DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro Mavic Handheld

ISpeekW00kie

Reactions
So I found this interesting. PolarPro made a handheld for the DJI Mavic for those beginners or budget tight folks that want to get into cinematography. The handheld crates a dual hand hold that wraps around your folded up Mavic and has a place to hang on to your phone so that you can get those nice stabilised shots. Thoughts?

Katana - DJI Mavic Tray

Reactions: mel69hash
That's a really cool way to take advantage of the mavics camera. I would probably not buy it.

nice.. i buy a drone and I fly it with my hands... [emoji32][emoji32][emoji32][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

It would be excellent for those doing real estate walk through etc, and not wanting to carry around a second camera. I DIYd a similar rig before this came out otherwise I would've considered it. Still might cause its smaller and sleeker than mine.

Reactions: ISpeekW00kie
I would be cautious of using it as a handheld camera because the gimbal wants to stay locked on to a specific reference point and when you tip/tilt the mavic body it will adjust to keep on target (i.e. mimic an OSMO).

Here in lies the issue.......when in flight the mavic will typically on roll and pitch so far and the gimble can compensate for this movement and hold on target but if you hold it in your hand you can easily exceed these range limits. And when you do, the gimbal will continue to try and drive to compensate but it physically cannot. This put's excessive strain on the gimbal servo motors and would is likely to end up with premature failures of the gimbal motors.

One possible work around would be to set the gimbal to FPV and then it would not try to lock on and auto correct but then you loose the stabilization capability of the gimbal......

I would be cautious of using it as a handheld camera because the gimbal wants to stay locked on to a specific reference point and when you tip/tilt the mavic body it will adjust to keep on target (i.e. mimic an OSMO).

Here in lies the issue.......when in flight the mavic will typically on roll and pitch so far and the gimble can compensate for this movement and hold on target but if you hold it in your hand you can easily exceed these range limits. And when you do, the gimbal will continue to try and drive to compensate but it physically cannot. This put's excessive strain on the gimbal servo motors and would is likely to end up with premature failures of the gimbal motors.

One possible work around would be to set the gimbal to FPV and then it would not try to lock on and auto correct but then you loose the stabilization capability of the gimbal......
Just FYI, I've used the Mavic handheld on several occasions and with a small amount of care it never even got close to gimbal limit. Also, reaching gimbal limit with the Mavic brushless motors should only result in max motor load, (presumably set below coil overheating-someone can correct me on this if I am wrong) and possibly a gimbal limit error and nothing worse.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan