DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police came by my house

Am I wrong here, or is everything I have read that says "400 feet" is the max altitude regardless if you are a hobbyist or part 107 pilot for drones wrong. Tha is in advance
That is what the 2018 reauthorization act states, but it's not all in effect yet. The FAA says to continue to follow AMA's guidelines and the revoked sec. 336 as well. Congress mistakenly revoked sec. 336 before having anything ready to replace it. Government Relations | Academy of Model Aeronautics

Attachments

• FAA-400_2016.pdf
    432.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Steve K
Your first move should have been to have a civil conversation before flying for the first time! You could have, perhaps solved a lot of the issues by this move. Show them your registration, show them how your drone is controlled, offer a free series of altitude pictures of their home. See if the neighbours want to learn how to fly... I went to everyone of my community members to to the gab sessions. I winter in Texas and always ask for permission to fly regardless if I have to or not. Never have I had opposition. I also show them my insurance , Drone School Certification. I explain all the safety procedures I MUST follow and so on. THis method of communication with our fellow citizens solves soooooo many problems. YOur flights do impact on your community but the Risks associated with this inevitable issue can be mitigated effectively.
Yes, go door to door througoout your neighborhood telling everyone you are gong to do something that is legal... WOW!

Actually "The law defines disorderly conduct as any behavior or conduct that creates a threat to the life or safety of other people. The most common examples of disorderly conduct include engaging in fighting or boisterous conduct and making unreasonable noise for an extended period of time even after being asked to stop."

Some neighbors are just paranoid or angry at the world.

I live across the street from a park. It was my main spot when I started flying racing quads. I would let the parents of the kids playing on the other side of the park know in advanced of taking off and offered them to view the flight through a monitor I had with me. I've had no issues at all. Even LE drives by and just look.

I'm on nextdoor.com for our area. There was a post of a "drone" flying over homes and the person was worried they might be spying on them. Another person mentioned me in a post about flying at the park and went on to say good things about me. I had to chime in and explain the cameras on them and in a polite way, let them know that no one is really that interesting. I offered ride alongs and even lessons on my Syma X5. No takers on the offer. I'm pretty well known in the neighborhood. In a good way. Oh, I happened to see the Mavic Pro earlier that day and got excited to see another in the air

If one really wanted to spy, just use Google maps and a DSLR with a 500mm lens

My son, also a multiple drone owner just like me, is a police officer. He just told me that last night, he also had a call from a citizen complaining about a neighbor flying a drone and was concerned about this neighbor filming his kids. My son talked to all involved and determined that the pilot was simply flying over to return home from a short mission. He told the complaining party that it was no different than a car driving by with the occupants having cell phone camera's. It seemed the complaining party was bent on keeping the guy from flying, period. Fortunately, the pilot agreed to fly elsewhere.

Unless it is directly against a written law, we droners have got to stop bending to the uninformed whiners who don't know what they are talking about but are quick to call the police. I have had the same problem with a few neighbors who whined about me scaring their horses. They are afraid they will get injured if I fly over (100' BTW) them while in the pen with their horses. I have taken videos of all of my flying over many horses, cows, & zebras but have never seen them fear the drone at that height. These "fearful" folks need to realize they are now in the 21st century...

This is my first post here. This resonated with me a lot. Leaving the politics aside I live in NJ and it's the same way. Restrictions on almost every single activity. Especially outdoor ones. I need to get out of here and move somewhere that doesn't treat me like a child.

I was so pumped up when I bought my Mavic Air. Man did I get the wind taken out of my sails a bit when it started to hit me how many places there are that I can't fly. I try to look to the positive and all the places that I can but man it's rough at times.

I went to a local park a few weeks ago with a buddy who just got a Mavic Pro used. He wanted to check out if it flew properly. I checked all over online to see if there were any restrictions. Didn't see any. We get there, walk to the corner of a huge field and start unpacking. Here comes the park ranger. No drones allowed. There was nobody in the fields. Talking a few football fields combined size. He was actually pretty cool and let my buddy start it up to see if it hovered and flew about 50 feet out and back.

I felt like a kid again who gets a laundry list of rules and told no all the time. Not a great 1st post for me but I needed to stop lurking at some point.

check the rules and reg, as well as local, state and fed LAWS. on this park. as he could just have been a anti.
and this way you can fly there and report him for abuse of power, and harassment.

Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)

Press Release – FAA Statement–Federal vs. Local Drone Authority

DOT UAS Initiatives

FAA Says Avoid Drone Registration Schemes

and many more

Reactions: Babaganoosh
Unless it is directly against a written law, we droners have got to stop bending to the uninformed whiners who don't know what they are talking about but are quick to call the police. I have had the same problem with a few neighbors who whined about me scaring their horses. They are afraid they will get injured if I fly over (100' BTW) them while in the pen with their horses. I have taken videos of all of my flying over many horses, cows, & zebras but have never seen them fear the drone at that height. These "fearful" folks need to realize they are now in the 21st century...

i went and hovered over some cows. all but one just kept on munching. the one just looked up at the drone, and went back to munching.

Reactions: strdr and Drgnfli
Well...in my country wisely been said that the best luck for a man consists in two major thinks. 1). Having a great wife and 2). Having some loving neighbors.

Actually that is wrong, disorderly conduct is ANYTHING that interferes with your neighbor's way of life. So basically anything you, me or our neighbors complain about falls under this. If they ask you to stop and you keep doing it they can come back and charge you with persistent disorderly conduct if they complain again. The best course of action is to simply respect others.
Actually that is wrong, disorderly conduct is ANYTHING that interferes with your neighbor's way of life. So basically anything you, me or our neighbors complain about falls under this. If they ask you to stop and you keep doing it they can come back and charge you with persistent disorderly conduct if they complain again. The best course of action is to simply respect others. I know it seems trivial to you but it isn't to them. Just like loud music may seem trivial to your neighbor but annoys you.
I would think that they would have to prove that to a reasonable person standard that your drone flight interfered with their way of life.

Your first move should have been to have a civil conversation before flying for the first time! You could have, perhaps solved a lot of the issues by this move. Show them your registration, show them how your drone is controlled, offer a free series of altitude pictures of their home. See if the neighbours want to learn how to fly... I went to everyone of my community members to to the gab sessions. I winter in Texas and always ask for permission to fly regardless if I have to or not. Never have I had opposition. I also show them my insurance , Drone School Certification. I explain all the safety procedures I MUST follow and so on. THis method of communication with our fellow citizens solves soooooo many problems. YOur flights do impact on your community but the Risks associated with this inevitable issue can be mitigated effectively.

good point, and approach, all humans are afraid of the 'unknown' and things they don't understand. and maybe have difficulty comprehending.

guilty people are usually paranoid like that, wonder what they did.

You nailed it. It's called "projection". They project their worldview and thought process onto others. A good example is a cheater who always accuses their partner of cheating.

You could ask them if they are interested in a free picture of their house from the drone. May pay dividends and worth a try. Good luck.
Take the picture from 400 feet so their house looks like a doll house maybe they'll quit complaining LOL

That is very interesting. Drones are still relatively new so most people don't know how to react to them. Unfortunately people think that the Police have jurisdiction over the air. However we all know they do not. Most the officers I know aren't familiar with drones. Be careful though - a lot of states are starting to enact laws regarding drones and privacy. Keep an eye on the news!

Reactions: Donny66
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter