DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Poor quality photos of Mavic 3 classic

Luka

Reactions
Hi. I have had a new Mavic 3 CL drone for a few days now. I bought it only for photography and unfortunately I am disappointed with the image it produces. The image is sharp in the center of the frame, but the further to the side the worse it is. The worst is from the upper left corner, where the whole thing is not only blurred, but also slightly shifted. It's a bit better, but it's also weak in the upper right corner, where we can also see the image is blurred and moving. Additionally, the tear in the painting is visible in many places in the painting, including on the houses. Unfortunately, no photo editing program is able to cope with such degradation. I don't have any more photos because it's still raining. Is it worth leaving a drone with such an image with me, because I'm a bit afraid that it may get even worse after the replacement? Please give me your opinion, it's important to me - thank you!!!

Disc dng -https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lVQfI5hHsBzX0syyDRNFgQGnXcNxNPvV

Last edited:
Reactions: yankfanp
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

If you search for this subject you will find several threads

Hi. I have had a new Mavic 3 CL drone for a few days now. I bought it only for photography and unfortunately I am disappointed with the image it produces. The image is sharp in the center of the frame, but the further to the side the worse it is. The worst is from the upper left corner, where the whole thing is not only blurred, but also slightly shifted. It's a bit better, but it's also weak in the upper right corner, where we can also see the image is blurred and moving. Additionally, the tear in the painting is visible in many places in the painting, including on the houses. Unfortunately, no photo editing program is able to cope with such degradation. I don't have any more photos because it's still raining. Is it worth leaving a drone with such an image with me, because I'm a bit afraid that it may get even worse after the replacement? Please give me your opinion, it's important to me - thank you!!!

Its not a good example because the gimbal on the drone is tilted meaning the capture was slightly moving.
My advice is to try something simple at home on a table , so you get an idea of what a perfect capture is .

I capture brilliant pictures in the Storms , but you still have to negotiate the winds to get a great snap.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain., Land on the Water , and Putting up with Karens telling me how to fly.

Its not a good example because the gimbal on the drone is tilted meaning the capture was slightly moving.
My advice is to try something simple at home on a table , so you get an idea of what a perfect capture is .

I capture brilliant pictures in the Storms , but you still have to negotiate the winds to get a great snap.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain., Land on the Water , and Putting up with Karens telling me how to fly.
it doesn't matter where and how the photo was taken - it is always unnaturally blurry from the center of the frame. It cannot be corrected in any graphics program. I wish I had any test charts which would probably finally clear up any doubts. He has been taking photos for 20 years and has never had a lens so badly calibrated.

Last edited:
it doesn't matter where and how the photo was taken - it is always unnaturally blurry from the center of the frame. It cannot be corrected in any graphics program. he has been taking photos for 20 years and has never had a lens so badly calibrated. Photos are available in the link - mavic.rar (232.68MB) - SendSpace.com
If you are not happy with the IQ just return it to the shop or open a case with DJI and request a replacement unit. No guarantee you get a better one but what can you loose? There are a reasonably good ones out there. Do not forget that the sweet spot for this lens is f5.6. Do not expect perfect IQ from corner to corner at f2.8. It is tiny lens in front of a relatively large sensor so some degradation in sharpness towards edges and corners is to be expected.

If you are not happy with the IQ just return it to the shop or open a case with DJI and request a replacement unit. No guarantee you get a better one but what can you loose? There are a reasonably good ones out there. Do not forget that the sweet spot for this lens is f5.6. Do not expect perfect IQ from corner to corner at f2.8. It is tiny lens in front of a relatively large sensor so some degradation in sharpness towards edges and corners is to be expected.
5.6 is sharper, but with the degraded image it doesn't matter much. I guess no one looked at the photos, but oh well - have a nice evening - I'll contact DJ tomorrow

232 MB of download and I can't open your examples to see your issue.
How about just uploading a few full-sized original jpg image files, which is all that's required to see focus issues.
And don't use whatever compression you did .. my copy of winrar won't open it.
mavic 3 - Google Drive - thanks

Last edited:

Disc dng -https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lVQfI5hHsBzX0syyDRNFgQGnXcNxNPvV
I have the same issue with my Mavic 3 classic. I wish I had a solution, I have been a lifelong photographer so I know it is not my technique. I started with the Mavic 2 Pro in 2018 and those photos are my best!

Reactions: EricJT
I have the same issue with my Mavic 3 classic. I wish I had a solution, I have been a lifelong photographer so I know it is not my technique. I started with the Mavic 2 Pro in 2018 and those photos are my best!
I didn't realize, looking at sharp photos from other drones, that in theoretically professional drones the sharpness looks the worst, I have been involved in photography for almost 20 years and I did not expect such a surprise. I know what you feel. I made a mistake, I could have bought it from the manufacturer, but unfortunately I bought it in my country and I can't return it :( It's good that there is still an exchange and hope :) The lens error was noticed and a label was sent - we'll see what comes back

Reactions: yankfanp
I didn't realize, looking at sharp photos from other drones, that in theoretically professional drones the sharpness looks the worst, I have been involved in photography for almost 20 years and I did not expect such a surprise. I know what you feel. I made a mistake, I could have bought it from the manufacturer, but unfortunately I bought it in my country and I can't return it :( It's good that there is still an exchange and hope :) The lens error was noticed and a label was sent - we'll see what comes back
I will be interested in hearing of your progress, good luck!

The image is sharp in the center of the frame, but the further to the side the worse it is.
When I look at the sort of photos that get these complaints, I want to see something that really demonstrates the problem.
Something with good, hard detail so I can see if there is a problem.
But too often the examples shown have lots of distant tree canopy or distant grass etc.
I squint and stare but it's impossible to really tell if there's a problem.
I opened 6 of the examples and I didn't see any good test photos that would make it easy to tell if there's a real problem.
There'a a lot of soft matter and when there's detail, it's too distant to tell if it's good or not.

You need something that makes it clear whether the camera has a problem or you are just shooting soft subjects.
If you got down closer over the graves and filled the frame with close, hard detail like this:
i-sRWTVzt-L.jpg

... that would be ideal to see what's sharp and what isn't ... to see how good the detail is/isn't.

5.6 is sharper, but with the degraded image it doesn't matter much. I guess no one looked at the photos, but oh well - have a nice evening - I'll contact DJ tomorrow
There is no sharpness degradation at f5.6 which would be a reason for concern. If I should choose between the ultimate sharpness in the middle and uniform sharpness (when it matters) from edge to edge I rather have the uniform sharpness then soft edges and sharp centre. I find the f4.5 to f5.6 to be the best aperture to achieve that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
checksix