DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Post Crash Gimbal Overload (with fix)

atatistcheff

Reactions
I've had my Mavic less than a week and - of course - got carried away today in sport mode. Man, sport mode is really cool but it's easy to become intoxicated with the speed this thing has. I ended up augering into the ground at pretty much top speed in sport mode. Fortunately the ground was cushioned somewhat by a sagebrush and about 18 inches of (hard packed) snow. Physical damage was just a single prop. But after the crash my gimbal would not calibrate and came up with the dreaded overload error.

I took it home and inspected the gimbal quite closely. Couldn't see any physical damage at all. The self-test started with the gimbal moving a couple times to calibrate. But it always stopped in the same position. Kind of down-right-rear from the Mavics point of view. The gimbal seemed to move freely, I couldn't find any evidence of binding.

Then I realized that it wasn't the lateral/up-down movement it was the rotation of the focus ring. It was getting stuck about half way through the rotation. Manually rotating it confirmed that it was binding at about half way. What I figure happened was the high speed impact slammed the camera back against the Mavic body and this compressed the rear plate of the camera into the lens. The result was the rotational binding when it tried to run through the full range of focus.

The way I fixed it was to use a very small flathead screwdriver. I inserted it in the gap shown in the photo and pried it back a bit to free up the rotation. I did this in several spots around the ring. There was some visible difference in the size of the gap around part of the circumference. It took about 3 tries to get it free enough for the Mavic to be happy with the self-test.

I am thinking that sending it back to DJI would have resulted in them replacing the camera. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix but after freeing up the rotation the Mavic powers up just fine now and the camera seems to work well.

I have attached two photos, one showing the dead camera state after failing the self-test and one showing where I inserted my flathead screwdriver to pry back the compressed ring. Hopefully this will help someone else who finds themselves in a similar situation. The key is that the gimbal test is not just the XYZ axis but also the lens rotation. Binding in any of those tests will show as a gimbal overload.

20170129_164241.jpg

2017-01-29 16.40.48.jpg

I've had my Mavic less than a week and - of course - got carried away today in sport mode. Man, sport mode is really cool but it's easy to become intoxicated with the speed this thing has. I ended up augering into the ground at pretty much top speed in sport mode. Fortunately the ground was cushioned somewhat by a sagebrush and about 18 inches of (hard packed) snow. Physical damage was just a single prop. But after the crash my gimbal would not calibrate and came up with the dreaded overload error.

I took it home and inspected the gimbal quite closely. Couldn't see any physical damage at all. The self-test started with the gimbal moving a couple times to calibrate. But it always stopped in the same position. Kind of down-right-rear from the Mavics point of view. The gimbal seemed to move freely, I couldn't find any evidence of binding.

Then I realized that it wasn't the lateral/up-down movement it was the rotation of the focus ring. It was getting stuck about half way through the rotation. Manually rotating it confirmed that it was binding at about half way. What I figure happened was the high speed impact slammed the camera back against the Mavic body and this compressed the rear plate of the camera into the lens. The result was the rotational binding when it tried to run through the full range of focus.

The way I fixed it was to use a very small flathead screwdriver. I inserted it in the gap shown in the photo and pried it back a bit to free up the rotation. I did this in several spots around the ring. There was some visible difference in the size of the gap around part of the circumference. It took about 3 tries to get it free enough for the Mavic to be happy with the self-test.

I am thinking that sending it back to DJI would have resulted in them replacing the camera. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix but after freeing up the rotation the Mavic powers up just fine now and the camera seems to work well.

I have attached two photos, one showing the dead camera state after failing the self-test and one showing where I inserted my flathead screwdriver to pry back the compressed ring. Hopefully this will help someone else who finds themselves in a similar situation. The key is that the gimbal test is not just the XYZ axis but also the lens rotation. Binding in any of those tests will show as a gimbal overload.

View attachment 5344

View attachment 5345
good info

Were you flying with the gimbal cover on ?
No gimbal cover. I am still on the fence regarding whether to use it or not. It covers up the air intake directly behind the camera so I'm not keen on doing this when the temperature is hot outside. On the other hand, it was about 28 degrees when I was flying yesterday so that wouldn't have mattered. Probably a good tip to use it if one is doing something new or flying in a fast flight profile close to the ground. ;-)

Has anyone had any over heating issues with the cover on?

Has anyone had any over heating issues with the cover on?
Not sure, I did see an unscientific video from the guy at Drone Valley where he measured the hovering temp with and without the globe. I'm thinking I will probably fly with it installed especially in cooler weather. DJI says you can so for me I will opt for the protection especially when I'm still learning.

I have been flying with the cover on , the pics are better with the cover off .

I also had a light crash and have same error, I have a video showing my camera rotation I was wondering if this is correct. It turns all the way to the right with the camera upside down facing away from me but only a little bit to the left, can someone check if this is true for them on their working mavic? Thanks!!

I also had a light crash and have same error, I have a video showing my camera rotation I was wondering if this is correct. It turns all the way to the right with the camera upside down facing away from me but only a little bit to the left, can someone check if this is true for them on their working mavic? Thanks!!

Cant upload the video, but if anyone knows what I mean that'd be great if you could check for me!

Hi,
I tried the same but still I m getting the same error. And my gimbal get stuck the same way yours does. Any help please.

View attachment 5344

View attachment 5345
Thanks!
I used your info for the same problem. Allthough in my case it was the other rotation point that needed a bit of prying.

Hello guys,

I think I have the same problem... or kinda. I have a small crash and the gimbal starts to said overload..

I tried to recalibrate few times the gimbal but with no luck, altought the process saids Complete and OK.
The y axis must be modify a few degrees clockwise. (see the picture)
When I run the test it goes to the right position during the calibration, like knowing that the gimbal horizon is all right... but after it completes go again to the wrong position...

any help before put my hands into the gimbal??

Attachments

• gimbalYaxis.png
    gimbalYaxis.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
I too had a similar occurrence when I rushed a test flight. My gimbal also took an impact. After I cleaned the turf out and popped the top of the gimbal frame back inside the compartment I tested it's motion. It seemed fined. Then you mentioned the focus ring in the back. Your photo caused me to scrutinize my unit a little closer and I noticed the arm on the focus ring backing plate took an impact bending it slightly. It was binding on the focus ring. Thanks a ton. You're the bestest!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J