Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Post crash mavic 2 pro disassembly questions

LightBridgeStudios

Reactions
Site
www.lightbridge-studios.com
Hey guys,

so I had my 1st and hopefully last crash this weekend at the beach long story short I hit a tree the drone landed on its back in the sand miraculously not as much sand as I was anticipating got on the drone and everything is fine and it still works.. however.. I would really like to disassemble it and really make sure to get any remaining sand out.

I noticed that there is a little nub of plastic or rubber on one of the screws under the drone preventing me from actually inserting a screw driver. Does anyone know if this is an indicator to DJI that I've disassembled the drone? I still have DJI care and I only got the drone in march but I really would like to get inside and make sure theres no more sand without raising any red flags if I were to ever, God forbid, have to claim on dji care.

Below is a link to a photo I took of the nub.

Photo of rubber nub

I've also linked a video below with a partial disassembly guide where the guy talks about the piece of rubber blocking the screw driver being inserted. Link below at timestamp where he mentions it

https://youtu.be/ZyFIidWEQy8?t=71

Regards

Bruce.

Hey guys,

so I had my 1st and hopefully last crash this weekend at the beach long story short I hit a tree the drone landed on its back in the sand miraculously not as much sand as I was anticipating got on the drone and everything is fine and it still works.. however.. I would really like to disassemble it and really make sure to get any remaining sand out.

I noticed that there is a little nub of plastic or rubber on one of the screws under the drone preventing me from actually inserting a screw driver. Does anyone know if this is an indicator to DJI that I've disassembled the drone? I still have DJI care and I only got the drone in march but I really would like to get inside and make sure theres no more sand without raising any red flags if I were to ever, God forbid, have to claim on dji care.

Below is a link to a photo I took of the nub.

Photo of rubber nub

I've also linked a video below with a partial disassembly guide where the guy talks about the piece of rubber blocking the screw driver being inserted. Link below at timestamp where he mentions it

Regards

Bruce.
Maybe contact dji via email or chat and ask them for their thoughts regarding both the possibility of sand inside and you disassembling for cleaning. Get it from the horse's mouth.

Reactions: Otisangb
Maybe contact dji via email or chat and ask them for their thoughts regarding both the possibility of sand inside and you disassembling for cleaning. Get it from the horse's mouth.
Completely agree. If you have refresh I wouldn't touch anything unless you had it from dji in writing.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
the nub you speak of is to let DJI know the drone has been opened. ive heard of others sending their drone in for repairs and it was missing and DJI refused to cover under warranty

Reactions: LightBridgeStudios
you are probably right... either way I did manage to have a peak inside I was able to pull the casing apart just enough from the back to see with a light and there was nothing of concern inside so I promptly shut it back up and thats the end of that lol.. I noticed that there were nubs both on the bottom and top of the drone. most disassembly guides fail to mention this and people will probably take them off thinking its just something stuck in the screws and potentially void the warranty. I'm just gonna leave it as is. if it craps out as a result of that crash or anything else at least I will not have any explaining to do.

i would try to blow out the motors with a low to medium pressure air source. free spin the motors and listen an feel for any type of noise or resistance. also check the front cooling fan thats behind the gimbal. otherwise if those are sand free im sure your fine

i would try to blow out the motors with a low to medium pressure air source. free spin the motors and listen an feel for any type of noise or resistance. also check the front cooling fan thats behind the gimbal. otherwise if those are sand free im sure your fine
yeah that was the 1st thing I did. I blew out the motors they were free of sand. I did manage to take the nose plate off where the forward obstacle avoidance cameras are and I got some minor sand particles out of there. everything checks out. I spoke to DJI they said I can take advantage of the dji care whenever I want so I'll monitor it and just leave it at that and after Christmas when work slows down a bit i'll send it in to get the gimbal replaced using dji care. I've flown a couple times since and it seems to be without any issue.

The only moving part inside the drone is the cooling fan. If the fan is affected by the sand inside, you will get the overheating warning message. As long as the message doesn't show up, there should not be any problems .

Not suggesting you to cheat but I think the rubber nub is just a drop of epoxy glue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom