DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

POLL - Most used video setting?

What settings do you most frequently film video in? (you can choose 2)

• 2.7k at 25fps

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • 2.7k at 30fps

Votes: 45 58.4%
  • 1080 at 25fps

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • 1080 at 30fps

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • 1080 at 50fps

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • 1080 at 60fps

Votes: 19 24.7%

• Total voters

azmikew

Reactions
I'm curious to know what settings are most frequently being use by other Mavic Mini owners while filming video footage. I use 2.7K at 30fps for most flights, with an occasional 1080p at 60fps when I want to really slow the footage down in post.

Why don't I use 60fps all the time?
I know nothing about filming just so you know.

24 fps at 1080p. My PC is kind of old and editing 4k just doesn't work. Plus I'm usually just filming stuff for posting in YT as a hobby, so 4k isnt really needed.

Why don't I use 60fps all the time?
I know nothing about filming just so you know.
I’ll offer a guess as I’m not really a photographer and just got my first drone a week ago.
But I imagine it’s the trade off of file size and quality. I think 30fps is great for most use cases and will save a lot of storage space. When you need the highest quality video possible go to 60.
maybe there are reasons on the editing side too, but I can only do basic editing so not sure.

Reactions: gizmosforall
60 fps is typically used for when you want slow motion in post production
I’ll offer a guess as I’m not really a photographer and just got my first drone a week ago.
But I imagine it’s the trade off of file size and quality. I think 30fps is great for most use cases and will save a lot of storage space. When you need the highest quality video possible go to 60.
maybe there are reasons on the editing side too, but I can only do basic editing so not sure.

60 p uses 2x the file space as 30 P. The 60 P footage has 1/2 the movement between individual frames, and has 1/2 the problem with strobing, and the need for motion blur. It also makes making slow motion in post work better for the same reasons.

For me, I have only had about 6 cases where I needed 60P but your use cases will determine what choice you should make.

60 p uses 2x the file space as 30 P. The 60 P footage has 1/2 the movement between individual frames, and has 1/2 the problem with strobing, and the need for motion blur. It also makes making slow motion in post work better for the same reasons.

For me, I have only had about 6 cases where I needed 60P but your use cases will determine what choice you should make.

Do you shoot video mostly in 2K 30fps then? So far I've been using 2K 30fps for the majority of my filming and have used 1080P 60fps a handful of times when I wanted to have some really smooth slow motion.

Ahaaa thanks for good info.
When I'm filming 30p I get stutter from my mini so I use 60 to get rid of that.

No, I shoot all 4K. You can always make 2k if you need it. Disk storage is always an issue with digital video, so I have plenty, and don’t think much about minimizing disc storage space.

No, I shoot all 4K. You can always make 2k if you need it. Disk storage is always an issue with digital video, so I have plenty, and don’t think much about minimizing disc storage space.

Ahh, I’m flying the Mavic Mini so 4K isn’t an option. I was hoping for more Mini pilots to chime in with their preferred settings.

Higher framerates give lower quality video because of the maximum bitrate (40 Mbps).
When you double the framerate you need to also double the bitrate in order to keep the same amount of information (quality) in each frame.

I use 2.7K, because I put my Mavic Mini videos on YouTube:
The secret trick when you upload video:
1080p->YouTube encodes with h264 codec, really degraded quality compared to what you uploaded
2.7K -> YouTube encodes with v9p codec, still degraded, but much better than h264 quality

So even if you don't need 2.7K, YouTube will create all its lower resolution clones with the same good quality 'v9p' codec.
Higher bitrate, higher quality, more details, than what you would have using Youtube 1080p/h264 codec.

Reactions: AcorreiA and Klaaz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman