DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police showed up my house within 15 minutes of flight today

Does the OP ever actually state they were flying from inside a house?
From post #13:
“I've flown many times from my house without issue, the issue today was flying over a parade path. The police were at my house ringing the doorbell 15 minutes into my flight and while my drone was still in the air. I was inside my house the entire time.”

From post #13:
“I've flown many times from my house without issue, the issue today was flying over a parade path. The police were at my house ringing the doorbell 15 minutes into my flight and while my drone was still in the air. I was inside my house the entire time.”
Sorry, missed the last sentence.

You guys do know that when you fly a DJI drone you are constantly being recorded and your information is easily known to law enforcement in your area in REAL TIME.

Usually they do not care or it is not worth their time because they probably know if they cracked down on this all the time then most people would not buy DJI drones or probably any of the name brands which allow the police to have real time access to your drone flying.

This is so surprising to me that they have access to this information and that dJI even makes a device to give them full access to all your flying information in real time.

15 minutes from take off two officers were at my door, and one was in my backyard looking for me. They knew exactly where I lived because they had my return to home location. I was rarely over my house and there is no possibly way they could have pin pointed it to my house.

This is such an invasion of privacy here.

I just hope you guys know what you will are dealing with here, especially if you didn't know they had real time easy access to all your flying. They probably know every time I flew in my area, they can probably easily look back at all my flying history and flight paths.

You guys do know that when you fly a DJI drone you are constantly being recorded and your information is easily known to law enforcement in your area in REAL TIME.

Usually they do not care or it is not worth their time because they probably know if they cracked down on this all the time then most people would not buy DJI drones or probably any of the name brands which allow the police to have real time access to your drone flying.

This is so surprising to me that they have access to this information and that dJI even makes a device to give them full access to all your flying information in real time.

15 minutes from take off two officers were at my door, and one was in my backyard looking for me. They knew exactly where I lived because they had my return to home location. I was rarely over my house and there is no possibly way they could have pin pointed it to my house.

I just hope you guys know what you will are dealing with here, especially if you didn't know they had read time easy access to all your flying.
did you just join this forum to tell us something we already know,or were you trying to elicit a response for flying outside the rules

I just hope you guys know what you will are dealing with here, especially if you didn't know they had real time easy access to all your flying. They probably know every time I flew in my area, they can probably easily look back at all my flying history and flight paths.
That would be expected when flying in highly populated areas. I say kudos to the police for catching you. It's one less negative news article we have to read.

Aeroscope isn't anything new and it's not an invasion of privacy.

If it was Aeroscope, which certainly can do what you described, then note that it is only deployed in a very few locations around the country. So to say that everyone flying is constantly being recorded is a huge exaggeration.

see & avoid? What is wrong with flying out of your window and looking at the screen of your cell phone to guide your flying?

Staying by a window is warmer, and gives you extra height.

Do you think I'm really making this up? What is there that makes it seem not believable. I agree that counter terrorist task force coming to your door 15 minutes after taking off is very surprising. But no so much when you see that they have the DJI Aeroscope.

I have a few questions;
1. Why did a counter terrorist task force show up instead of Homeland Security?
2. Was it just one officer/Agent or was there a whole 8-12 man team come to your home
3. What vehicles did they use
4. What type of uniform & ID (clothing) was they wearing
5. Why would they say you could be charge with reckless operation if there was no TFR in place prior to the event
6. Why didn't they ask to see the drone when they said Phantom and you said Mini
7. You never said if they asked for your information to verify who you are
8. What was the parade about to have such attention from Homeland Security
9. Did local Police accompany them
10. What is the normal airspace around your home

These are just a few questions that come to my mind as a prior law enforcement officer & Anti Terrorist unit member for the Marine Corps.

Both the police and DJI HQ have mounted aeroscope antenna throughout NYC. it can't pick you up if you are flying too low or below sight of the antenna but both entities are constantly logging flights. Active monitoring, like you experienced, is likely only done during special events.

I have a few questions;
1. Why did a counter terrorist task force show up instead of Homeland Security?
2. Was it just one officer/Agent or was there a whole 8-12 man team come to your home
3. What vehicles did they use
4. What type of uniform & ID (clothing) was they wearing
5. Why would they say you could be charge with reckless operation if there was no TFR in place prior to the event
6. Why didn't they ask to see the drone when they said Phantom and you said Mini
7. You never said if they asked for your information to verify who you are
8. What was the parade about to have such attention from Homeland Security
9. Did local Police accompany them
10. What is the normal airspace around your home

These are just a few questions that come to my mind as a prior law enforcement officer & Anti Terrorist unit member for the Marine Corps.

These were not federal police, but a branch of the local police force in my area. They were city police.

They were plain clothes officers, only two of them. They luckily didn't as for much information, they did ask for my name briefly when leaving, but probably to just see if he knew the name.

They didn't really care much that I was flying, just said that nobody would really care but you can't fly across an event like that. Which was the parade. He did say it is illegal all over the city to fly.

reckless endangerment is just a generic charge they use for everyone, like reckless driving. If you run from police in a car they hit you with reckless endangerment. Its a generic charge if you put anyone in danger of bodily harm.

I have video of the whole encounter because it was recorded by my security cameras outside my house if anyone has doubts. They also have audio.

Reactions: xspwhite
These were not federal police, but a branch of the local police force in my area. They were city police.

They were plain clothes officers, only two of them. They luckily didn't as for much information, they did ask for my name briefly when leaving, but probably to just see if he knew the name.

They didn't really care much that I was flying, just said that nobody would really care but you can't fly across an event like that. Which was the parade. He did say it is illegal all over the city to fly.

reckless endangerment is just a generic charge they use for everyone, like reckless driving. If you run from police in a car they hit you with reckless endangerment. Its a generic charge if you put anyone in danger of bodily harm.

I have video of the whole encounter because it was recorded by my security cameras outside my house if anyone has doubts. They also have audio.
Would be interesting... yes post it here please.

OK, I will post the video but will want to edit out my license plate in the background.

Here is a photo from the video just in case anyone thinks I made the video up after the fact. I'm posting this on the time stamp of this forum post which is the night of all of this.

I have multiple cameras around my house also. I have yet to see what the guy did when I landed the drone.

In the picture the guy is holding up his badge. You can see his partner in the background with the badge on his front shirt.

Guys, this whole encounter with police gives me a bad feeling about flying drones. There is just something about two police offers showing up at your front door like this 15 minutes into the flight. The whole experience was kind of unnerving to say the least.

XNiuW8v.jpg

OK, I will post the video but will want to edit out my license plate in the background.

Here is a photo from the video just in case anyone thinks I made the video up after the fact. I'm posting this on the time stamp of this forum post which is the night of all of this.

I have multiple cameras around my house also. I have yet to see what the guy did when I landed the drone.

In the picture the guy is holding up his badge. You can see his partner in the background with the badge on his front shirt.

Guys, this whole encounter with police gives me a bad feeling about flying drones. There is just something about two police offers showing up at your front door like this 15 minutes into the flight. The whole experience was kind of unnerving to say the least.

XNiuW8v.jpg
You still haven't said what type of parade was taking place?

Thanks for your posting of the video, as it gives us a clearer picture of what actually occurred. So it would have been better if you stated that you were contacted by local PD and not some counter terrorist unit. They may be part of some special unit of the PD, but not an actual counter terrorist unit that would work as the tactical response for Homeland Security. I still have an issue with why they made contact, unless where you live is controlled airspace and a parade was scheduled. A local parade is far from needing special units using Areoscope tech to keep an eye out for drones in the area. From your own statement the parade was hours away from starting, so its not like you were flying over people or Traffic?

Today in my area we had the California 500, so you have to ask for special permission to fly in that area at all times.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots