DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

power lines

Dan'scams

Reactions
power lines ? providing you dont run into them
do they effect anything while in flight
I would like to video my house but I have power lines across the front of my street in front of my house I would be about 20 feet away

I believe even High Tension Power lines have little effect unless with 1-2m then ya may end up with a fried drone.

Reactions: Dan'scams
power lines ? providing you dont run into them
do they effect anything while in flight
I would like to video my house but I have power lines across the front of my street in front of my house I would be about 20 feet away
i believe it would depend on the amount of power lines i’ve launched from an area where the lines were l-shaped and had interference

Reactions: JimP Florida
I've inadvertently flown very close to some high tension lines during a 'follow me' session. (Didn't realize it until I viewed the video after the fact). There were no ill effects.

I have a friend who flew close enough to touch a high voltage line. He almost got tangled on it, but managed to recover. Again, there were no issues.

No big deal in my experiences. I have flown along high tension power lines and regular neighborhood power lines and have not had any effect. I imagined since the drone is not grounded that electricity is not looking to travel through it.

Electricity can jump 2/3 Mtr under the right conditions from power lines generally best to give them as much room as possible.

That's true, but it will only jump to a conducting pathway. It won't jump to an airborne object.

Your outdoor powerlines works same as your indoor powerlines (same Voltage). They disturb your drone like indoor flying. I never had problems with indoor flying even powerlines near (< 1m) the drone.

Reactions: Rangerider
That's true, but it will only jump to a conducting pathway. It won't jump to an airborne object.
Not strictly true - since the power lines are three phase AC, capacitive loading of the aircraft can cause discharge/arcing.

Last edited:
Not strictly true - since the power lines are three phase AC, capacitive loading of the aircraft can cause discharge/arcing.

The capacitance of the aircraft is negligibly small, so I don't understand what you are envisaging here.

For the high tension wires, it can possibly jump if you get between two wires of high enough different potential, or to ground wire/tower, even if you don't touch anything.

As for feeds to house, the wire from the transformer to your house is the same voltage as in your house. However there are higher voltage lines to that transformer.
A transformer often feeds one or two houses, so the line running down the block is higher.
Probably not high enough to cause issues though. It's not uncommon for overgrown trees to get near or even touch them without issue.

I've flown along power lines a lot - when I get within about 1-2 meters, the aircraft would tend to drift one way or another. I blamed it on the magnetic field around the power line. Note that these were 5 to 30KV lines, so I'm sure they had some current running through them which would cause a small electromagnetic field.

I even tried tried to fly directly over the lines, and found it nearly impossible, no matter how hard I tried. It kept drifting.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying