DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poor DNG image

But I haven’t noticed this before - when I was flying the P3P
The raw images won't look fuzzy and pixellated if viewed on software that can open them.
But the embeded thumbnails will if enlarged.

Looking at your images, I'm not sure what problem you are seeing.
The subject in the photo is very close to the lens (less than 3 ft?) and the rest of the photo elements are quite a bit further back.
The subject is clear and sharply focused - check the detail in the T-shirt fabric and hair.
The background details are not so sharp but this is expected when the lens is focused on the close subject due to depth of field issues.
These issues are never going to be a factor in aerial photography where all elements in the photo are well away from the lens.
In my viewer, the jpg is great but the dng is not. And on my screen it’s very obvious.

In my viewer, the jpg is great but the dng is not. And on my screen it’s very obvious.
That's not unusual.
Raw image files are not fit for viewing without some processing - just like an uncooked cake is nothing like a cooked one.
Shooting raw images is for people that want to spend time in Photoshop making adjustments.
Unless that's you, you are going to be better off just shooting jpg images.
I've saved a file to dropbox to show how I've tweaked the dng file to show what I think is a good image.

It's easy to get the impression from forums, that you must shoot raw.
But jpg is just fine for most drone flyers, most of the time.
Here are some examples of the quality you can get from jpg images.
Shipping Photography Examples - Above & Beyond Photography

That's not unusual.
Raw image files are not fit for viewing without some processing - just like an uncooked cake is nothing like a cooked one.
Shooting raw images is for people that want to spend time in Photoshop making adjustments.
Unless that's you, you are going to be better off just shooting jpg images.
I've saved a file to dropbox to show how I've tweaked the dng file to show what I think is a good image.

It's easy to get the impression from forums, that you must shoot raw.
But jpg is just fine for most drone flyers, most of the time.
Here are some examples of the quality you can get from jpg images.
Shipping Photography Examples - Above & Beyond Photography
Super
I send the raw files to my client who tweaks them
Any recommendations on software to edit the raw files

Super
I send the raw files to my client who tweaks them
Any recommendations on software to edit the raw files
Is your client someone who knows their way around Photoshop and will want to take the time to turn raw images into something useable?
Not many would be.
It's more usual for the photographer to supply their client with the finished product.

Is your client someone who knows their way around Photoshop and will want to take the time to turn raw images into something useable?
Not many would be.
It's more usual for the photographer to supply their client with the finished product.
Yes she’ll edit them
So I should buy photoshop?

Yes she’ll edit them
That sounds so unusual I'll add a comment.
A few days ago you didn't know what a raw file was, most non-serious photographers don't.
I would also wonder if your client undertstands raw files and editing them.
So I should buy photoshop?
Photoshop and Lightroom are the most commonly used programs for manipulating raw image files.

That sounds so unusual I'll add a comment.
A few days ago you didn't know what a raw file was, most non-serious photographers don't.
I would also wonder if your client undertstands raw files and editing them.

Photoshop and Lightroom are the most commonly used programs for manipulating raw image files.

Options I use or have used for DNG RAW are CaptureOne, Lightroom, Luminar, Photoshop, and AirMagic. It really depends on how much control you want over the final image and how much you can spend on the software. Also, some programs have a much bigger learning curve, although there are lots of videos on YouTube to get you started with any of them.

Options I use or have used for DNG RAW are CaptureOne, Lightroom, Luminar, Photoshop, and AirMagic. It really depends on how much control you want over the final image and how much you can spend on the software. Also, some programs have a much bigger learning curve, although there are lots of videos on YouTube to get you started with any of them.

DJI support had me buy a faster microSD card, but that didn't work. Now their engineers are looking at the issue and I hope to get an answer soon. I may have to send the aircraft in for an evaluation, but time is money.
RE: software. I don't want to spend a lot of time learning the software, but would like a better platform to view and modify the faw files. What do you think I should buy?

DJI support had me buy a faster microSD card, but that didn't work. Now their engineers are looking at the issue and I hope to get an answer soon. I may have to send the aircraft in for an evaluation, but time is money.
RE: software. I don't want to spend a lot of time learning the software, but would like a better platform to view and modify the faw files. What do you think I should buy?
DJI's help people can sometimes be less than helpful and sometimes give poor advice.
I think you should find out if there really is a problem that needs fixing.

You showed me a perfectly good raw image and it appears to me that there is nothing wrong with your camera.
If you aren't equipped to deal with raw images, and you are shooting for real estate, that shouldn't be a problem anyway.
Don't be fooled into thinking that you must shoot raw images.
Jpg images are quite good enough for almost all real estate photography.
If you have any doubts, look at these images on a good big monitor: Shipping Photography Examples - Above & Beyond Photography
They were all shot using jpg only.

I send an email to you yesterday requesting some of the raw photos so I can check them out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji