DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

preprogramming a route beyond the reach of remote antenna

Xooterpust

Reactions
Is there a way to upload to the drone a pre-programmed route that reaches beyond contact with the remote controller? I'm guessing it might involve drawing the route on a map with your finger. For example, if I want it to fly over a site 3 miles away for footage because I can't get any closer to the site by car or on foot, can it be done? I'm just wondering if it is technically possible and am not interested in hearing pious rebukes over the line-of-site or warnings about physical dangers to life, limb, and drone.

Update: I am interested in this as it relates to the Mini Pro 3

Last edited:
Keep your eye on Litchi updates. Not familiar with your drone, but my Air 2S has to remain connected to the RC to work.

Is there a way to upload to the drone a pre-programmed route that reaches beyond contact with the remote controller? I'm guessing it might involve drawing the route on a map with your finger. For example, if I want it to fly over a site 3 miles away for footage because I can't get any closer to the site by car or on foot, can it be done? I'm just wondering if it is technically possible and am not interested in hearing pious rebukes over the line-of-site or warnings about physical dangers to life, limb, and drone.
Basically NO. Not the Mini 2 or 3 or Air 2 or 2s from DJI and not any longer since all these drones (when the SDK becomes available a year from now for 3rd party apps) they can only use "virtual sticks" for control which means when the drone goes out of range of the RC it returns home. If you look for some of the older models (Mavic Pro, Phantom and a few otrher oldies) they can as they store the "routes" on the AC's controller and do what you want but none of the new consumer drones can or will. Newer consumer models store it in the 3rd party app in the RC when it eventually becomes available.

Same question asked and answered here about an hour before your post:

Keep your eye on Litchi updates. Not familiar with your drone, but my Air 2S has to remain connected to the RC to work.
Litchi and the others won't do what he wants. He wants the route to continue when the AC is out of range of the RC. Not gonna happen.

Basically NO. Not the Mini 2 or 3 or Air 2 or 2s from DJI and not any longer since all these drones (when the SDK becomes available a year from now for 3rd party apps) they can only use "virtual sticks" for control which means when the drone goes out of range of the RC it returns home. If you look for some of the older models (Mavic Pro, Phantom and a few otrher oldies) they can as they store the "routes" on the AC's controller and do what you want but none of the new consumer drones can or will. Newer consumer models store it in the 3rd party app in the RC when it eventually becomes available.

Same question asked and answered here about an hour before your post:
Well, fecal matter. I guess that answers the question. Thanks.

Litchi and the others won't do what he wants. He wants the route to continue when the AC is out of range of the RC. Not gonna happen.
Thanks for your extra knowledge

Update: I am interested in this as it relates to the Mini Pro 3
I'm not sure if my memory serves me correctly, but I thought I remember creating a route out of range of the Remote , BUT THAT WAS A MAVIC 2 PRO. I remember being very nervous when the remote disconnected from the drone. It was disconnected for about 5 minutes, then as it returned the remote and drone linked back together. Again, this was a Mavic 2 Pro. If anyone knows, does the M2Pro capable of doing that? I swear it did.

I'm not sure if my memory serves me correctly, but I thought I remember creating a route out of range of the Remote , BUT THAT WAS A MAVIC 2 PRO. I remember being very nervous when the remote disconnected from the drone. It was disconnected for about 5 minutes, then as it returned the remote and drone linked back together. Again, this was a Mavic 2 Pro. If anyone knows, does the M2Pro capable of doing that? I swear it did.
The Mavic 2 Pro could do this and possibly the last consumer DJI drone that could?

Yes. The M2 and earlier could do that since it stores the route internally in the AC. That was the end of it. No more other than the commercial models. Anything using DJI FLY cannot which is a good way to look at it.

The Mavic 2 Pro could do this and possibly the last consumer DJI drone that could?
At the moment yes - since then they've argued "hardware limitations" which nobody really buys.
They're *SUPPOSED* to be adding it to Mavic 3 but still haven't.

Given Mavic 1 and Mavic 2 did and nothing later it looks deliberate. Presumably trying to separate consumer from professional drones. I'd guess a future Phantom and/or Inspire series does have it.

Might also be less issue regulatory if you don't have something with potentially no control from the ground doing its own thing in the air for 20-30 minutes.

The P34K , Air 1 both fly beyond RC signal limits with Litchi with no problems. DJI updates may eliminate this capability, as DJI appears to be phasing out this capability.

There is a pretty strong security reason that this was removed from over the shelf consumer drones

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest