if you've attached the PR.... well you could and it might be fine, I haven't tried it yet. I keep an ND8 on mine all the time as a standard, works ok for afternoon light. you only need to think it through when you're shooting video as your SS is fixed to either 1/50 or 1/60. but for stills you have more wriggle room.

Ok thanks ! So if I understand correctly with the ND ones I have also to change the shutter speed ?

Ok thanks ! So if I understand correctly with the ND ones I have also to change the shutter speed ?
I guess for amateur work you can video at any SS but for pro work it has to be x2 of your frame rate (so 1/50 or 1/60), and when you can't adjust your aperture to make a balanced exposure, you have zero options other than an ND filter.

... the Vivid Collection filters are all polarizing, they do require a little extra effort in that you'll need to rotate them between shots for consistent results - this is not the case with the Shutter Collection, which can be mounted on the lens in any orientation and will provide the same results regardless, but are less effective at glare reduction and do not enhance color saturation.

- Oliver from PolarPro

I wondered about this! I had figured that, like most any other polarizing filters, there was a sweet-spot for rotating them. But, I never found it mentioned anywhere. While I’m glad you mentioned it, I’m puzzled as to why (at least in my impression) this isn’t better documented.

Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy