DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Precise landing isn't being so precise...

kykayak

Reactions
Running DJI GO version 4 and when I take off, I always use auto take off. Let the Mavic hover over my landing pad there for 10-15 seconds, then take off on my flight. I've noticed a few times using RTH, that my Mavic usually lands 5-8 feet away from the 3ft diameter landing pad it took off from. I checked and I have precise landing turned on. Anyone experienced similar or know any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

After taking off, did you ascend 32+ feet straight up? If not, give that a shot and see if it helps.

Reactions: Mavikhan
I didn't try that. So I should let it hover, then ascend 32+ feet straight up? Did you find this through trial and error? Thanks again for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Did you find this through trial and error?
That's how it's designed to work.

I usually take off from pavement/grass, so my landings were not as precise when I tested RTH. That was what I expected though.

I'm loving my Mavic more everyday and really like the Mavic community here at MavicPilots to learn more about it!

Reactions: lotek
After taking off, did you ascend 32+ feet straight up?

Just to piggy-back on this... when you are taking off, the Mavic's downward camera is memorizing the scene below the drone at varying altitudes. It probably takes four to 10 images as you go up, so that it has a little library of images to compare when it's looking for the home position on the way down.

It makes more sense to me now. I was under the impression the drone needed to hover for a short while before flying off for camera to take pictures, but it makes more sense to ascend up so it can take pictures at various heights to matchup on return.

Mine does the same thing. No matter what I try, its usually 5-10 feet away from original take off location

Am I alone in manually taking off and landing more than using the software? It simply feels like I am more in control.

I usually always land on my own. Rarely do I ever trigger RTH, but it's nice when it works the way it's supposed to when go app disconnects on me.
even if the app crashes, you can still land with the remote?

I was just going trough the manual looking for something and read that in order for the precision landing to work the mavic needs to be flown at 10 meters when taking off, that's just go up from your starting position until you reach 10 meters and you're set to go!

Am I alone in manually taking off and landing more than using the software? It simply feels like I am more in control.
Not alone, I haven't even tried RTH. Actually, with it being either snowy or wet now I have been hand launching and hand catching only. Too big of a pain for me to carry some kind of landing pad to keep her clean and dry. ;)

Last edited:
This was the first thing i tested with my mavic and this is what i did ... auto take off then straight up to 40 ft wait a few seconds then fly away ... i did this six times and every time it landed within 5 inches of the take off spot. i was also useing a landing pad.

I get the significance of having them land on pads, especially with such low clearance. However, I guess I'm a bit old because 5-8 feet is impressive to me. I know, we need better, but it's still a wonder if you grew up before the era of GPS, or even before today's accurate GPS systems.

It's still a wonder even if you use accurate GNSS systems haha

I don't use it because it is always windy when I take off so it's already shifted from the centre of the pad, and I like being able to bring it in low and land to avoid trees nearby etc

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J