DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro Flight Deck any good? Tablet mount alternatives

thatswedishguy

Reactions
Hi!

Short version:

Is anyone here using the PolarPro Flight Deck with a large tablet? Is it any good? I would be using it with a 9.7" iPad.

Longer version:

I have the official DJI tablet mount on order, but the delivery date keeps being pushed up, and I'm tired of waiting. I like the idea of saving some money and I figured an official product should be good, but it never seems to be available anywhere.

There are other options, however more expensive ones. I started by looking at the Mavmount, which I like, but it's very expensive to have it shipped here (Sweden) with import fees, VAT and such. I also heard that the lanyard solution isn't the best and that the lanyard bracket turns easily.
Then there's the LiftThor Sif, but I will have to pay VAT on that as well, and it is made of PVC material so it's a no go for me anyways.

The PolarPro Flight Deck is however readily available here in Sweden, and I won't have to deal with importing it. I haven't found any good reviews of it as a tablet holder. Most reviewers seem to use it with the CrystalSky. One concern I have is it's shape. It tapers off towards the back. I tried putting my controller handles in a similar angle, and it was uncomfortable to hold. I'd like to have them straight down.

What speaks for the PolarPro Flight Deck is it's availability and not having to deal with import, but I think I'd prefer the Mavmount to be honest, but it can get expensive to get here. Not quite sure if it's worth the trouble and expense. Any input appreciated.

You can find a lot of reviews for the PolarPro Flightdeck here on Amazon. That'll give you a good idea of what verified buyers think about it.

Reactions: thatswedishguy
Thanks!

I totally forgot about Amazon! It does have good reviews there. Still not sure about the base plate and ergonomics with the controller...

I have used Mavount, DJI’s mount, and PolarPro’s Flightdeck. IMHO the PPFD is superior in setup, takedown, storage, and user flexibility. Just my $0.02 worth.

Is anyone here using the PolarPro Flight Deck with a large tablet?

TSG: I second Thomas B's opinion as I too have used MavMounts, LifThor, and PP. The Flight Deck is light years ahead of the other two and I use it with a 9.7 iPad.

Last edited:
I have now ordered the PolarPro Flight Deck. I'm excited to try it out! Now I just have to downgrade my iPad to iOS 12 again because I don't feel comfortable flying my expensive drone using iPadOS beta...

I'll report back with my opinion once I have had a chance to try it out

Reactions: Thomas B
I have now ordered the PolarPro Flight Deck. I'm excited to try it out! Now I just have to downgrade my iPad to iOS 12 again because I don't feel comfortable flying my expensive drone using iPadOS beta...

I'll report back with my opinion once I have had a chance to try it out
Agree! I’d never fly using a beta of the OS.
Remember that if the iOS device crashes, etc, you can still fly your drone with the controller alone.... or restart the device if time allows.

Agree! I’d never fly using a beta of the OS.
Remember that if the iOS device crashes, etc, you can still fly your drone with the controller alone.... or restart the device if time allows.

Yes, but if it glitches out you never know what will happen. Worst case DJI GO could be confused and send wrongful commands to the drone. Don't want to risk it. Besides, iPadOS has been very glitchy for me.

So my PolarPro Flight Deck arrived today. Or did it? The contents of the box is not what it's supposed to be. I don't think a single component is right, except for maybe a screw or two. The tablet mount is also absent. I have contacted the store (which is supposed to be serious) and I await their response. It sucks because I was expecting to use the mount on monday, but that won't happen now.

This is my second PolarPro product that has been a bad experience out of the box. The first one was their Rugged Case, which was really dirty light brown sand marks all over) and had a strong chemical smell. I returned that and bought a hard case from another manufacturer instead. I do have and like their ND filters, but the glue is a bit uneven on some of them, so I'm not 100% happy with the quality. More like 95%.

My trust with the PolarPro brand isn't great at the moment. Let's see if that changes when I get the correct product.

Some photos:
Bottom plate.jpgInside of box.jpgProduct box.jpgWrong product 1.jpg

Did you order from PolarPro directly?

This looks like the CrystalSky mount.

No I did not, because if I did I would have to deal with customs, import fees and such. It does look like the CrystalSky mount, but the picture on the box clearly shows the Flight Deck, and there is room for what looks like the tablet mount and an allen key, so I assume it's the right box.

No I did not, because if I did I would have to deal with customs, import fees and such. It does look like the CrystalSky mount, but the picture on the box clearly shows the Flight Deck, and there is room for what looks like the tablet mount and an allen key, so I assume it's the right box.
Understand.
Clearly, this is a reseller problem and not a problem with PolarPro...
I own a lot of PolarPro stuff including filters for 3 drones, flightdeck, landing gear. Of course, I have always purchased directly from PP. not sure what the taxes/duties would be, but what is avoiding your current problem worth?

Can you send it back to the seller and get the correct one or refund?

Understand.
Clearly, this is a reseller problem and not a problem with PolarPro...
I own a lot of PolarPro stuff including filters for 3 drones, flightdeck, landing gear. Of course, I have always purchased directly from PP. not sure what the taxes/duties would be, but what is avoiding your current problem worth?

Can you send it back to the seller and get the correct one or refund?

It's not worth 50% more which is about where I'll end up importing.
Both places I have bought from are serious businesses, so I don't think they are messing with the products.

I can sure send it back. I haven't payed the invoice yet and I have the legal right to return a defective item, so that's not going to be a problem. I'm just a bit disappointed that two out of three PolarPro products I have ordered have had issues, and not minor ones either. I'm sure most products are good, but I get the feeling that there's issues with quality control.

It's not worth 50% more which is about where I'll end up importing.
Both places I have bought from are serious businesses, so I don't think they are messing with the products.

I can sure send it back. I haven't payed the invoice yet and I have the legal right to return a defective item, so that's not going to be a problem. I'm just a bit disappointed that two out of three PolarPro products I have ordered have had issues, and not minor ones either. I'm sure most products are good, but I get the feeling that there's issues with quality control.
Or resellers. Sorry you are having trouble. Glad you can send it back. Best of luck.

Bought it.
Tried it.
Sent it back.

Not a thing wrong with it. It's a quality mount for the 5.5 Crystalsky but my search continues for a comfortable mount for the 7.85 Crystalsky. Even with a neck strap it was for me a cumbersome and unwieldy system. Had DJI placed the screw holes for a neck strap on the bottom of the 7.85 CS and not on just one side it would be perfect. But they didn't.

I received the correct item today. I haven't been able to test it yet, but it feels like a solid product.
When I have had a chance to use it I'll report back with my opinion.

Hi thatswedishguy can you test the lanyard side see how the balance is please

I have been using the PPFD for awhile. I do like it, it is a solid holder. I do wish the tablet mount was behind the RC instead of in front. I had an issue with the spring release of the tablet holder and called them. I asked just for that one piece but they sent sent me a whole new mount, great customer service.

I have now finally had some good flying weather and had a chance to test the mount. I like it!

It's very solid. The iPad is firmly held in position and is not moving around. I do wish that it didn't taper off towards the rear since the handles doesn't give much support in this configuration, but it was still not uncomfortable to fly with, just not as comfortable as it could have been for me. Well built, feels like it's going to last. I think it was money well spent.

And what a difference flying with a 9.7" inch screen makes to a 5.2"! Also, the iOS DJI GO app is far superior to the Android version. The map worked offline in satellite view (after manually caching) and it was very easy to see the position of the drone on the map. The Android version can't cache the satellite view as far as I am aware, so it's not as easy to use offline. The satellite image provider used in the iOS app also deliver way batter quality.

As for lanyard I haven't tried that yet. All I have are lanyards for keys and ID cards and they have a safety that snaps loose under too much load. Don't really trust them to hold the controller. Based on the position of the lanyard attachment I would say that the controller will be very front heavy. It may help to pick up a little bit of weight, but I mostly consider it a safety feature to protect against dropping the expensive controller setup, or possibly to hold the controller to allow the hands to be free for dealing with the drone.

Would recommend!

Reactions: zappy54
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS