DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Potential SDK support for Mini 3 Pro in April 2023??????

It seems like DJI intend to release an SDK for the mini3 and mini3pro Q2 this year. There's been a few discussions on the forum about it already. Not sure what will happen regarding the DJI RC, as that currently doesn't allow 3rd party app installation.

I looked briefly at the release notes, and couldn't find if full autonomous waypoints are supported, or just Virtual Stick. Anyone know?

AFAIK it's virtual stick, and I wouldn't anticipate any autonomous onboard waypoint support (beyond what they have for hyperlapse now) for the Mini 3/Pro. In fact, has DJI ever provided on-board waypoint support for a drone that doesn't have side obstacle sensors?

I looked briefly at the release notes, and couldn't find if full autonomous waypoints are supported, or just Virtual Stick. Anyone know?
“SDK” does not equal “fully autonomous missions”. In order for the SDK to support fully autonomous mission, DJI would have to support them first in their app.

AFAIK it's virtual stick, and I wouldn't anticipate any autonomous onboard waypoint support (beyond what they have for hyperlapse now) for the Mini 3/Pro. In fact, has DJI ever provided on-board waypoint support for a drone that doesn't have side obstacle sensors?
Yes... every drone up to the M2 Pro.

After that DJI made the market decision to restrict this feature to only the Enterprise SDK. This release is probably consistent with that, but one can hope 😁

“SDK” does not equal “fully autonomous missions”. In order for the SDK to support fully autonomous mission, DJI would have to support them first in their app.
Not true.

Every model from the M2P back supports autonomous waypoint operation, but GO4 only added some support near the end of it's life, just before the switch to Fly.

The situation is what MADE Litchi successful.

Not true.

Every model from the M2P back supports autonomous waypoint operation, but GO4 only added some support near the end of it's life, just before the switch to Fly.

The situation is what MADE Litchi successful.
The Mini3 is not capable of autonomous at all. Not enough memory or processing power. It overheats while updating without a fan blowing on it. Even with the SDK, you would have to use the RC N1 or RC Pro, the RC is a joke.

Here is the response from DJI Wanda and a link to the whole thread -
"In your case, you enable Focus Peaking, recording, and screen-recording, three functions in total at the same time.
It will make the DJI RC overload so that it can not process it smoothly.
As we said, DJI RC has limited processing capacity compared to DJI RC Pro.
The DJI RC Pro processor has a robust performance and a large storage capacity and supports the installation of third-party apps. The DJI RC, however, does not.
Therefore, it is not a global issue from my perspective."
Does RC screen stutter with focus peaking active?

Reactions: gypsy1
Here is the response from DJI Wanda and a link to the whole thread -
"In your case, you enable Focus Peaking, recording, and screen-recording, three functions in total at the same time.
It will make the DJI RC overload so that it can not process it smoothly.
As we said, DJI RC has limited processing capacity compared to DJI RC Pro.
The DJI RC Pro processor has a robust performance and a large storage capacity and supports the installation of third-party apps. The DJI RC, however, does not.
Therefore, it is not a global issue from my perspective."
Does RC screen stutter with focus peaking active?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh one more time, the answer above demands it:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Please tell me you didn't buy that. Focus Peaking and recording are implemented on the drone (there's no other way) and use ZERO resources on the remote. No matter which model.

This truly is the most pathetic support response I've ever seen from DJI, and I've seen a lot over the years.

What was possibly said by the engineers: Focus Peaking and compressing 4K for recording is overloading the M3P resources, causing transmission problems back to the RC (chiefly lost frames, showing as stuttering and freezing).

If overloaded, this is exactly the functionality you want to starve. First priority is the Flight Controller, then RC input and execution, then camera and image recording, then video link back to the operator.

Last edited:
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh one more time, the answer above demands it:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Please tell me you didn't buy that. Focus Peaking and recording are implemented on the drone (there's no other way) and use ZERO resources on the remote. No matter which model.

This truly is the most pathetic support response I've ever seen from DJI, and I've seen a lot over the years.

What was possibly said by the engineers: Focus Peaking and compressing 4K for recording is overloading the M3P resources, causing transmission problems back to the RC (chiefly lost frames, showing as stuttering and freezing).

If overloaded, this is exactly the functionality you want to starve. First priority is the Flight Controller, then RC input and execution, then camera and image recording, then video link back to the operator.
Maybe you need to rethink your first sentence. Focus Peaking and screen recording are ONLY implemented on the RC. The drone has zero to do with that other than sending the video feed.

Maybe you need to rethink your first sentence. Focus Peaking and screen recording are ONLY implemented on the RC. The drone has zero to do with that other than sending the video feed.
I agree screen recording occurs on on the RC. That's why, of the three operations mentioned, I didn't address it (read my response again).

And no, focus peaking is processed on the drone. Do some googling. It requires the autofocus data (primarily edge contrast detection) internal to the camera system. Indeed, it is pretty much a visual representation of the autofocus analysis of the image.

Back to the problem, if this problem is encountered, the pilot is probably filming 4K/60 h.265. First switch to h.264, which will reduce processing load but preserve the 60fps mode, more important than file size.

If that's not enough, choose between framerate and resolution and either drop to 4K/30 or 2.7K/60. And/or drop focus peaking if you don't really need it.

Last edited:
Not true.
Really? I'll admit, my memory may be a bit fuzzy going back that far, but...

You are probably thinking about "Waypoints 2.0", but your timeline is off.

May 27, 2017 (DJI Go v4.1.0): DJI added Waypoints 1.0 (although it wasn't called "Waypoints 1.0 at the time). This version of waypoints required the drone to be in the air to create a mission. Source:

Aug, 2018: Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom is released. Source:

Jan, 2019 (DJI Go v4.3.12): DJI introduces Waypoints 2.0 replacing Waypoints 1.0. Among other improvements, this version of waypoints allows a mission to be planned prior to taking off. Sources:

Reactions: gypsy1
Thank you for the history of GO4. That really was a side issue, pretty irrelevant to the point I was making.

DJI aircraft have supported autonomous waypoint missions through the M2P. I know from experience. That experience was using Litchi, not GO4.

I've been flying signal-loss missions on Litchi starting nearly a decade ago with my P3.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13