DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police showed up my house within 15 minutes of flight today

Edward500

Reactions
Counter terrorism task force showed up at my house about 15 minutes of flight. There was a parade starting in 2 hours and that is why they showed up.

I wasn't flying over my house and there is no way they could have known it was from my house. They came right to my house and even in my yard. I was at a window in my house at the time. There is no way they could have known which of the many houses with close back yards that the drone could have come from.

How did they know so quickly? Is this because they can log into DJI software and know my fly home address?

Last edited:
welcome to the forum, well someone knew you had been flying a drone 15 minutes previously maybe someone reported you did they take any action against you

Counter terrorism task force showed up at my house about 15 minutes of flight. There was a parade starting in 2 hours and that is why they showed up.

I wasn't flying over my house and there is no way they could have known it was from my house. They came right to my house and even in my yard. I was at a window in my house at the time. There is no way they could have known which of the many houses with close back yards that the drone could have come from.

How did they know so quickly? Is this because they can log into DJI software and know my fly home address?
What kind of parade?

Reactions: _gonzales_
Welcome to the forum.

Isn't a large portion of NYC No Fly Zone anyway even w/o the parade in town?

Odds are someone in your neighborhood made a phone call.

Was there any interaction between you and Law Enforcement or did you just stay inside and not answer the door?

Welcome to the forum.

Isn't a large portion of NYC No Fly Zone anyway even w/o the parade in town?

Odds are someone in your neighborhood made a phone call.

Was there any interaction between you and Law Enforcement or did you just stay inside and not answer the door?
How did you surmise he's in NYC, admin powers? ?

Yes, I dont think you can fly drones in NYC at all?

Maybe reported by neighbor, or the CTTF uses that Airscope thing or whatever it's called

How did you surmise he's in NYC, admin powers? ?

I "Saw" when he registered earlier today. We have to approve ALL new members to cut down on SPAM etc.

I figured it out. Basically law enforcement most likely has what is called DJI Aeroscope. This is something that has been available for years and gives you all the information about your DJI Drone. That is how they showed up so quickly to my house. I did fly over a parade path, which was 2 hours before the parade but they investigate anyway.

The officer even knew what I was flying by saying, what are you flying a DJI Phantom, which was really a dJI Mini. He said he couldn't tell me how they know but said they would know if I fly it again. He also said that normally they would never care about flying it around but because there was a parade they had to investigate. He was fair and left.

He did throw around that you could be charged and even dropped the reckless endangerment charges, this is a criminal charge they can use on anyone really by saying you were reckless. Even if its only a 250 gram drone which you were flying 200 feet up in the air. Usually they would only charge you with this if someone got hurt but they could technically charge you even if nobody got hurt.

I've flown many times from my house without issue, the issue today was flying over a parade path. The police were at my house ringing the doorbell 15 minutes into my flight and while my drone was still in the air. I was inside my house the entire time.

Anyone who flies a DJI is basically being tracked and they know all your information. Just watch this youtube video.

Basically, every fight you do with a DJI Drone is being tracked and law enforcement can easily know everything, your return to home location, your exact flight path, everywhere you have flown, your Email address.

DJI Aeroscope Test - How To Monitor Rogue Drones, a Hands On Test.

Im already paranoid enough flying my drone anywhere around people. This really is really sad to hear about. Most people dont care at all, or are just curious about them. But there is always some dork that thinks a drones purpose is to peek in their windows or drop Covid spores and they lose their wig about seeing a drone.

Then there are drone pilots that actually make things worse. My son works at a chemical plant. He says there is frequent illegal drone activity over their plant and the FBI is involved. Why do people have to poke the bear? I just dont get it.

I spent a lot of money on this thing and Im amazed at how cool it is and it has sparked a new interest in photography. But stuff like this bums me out. I feel like people's fears or the FAA rules are going to kill the hobby part of UAV fun and I will have wasted my money.

I've flown many times from my house without issue, the issue today was flying over a parade path. The police were at my house ringing the doorbell 15 minutes into my flight and while my drone was still in the air. I was inside my house the entire time.

How are you able to See & Avoid from inside your house? We are required to fly VLOS.

see & avoid? What is wrong with flying out of your window and looking at the screen of your cell phone to guide your flying?

Staying by a window is warmer, and gives you extra height.

Do you think I'm really making this up? What is there that makes it seem not believable. I agree that counter terrorist task force coming to your door 15 minutes after taking off is very surprising. But no so much when you see that they have the DJI Aeroscope.

Reactions: E90RAW and Mega Man
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98