DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Power Lines!

An essential skill for every drone pilot is guessing the correct approximate height of power lines. Guess wrong & suffer the

An essential skill for every drone pilot is guessing the correct approximate height of power lines. Guess wrong & suffer the consequences!
Sorry the pics aren't uploading!
An essential skill for every drone pilot is guessing the correct approximate height of power lines. Guess wrong & suffer the consequences!
wires 4.JPGwires 5.JPG

Attachments

• selfie 54.JPG
    selfie 54.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 178
  • wires 6.JPG
    wires 6.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 172
  • wires 3.JPG
    wires 3.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 180
Yeah, you have to look all around for them at your takeoff point too. I launched in a parking lot and wondered why I saw a black bar go through my video feed. Turned out I was inches away from a power line that was right above me!! I'm more careful now.
I always scout where I'm going to fly with binoculars. Power line locations in Tonto National Forest seem extremely random.

I've checked the power line heights where I fly the most. None are above 60 ft. So, I simply keep my drone above 60 ft at all times. I've had a few close calls though, when coming in for a landing or taking off. I actually hit one, but it just made my drone wobble and fall about 10ft until it stabilized itself.

Wires is one of the reasons I often fly with my ipad 12.9". I am quite confident that I have seen and avoided wires that I had previously missed because the large ipad makes things so much easier to see.

No height limit. If I have lines in area, I fly over and drop down on them to check height, then stay above that. If high power they can screw with your radio reception. Something to think about. Normally 100’ will keep you out of trouble.

Does anyone know if there is a height limit set by the FAA for power lines?
I wouldn't think so, but I don't think I've ever seen any over 100'. Any towers 200' or higher need to be lighted, I would suppose that would mean power poles as well. Distance from an airport makes a difference on marking or lighting also.

Reactions: mereflyer
I agree with the posts above and the towers around here are 100’ or less. However, new pilots need to be aware that if you takeoff in a valley between two towers the lines themselves can be more than 100’.

In the UK, caution should be taken when operating between 5-36 meters from the ground because this is within the average height envelope for insulated and non-insulated above-ground power lines and their respective suspension towers.

I agree with the posts above and the towers around here are 100’ or less. However, new pilots need to be aware that if you takeoff in a valley between two towers the lines themselves can be more than 100’.

Powerlines that cross bodies of water can fall into this category as well, but typically they have "visibility balls" on them so the lines are easier to see.

Reactions: mereflyer
Look but don't touch.

Yikes. 😳

power lines along my street are at 130' with a small wire at about 140' running taut between the poles. I'm in a 150' max height area near and airport so I do get some puckering as they pass under the drone on occasion. The best way to determine the height is to gain some altitude watching the power lines or poles against the horizon. When they cross the horizon note the height of the drone and that's the height of the object. Cell towers are higher around here and plentiful.

An essential skill for every drone pilot
You never did say if you suffered the consequences or you are just posting these photos as a warning to others. I would ask why you chose to set up on the HOT Pavement in the parking lot… It would seem so much more practical, comfortable, less dangerous, and less noticeable to be almost any place other than in the middle of a parking lot.

Wires is one of the reasons I often fly with my ipad 12.9". I am quite confident that I have seen and avoided wires that I had previously missed because the large ipad makes things so much easier to see.
Large screens are great for seeing such things a s power lines, but the brightness of the screen is also very important. Especially on sunny days. I use an 8inch Tripltek Tablet.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Large screens are great for seeing such things a s power lines, but the brightness of the screen is also very important. Especially on sunny days. I use an 8inch Tripltek Tablet.
I also use a Tipltek in the summer. In the winter heat and brightness isn't much of a problem for me :).

I also use a Tipltek in the summer. In the winter heat and brightness isn't much of a problem for me :).
Unfortunately , I'm living in the south Florida, It's sunny almost every day. It's never cold, except for the winter nights when it might reach 60 degrees sometimes 50 degrees. Most months are just hot and humid. I suppose I could use a large screen tablet during my night flights though. Maybe I'll buy one next winter season.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki