DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poor image Quality - Mavic 2 Pro

JDJohnson

Reactions
I am a new quad operator, taking in all the ed. materials and trying to set up a panoramic view at -90 to the ground. So far I have been looking at Waypoints, Quickshots, manual snapshots and Litchi.

Recently I experience a sharp drop off of image quality. Originally the images (*.jpg for starters) looked ok, they were reasonable and I was satisfied with the results. I had plans to switch over to RAW *.DNG images and it was about this time (choosing JPEG and RAW) that the image quality dropped off.

However (not thinking!), I left the gimbal cover on about 3 times after turning on the aircraft so I wonder if this may have damaged the camera's ability to take normal images. My backup drives are ScanDisc Extreme Pro 128GB U3 A2 in the Mavic 2 Pro and a ScanDisc Extreme 128 U3 A2 for the Smart Controller. Both disks are now saving the poorer images so presumably originating in the M2P. In the beginning typical *.JPG images from my yard (using auto settings) look like the following:

orig_img2.jpg

Another earlier shot, typical of many taken, shows the natural color of the sky and pine trees, again using Auto settings:

orig_img1.jpg

These two images are just examples of early *JPG images I took while learning some of the basics flying the M2P. I had always planned to switch to RAW when I began to photograph subject material for a project I am working on.

Here are 2 of the images I took in the past several days. I could never obtain the quality of the above images no matter what setting I tried on the manual camera modes, e.g., I changed ISO between 100-200, shutter speed and aperture across the spectrum (all combinations) and every images seemed to come out underexposed, blue/green as if red was missing. Here are two examples of what I am getting now:

img_quality.jpg

This is about the best I can do even if I set it in Auto there is little improvement. I'm hoping that leaving the gimbal cover on ~3 times didn't damage the camera but I cannot find any information of this specific issue. Any ideas would be helpful - if I need to send the drone in for camera repair I need to make that determination soon as I have an ongoing project I'd like to complete this month. Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions. I am new at this so I may have overlooked settings I am unaware of - I have some training in optics but I am not a photographer.

What is your white balance set at.?......The photos are shifted hard toward the cool side.

I don't believe this could be caused by leaving the gimbal cover on.

Thanks for the suggestion SaladS; looking into the White Balance issue now, will get back with you soon on this (I now understand how critical WB is), it may be at issue here. Educating myself on this subj now.

I am a new quad operator, taking in all the ed. materials and trying to set up a panoramic view at -90 to the ground. So far I have been looking at Waypoints, Quickshots, manual snapshots and Litchi.

Recently I experience a sharp drop off of image quality. Originally the images (*.jpg for starters) looked ok, they were reasonable and I was satisfied with the results. I had plans to switch over to RAW *.DNG images and it was about this time (choosing JPEG and RAW) that the image quality dropped off.

However (not thinking!), I left the gimbal cover on about 3 times after turning on the aircraft so I wonder if this may have damaged the camera's ability to take normal images. My backup drives are ScanDisc Extreme Pro 128GB U3 A2 in the Mavic 2 Pro and a ScanDisc Extreme 128 U3 A2 for the Smart Controller. Both disks are now saving the poorer images so presumably originating in the M2P. In the beginning typical *.JPG images from my yard (using auto settings) look like the following:

View attachment 132002

Another earlier shot, typical of many taken, shows the natural color of the sky and pine trees, again using Auto settings:

View attachment 132003

These two images are just examples of early *JPG images I took while learning some of the basics flying the M2P. I had always planned to switch to RAW when I began to photograph subject material for a project I am working on.

Here are 2 of the images I took in the past several days. I could never obtain the quality of the above images no matter what setting I tried on the manual camera modes, e.g., I changed ISO between 100-200, shutter speed and aperture across the spectrum (all combinations) and every images seemed to come out underexposed, blue/green as if red was missing. Here are two examples of what I am getting now:

View attachment 132004

This is about the best I can do even if I set it in Auto there is little improvement. I'm hoping that leaving the gimbal cover on ~3 times didn't damage the camera but I cannot find any information of this specific issue. Any ideas would be helpful - if I need to send the drone in for camera repair I need to make that determination soon as I have an ongoing project I'd like to complete this month. Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions. I am new at this so I may have overlooked settings I am unaware of - I have some training in optics but I am not a photographer.
Wow. Either you have shifted your color balance to the extreme cool side or there's something wrong with the software. If you're positive that the camera settings are all good, just try to reset back to the original camera settings from the app. If that doesn't work, just reset the firmware once.

What is your white balance set at.?......The photos are shifted hard toward the cool side.

I don't believe this could be caused by leaving the gimbal cover on.
SaladS: Yes, that was the issue. Amazing how much we read etc. and the overlook the "core" color contribution from a correctly set White Balance. When I correctly set it in the M2P the images were back to nearly perfect. Thanks! I learned a valuable photography lesson on this one.

Wow. Either you have shifted your color balance to the extreme cool side or there's something wrong with the software. If you're positive that the camera settings are all good, just try to reset back to the original camera settings from the app. If that doesn't work, just reset the firmware once.
I believe it came down to WB so yes, that was the issue. A concept I sidestepped and didn't realize how critical it WB is to getting the natural color settings correct. I sure do appreciate the expertise on this forum - a real education and great people. Thanks for taking the time Adit.

May I suggest u develop a pre-takeoff checklist & include “camera settings”. This will avoid having yr next forum post “I lost my drone”. I can post my checklist later if you wish but there are lots available on the internet.
Also tape a string or lanyard to the gimbal cover & wrap it around the drone in your case, in this way you’ll be reminded to remove the cover before inserting the battery & powering on.

May I suggest u develop a pre-takeoff checklist & include “camera settings”. This will avoid having yr next forum post “I lost my drone”. I can post my checklist later if you wish but there are lots available on the internet.
Also tape a string or lanyard to the gimbal cover & wrap it around the drone in your case, in this way you’ll be reminded to remove the cover before inserting the battery & powering on.
Yes please! I would love a comprehensive 'Check-List' for the Mavic Pro series

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa