DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police showed up my house within 15 minutes of flight today

Just a question to the community ? Relative to the subject matter...if you sell your drone to another. What happens with the info? If the new owner doesn’t register the drone? Thanks for the explanation.

Just a question to the community ? Relative to the subject matter...if you sell your drone to another. What happens with the info? If the new owner doesn’t register the drone? Thanks for the explanation.

If the drone was register you can go to the FAA web site and deactivate your registration, just like when you buy a vehicle from someone. They sign off and you re-register the vehicle under your name, that protects the seller from being responsible for any further liability.

Good point.... I suppose it depends where you and the new owner reside. The laws may be different in both the sellers and buyers locations.
I would suggest that regardless of any local laws you keep a good record (including photo?) of who youy sell it to and inform the local authorities where you are at the time and/pr the FAA . Even if it is not a hard requirement.

Because when the buyer sells it on to ..... an the Nth buyer down the line who uses it in a terrorist/criminal act the first you may know is at 03:30 when the masked and armoured cop with the sub-machinegun sitting on your chest and applying hand cuffs is explaining your rights to you and the other "robo-cop" is explaining to your partner that the smoke and carpet burns from the stun grenades will fade in time. :) That is not the time to try and start explaining you sold the drone to "a bloke off the internet" 3 months ago.

In the UK it wil be easy as it is all one single set of laws. In the US you may have more of a problem if states do things differently to each other.
It wil probably cause similar in the US to selling firearms, cars or any other controlled or semi controlled thing.

VLOS reference is important but tough to apply in every day use IMO. Tough to compare but it's like having the sports car and never drive over speed limits. Nobody will ever buy sport car or drone if you can only play by the rules 100%.

Reactions: Stacy
How did you surmise he's in NYC, admin powers? ?

Yes, I dont think you can fly drones in NYC at all?

Maybe reported by neighbor, or the CTTF uses that Airscope thing or whatever it's called

According to the faa b4youfly, there are places you can fly, and I've seen it done before when I visited NYC.

VLOS reference is important but tough to apply in every day use IMO. Tough to compare but it's like having the sports car and never drive over speed limits. Nobody will ever buy sport car or drone if you can only play by the rules 100%.

With cars brake: the law and they give you a ticket.
With aircraft: break the law and they take away your licence (and maybe the aircraft)
A drone is more coming under the air laws than car ones.
Though it does depend on locations.

Takeaways:

FLY SMART!!! IF there is any type of event that is organized regardless of the event size (or that of your community) EXPECT the area around/above to be a no fly zone, TFR or not. Even smaller communities are very aware of security risks from UAVs (even small ones) that violate the security perimeter of an event. DO NOT expect a TFR for a localized event where non-UAV air traffic is not a factor; if it is not intended to impact commercial/GA it will not get filed (too many local events - would overload the FAA system).

Police are getting guidance in securing these types of events from perceived threats based on a risk assessment model, which unfortunately now has to include threats from vehicles on the ground and in the air. DON'T be part of the problem... Creating a safe space for a community event is not a simple task and many factors need to be evaluated, including balancing the rights of the community around it. Some of these policies come from groups like the International Assoc. of Chiefs of Police (IACP) and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) who I have the good fortune to work with and help write some of this stuff. Many of these policies are driven by domestic terror events that have recently affected non-traditional targets (running/walking events, community fairs) in smaller communities. Sad, but a fact of life.

IF you want to try and capture overhead video and can do so safely, reach out to organizers or police early and offer to share your video with the event organizers or community and see if you can obtain official permission to do so. Some communities would welcome the opportunity to have your video or still shots, again IF they can be captured safely and legally. It NEVER hurts to develop relationships and ask, all you can get is a NO (but you will have established at least some face time with local officials).

With the proliferation of more UAVs, many in the hands of "platinum card pilots" (don't confuse me with facts, I bought it and I am flying it how I want to) there will be additional oversight, so expect and anticipate it.

The encounter between police and the person posting ended happily in this case, but that will not always be the result, so learn from this post. NO one here needs to get charged with anything, risk their equipment being seized, or go thru being taken into custody until it can be determined if you present a threat or not. Fortunately, this occurred in a city with a professional and measured response, other areas might not yield the same results. If you choose to test the system, do not be surprised at the results.

Fly safe and have fun, and respect the rules and the safety of those around you. The public safety providers protecting your community are working hard to better understand and manage risk associated with UAVs. Be an advocate for the UAS/UAV flying community and help them to learn by flying responsibly and being a professional (fly by example).

I agree with VLOS idea in general. Rarely i fly without that. But in this situation that's not issue IMO. Police didn't know he was inside the house. It was only because of big public event...

I'm not trying to hide my identity, it doesn't really matter the police were at my house. I just don't want any one from reading this forum post showing up at my house or something. This should be standard practice on anything you post on the internet.

I would hope the moderators would remove any post where my address is posted.

Funny thing was when I landed the DJI mini in the back yard, the thing is so tiny that I don't think they saw it land right in front of their faces. They were still looking up and didn't see it land about 20 feet in front of them. Then it was camouflaged in the grass, I could barely see it when I went to fetch it.

I'm not trying to hide my identity, it doesn't really matter the police were at my house. I just don't want any one from reading this forum post showing up at my house or something. This should be standard practice on anything you post on the internet.

I would worry if anyone did show up at your house but there are LOTS of nutters on the internet. I was simpley showing how easy it is to join the dots these days, your worry about the LEA tracking your aircraft is minor copmpared to that. Also the LEA have legitimate reasons to track aircraft.

I would hope the moderators would remove any post where my address is posted.
Address and date of birth. Normally personal addresses are not shown in any forums (not just this one) Though any one who is professional usually has a web site mentioned in their signature and their contact details on the web site ...

Funny thing was when I landed the DJI mini in the back yard, the thing is so tiny that I don't think they saw it land right in front of their faces. They were still looking up and didn't see it land about 20 feet in front of them. Then it was camouflaged in the grass, I could barely see it when I went to fetch it.

VLOS is VERY important and you were probalby breaking laws flying it. Particularly in an urban environment. You may have neighbours that reported you. Though they may not say so to your face.

Reactions: old man mavic
but the buildings are of similar standard :)
(and have windows)

And in the US flying from inside isn't going to meet the VLOS in order to See & Avoid for the FAA. Situational Awareness is of paramount importance to help ensure the safety of the NAS. Looking out a window gives tunnel vision and removes (or greatly diminishes) any opportunity to HEAR & Avoid manned aircraft.

just curious...who was the "them" who were standing in your backyard looking up when you landed...Uh..and....is there anything that I haven't ask you that I should have ask you?....as Columbo would have said..;)

And in the US flying from inside isn't going to meet the VLOS in order to See & Avoid for the FAA. Situational Awareness is of paramount importance to help ensure the safety of the NAS. Looking out a window gives tunnel vision and removes (or greatly diminishes) any opportunity to HEAR & Avoid manned aircraft.
So you cannot fly your drone with your back to a wall in the US? Or near buildings? Or near a forest? Interesting. How do you guarantee 360° situational awareness in an urban environment?

And I hope you get windows soon. :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito