DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prescott, AZ Question, extreme Southwest

kf6dlq

Reactions
Hello,

In Prescott, AZ in the estreme southwest with Magenta dots is a Class E4 Extension (it looks like to me), over Kingswood Estates/Wildwood Estates, and Iron springs. Reading the chart, I am a bit confused along with the Notams. I think that the E4 Extension (which I dont need permission to go to 400 ft, becomes E2 when the tower closes). In B4UFly, it gives a E Class Warning of E2, in AirMap, it says it is OK, KittyHawk just says it is not controlled airspace.. I am confused as I know KPRC is a little confusing, and the tower does close. Am I safe to take my drone up in this extension? I cannot get a clear cut answer, but want to fly responsibly. I cant get a LAANC approval, as one program says it is not controlled airspace to really confuse matters.

SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts - Magenta dotted line, near "Iron Springs" To me it looks like Class E4 when tower is operational.

Thanks!

L

Last edited:
I need to preface my response with I used to fly VFR general aviation aircraft many decades ago and this stuff is pretty rusty for me.

I took a look at the Phoenix sectional and the Notams for PRC and it seem like it is class E (surface) only during certain hours but could only find a NOTAM that addresses instrument landing procedure for runway 21 that could apply but does not mention any hours of applicability. My best guess is this airspace is active only during low visibility when the ILS is used. Otherwise it is class E (700). I would call PRC and check with them to be sure.

Last edited:
Not sure if you got this figured out, but it looks like you do not need any authorization. Here is some good information on the subject. Scroll to the bottom for a graphic that shows exactly what you’re talking about.

it did, thanks! It is E4 airspace until the tower is unmanned in evening, then switches to E2 airspace. One of the few that do. Thanks for the assistance all :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3