DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pretty cool stuff (ferroelectric nematic liquid crystal)

itsneedtokno

I'm chillin, appreciate it though.
Reactions
Site
codyshoaf.myportfolio.com
Phys.org: After a century of searching, scientists find new liquid phase.

I've always LOVED magnets, and am a closet inventor, so this is right up my alley.

Thanks for sharing. I’m amazed that the resulting homogeneous colloids possess a significantly amplified nematic orientational coupling. I read a recent study that found the nematic orientation coupling increases by ∼10% for particle concentrations of 0.2%. It’s awesome that a manifestation of the increased orientational order is that the clearing temperature of a nematic colloid increases by up to 40 °C compared to the pure liquid crystal host.

Now if we can harness that energy to power-up a Mavic without the need for calibration, we‘d get this forum in either a tizzy or a fit (field induced transitions). :cool:

Thanks for sharing. I’m amazed that the resulting homogeneous colloids possess a significantly amplified nematic orientational coupling. I read a recent study that found the nematic orientation coupling increases by ∼10% for particle concentrations of 0.2%. It’s awesome that a manifestation of the increased orientational order is that the clearing temperature of a nematic colloid increases by up to 40 °C compared to the pure liquid crystal host.

Now if we can harness that energy to power-up a Mavic without the need for calibration, we‘d get this forum in either a tizzy or a fit (field induced transitions). :cool:

How about an adjustable filter, but adjustable on the fly... Literally ?

Wouldn't an FLCD in front of the camera be enough for a filter? Would the price be astronomical? If this concept doesn't make sense, I can elaborate, but I'm always trying to think about the consumer and the end cost.

I'm imagining using the FLCD as a "tinted window" the likes of that found on a Maybach S600, labeled as "Magic Sky Control". My understanding is that it would not be hard to supply a variable electrical current using resistors to a tiny FLCD.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Phys.org: After a century of searching, scientists find new liquid phase.

I've always LOVED magnets, and am a closet inventor, so this is right up my alley.

Fascinating.

At the same time I can just imagine meeting one of these researchers at the University of Colorado and asking:
"So, what do you do?"

Then the eyes glazing over as that person describes their research into Nematic liquid crystals. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: itsneedtokno
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure