DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police came by my house

Your first move should have been to have a civil conversation before flying for the first time! You could have, perhaps solved a lot of the issues by this move. Show them your registration, show them how your drone is controlled, offer a free series of altitude pictures of their home. See if the neighbours want to learn how to fly... I went to everyone of my community members to to the gab sessions. I winter in Texas and always ask for permission to fly regardless if I have to or not. Never have I had opposition. I also show them my insurance , Drone School Certification. I explain all the safety procedures I MUST follow and so on. THis method of communication with our fellow citizens solves soooooo many problems. YOur flights do impact on your community but the Risks associated with this inevitable issue can be mitigated effectively.

Where does it end? Do you warn everyone every time you're heading out for a drive in your car? You could potentially lose control and cause an accident after all. I agree civility goes a long way, but people could just as easily stop being such entitled whining pansies.

Reactions: strdr
So here’s one today...take off at a sparsely populated beach promenade. Nobody within 30M, or even 100M. Whilst airborne a lady on a bike cycles up and perches right next to me on my RTH spot. No words said, she hops on her phone texting, me obviously droning. Battery gets low so I initiate a RTH and on descent vary the landing spot some 10+ metres or so away, constrained in that direction by trees. I notice on the footage review that as soon as I turn away from her to land she points her mobile at me and takes a photo or short video then cycles away.

My question is, when people themselves encroach on the 30 M are we then at fault or are we expected to erect a virtual or physical 30M “wall” around us and shout to anyone encroaching, “please stay away, I’m about to land”, or words to that effect? (I’m getting more than slightly paranoid with all these conditions on our responsible hobby.)

Happens all the time. You just have to move over a bit.

Unless you own the land you are landing on, you should expect that to happen.

Reactions: ChoccyBoy
Yes you need to speak. Smile, be polite, say "hello, how'r u doing, pls be aware i'm about to bring my model back so if you want to watch it pls either stay closer by my side or further away". 30m are excessive, but, u must be aware that if your props cut anybody, it is a liability and u will have to deal with it.

General rule - do not fly at beaches unless it is a secluded spot with no pedestrian traffic. U get kids there who do not listen at all, wanderers and sometimes hobos who may want to interfere to get paid. My bigger models are de facto flying lawn mowers with carbon props that can cut off your fingers at loiter rpm. Your smaller mavic should be treated same way - be aware and be careful, even if law is on your side. Accidents happen.

I don’t really know which neighbor(s) complained. The officer did not give me this information. So I really don’t have a way to reach out.

You can always request the information from Dispatch and/or the police department

Generally, all phone calls, radio traffic, and written reports are available to the general public.

In my experience Sometimes they redact certain information, other times they provide the callers voice, name, address, phone number etc.

So here’s one today...take off at a sparsely populated beach promenade. Nobody within 30M, or even 100M. Whilst airborne a lady on a bike cycles up and perches right next to me on my RTH spot. No words said, she hops on her phone texting, me obviously droning. Battery gets low so I initiate a RTH and on descent vary the landing spot some 10+ metres or so away, constrained in that direction by trees. I notice on the footage review that as soon as I turn away from her to land she points her mobile at me and takes a photo or short video then cycles away.

My question is, when people themselves encroach on the 30 M are we then at fault or are we expected to erect a virtual or physical 30M “wall” around us and shout to anyone encroaching, “please stay away, I’m about to land”, or words to that effect? (I’m getting more than slightly paranoid with all these conditions on our responsible hobby.)

No! You just yell: "FORE!"

No! You just yell: "FORE!"
Well, there was somebody i think on this very forum , or, may be it was on dji one, not sure, who actually wrote that he likes to see emotions of people when he lands or takes off close to them, startling them. So, you never know.... One idiot like that can simply ruin it like that for everybody else.

Reactions: ChoccyBoy
I don’t use them when I fly for myself, but when I fly for work, we generally set up some small orange cones with a drone logo on them to keep the LZ clear of pedestrians.

I don’t use them when I fly for myself, but when I fly for work, we generally set up some small orange cones with a drone logo on them to keep the LZ clear of pedestrians.

The problem with the public is short of machine gun nests there's not a lot you can put in that will keep them out. They just refuse to look. I do the sandwich board and cones thing but if I am doing a job in a built up area with a lot of pedestrian traffic (which is a rare job for me to take) I usually have a ground crew member and it's their job to wrangle the public.

Regards
Ari

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardomavic