DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Portable Radio receiver (recommended )

As mentioned above, I was specifically asked by our local airport to carry a two-way transceiver in order to be able to both monitor air traffic and to announce an emergency if I had androne out of control while doing some aerial work nearby them. This is a good radio also used by pilots as a backup radio. You can find it used for less on EBay as well:

Yaesu FTA550 Handheld VHF Transceiver Amazon.com: Yaesu FTA550 Handheld VHF Transceiver: GPS & Navigation
So good to have just in case.

Totally agree with Carb63...better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Reactions: Carb63
Thx my fellow pilots. You guys are truly the best. So glad to be part of this forum. You give me insights and the education I am looking for to be the best of the best. Have a long way to go but truly inspired by all of you. ??

Thx my fellow pilots. You guys are truly the best. So glad to be part of this forum. You give me insights and the education I am looking for to be the best of the best. Have a long way to go but truly inspired by all of you. ??

EDITED: If you do buy the Yaesu FTA550A, get the A model (AA battery) I linked above- one less charger to worry about and extra AA’s are cheaper than replacing a rechargeable if you buy it used.

Good luck on your 107, everyone should know the materials it covers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Carb63
If you do buy the Yaesu FTA550, get the AA battery model I linked above- one less charger to worry about and extra AA’s are cheaper than replacing a rechargeable if you buy it used.

Good luck on your 107, everyone should know the materials it covers!
Thx Amann

This post being almost a year old - would folks still recommend the Yaesu FTA550A as mentioned AMann or go with the Bearcat unit also mentioned. All I really want to do is be able to monitor CTAF but I admit some of the other features offered by both could be useful. Roughly $90 difference between the two.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure