DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polarizing filter for Mavic 3? Should upgrade from M2Pro?

kyniek51

Reactions
Hi! I'm quite happy owner of Mavic 2 Pro - I added polarizing filter - this is huge upgrade... New mavic was released - on paper it's features are outstanding - but please correct me if I'm to enthusiastic ;p Is it worth upgrading?

Second question - a deal breaker one - does anyone know about polarizing filters to M3? Maybe some rumors?

I'd wait and see what said about the M3 as the firmware updates are released etc. etc. and let the App settle down.
But then again I have no intention of getting one lol.
Browse the threads here and over on the DJI forum.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
Based on some of the reading I’ve done, the term “Hang back” seems to have some validity.

Regarding the upgrade, it's up to you to decide if the new features will benefit your usage or not. The image sensor is roughly twice the size, the maximum bitrate is double, and both video quality and frame rate options are much improved. Flight time is also about 50% better. If those things will directly benefit your intended usage, then it's a worthwhile upgrade. If those won't make a difference to how you currently use your M2P, then you may want to keep what you have.

Regarding polarizers, they are already available for pre-order for the M3, however generally speaking, they are very annoying to use on drones due to the way polarization works, and probably not something you are going to want to leave on all the time.

Regarding polarizers, they are already available for pre-order for the M3, however generally speaking, they are very annoying to use on drones due to the way polarization works, and probably not something you are going to want to leave on all the time.

In DJI store?

I can't see them.... Would you be so kind and pass the link?

Another thoughts about CLP filters... I'm using PGYTECH DJI Mavic 2 Pro CPL Lens Filter on my M2 Pro - It's not rotating, I'm pleased with effect. In low light condition I'm replacing it with factory one.

The best effect is when camera is looking perpendicular to sun rays. When camera is directed towards sun or sun is behind - there is no such effect. After that what you wrote I started thinking - why polarize filters usually rotates? PGYTECH CPL worked fine for me because I was expecting the strongest effect being directed 90 degree to sun. I'm also passionate about taking landscape photos with my DLSR and I noticed when I tune CPL filter by rotating to have maximum effect I rarely have to change it's position - but in DLSR filter can be oriented differently , depends from lens, how you rotate your DLSR (landscape/portrait/whatever) ... so that is the one reason why they can spin - another is that not always you need maximum effect... This are my thoughts in short words.
For M2 Pro there is no need of rotating because its camera is always in "landscape" mode orientation, and there is only one way to mount that filter. DJI released set of ND filters for Mavic 3 - but why they can release also CPL as PGYTECH for M2 Pro? Maybe they will...
For me PL filter is very valuable thing as I'm taking many pictures over water (small lakes and so on..) it removes reflections, also gives more blue sky - most of pistures I'm taking 90 degree to sun or with sun behind...
BTW I found few topics type of "why CPL filter spins/rotates" , one of them :

Sorry I should have been more clear, DJI doesn't seem to offer a polarizer just yet but you can pre-order it from third parties like PGYTECH:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3