DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prevent landed MP from RTH when connection lost?

soundkite

Reactions
If I am forced to land my MP away from Home, but there is still plenty of battery, how do I prevent it from taking off and RTH when it loses connection? In other words, I don't want it to leave its location when I jump in my car to go get it! Also, if, at some point after my drone has landed, the battery gets low, will RTH be triggered? Perhaps I'm over thinking this scenario?

Welcome to the forums. All you need to do is be sure that the motors are shut down. They will not automatically restart.

Reactions: Drgnfli
If I am forced to land my MP away from Home, but there is still plenty of battery, how do I prevent it from taking off and RTH when it loses connection? In other words, I don't want it to leave its location when I jump in my car to go get it! Also, if, at some point after my drone has landed, the battery gets low, will RTH be triggered? Perhaps I'm over thinking this scenario?
You are not overthinking it. There was a post previously on this forum, where a pilot was on one side of a lake, landed the Mavic near the car, intending to walk around. "All of a sudden", he heard the Mavic returning over the lake, but know with a low battery, some cool flying got the Mavic on dry ground. I also think that @Qoncussion also did some testing, when you land be sure to gold the stick down to complete the landing and shut off the motors.

Reactions: Qoncussion
I think once the motor shuts, the home point clears. When the motor starts, it logs that current point as new home point, so no chance of RTH if motor fully stops.

Here is a better scenario, guys. I live in a rural area. What if I want to fly to another pasture, land, and then go get the drone? If I initiate LAND, as the drone gets low it will lose connection to the controller. The question is WILL IT CONTINUE TO LAND AND SHUT DOWN???? Or will it just change its mind about landing, go back up and RTH with a loss of signal?
I would like to fly elsewhere, land, with that as the new home point and drive to the drone to relaunch from there.

Awesome hands on research, well done....Now I am interested in mod to disallow DJI from tracking my drone. I fly safe and I am pretty strict about obeying the laws federal and state. But i just don't like the idea of any of my flight records or content in anyone elses' database

Here is a better scenario, guys. I live in a rural area. What if I want to fly to another pasture, land, and then go get the drone? If I initiate LAND, as the drone gets low it will lose connection to the controller. The question is WILL IT CONTINUE TO LAND AND SHUT DOWN???? Or will it just change its mind about landing, go back up and RTH with a loss of signal?
I would like to fly elsewhere, land, with that as the new home point and drive to the drone to relaunch from there.

It is kind of risky but as a solution you could set the action when connection lost to ‘Landing’ instead of ‘RTH’.
(I have never tried)

Awesome hands on research, well done....Now I am interested in mod to disallow DJI from tracking my drone. I fly safe and I am pretty strict about obeying the laws federal and state. But i just don't like the idea of any of my flight records or content in anyone elses' database
Info can be found here:
DJI Dashboard - How To tips and tricks *MAVIC* - RC Groups

Scroll about a quarter of the way down the page to: "GO App patching...what is that all about?!!"

It is kind of risky but as a solution you could set the action when connection lost to ‘Landing’ instead of ‘RTH’.
(I have never tried)
OK, guys, I just went outside and tried this. It works great. I launched from my pad at home, flew out into the field over a suitable landing spot. I had already set the option of what to do when signal is lost to LAND. So my drone is out in the field. I turned off my controller. It hovered about half a minute and then slowly landed. (Note: that is now the new RTH spot.) It's important to remember that this is what the drone will do only if signal is lost. If the battery still wants a return to home when low, that will still happen. If you push the RTH button that is also what will happen. But for those who want to fly to a distant point, have the drone land. Turn off the controller and drive to the drone to relaunch from a new home point, this is how it should be done TO AVOID trying to land, losing signal due to distance, trees, etc, and having it go back up to RTH instead of land.
To recap an actual scenario: Now I can fly to a distant pasture. Land. Get in my ATV and drive to that point and relaunch and fly from there with the new RTH point being right there where it landed.

Reactions: FalconLight
OK, guys, I just went outside and tried this. It works great. I launched from my pad at home, flew out into the field over a suitable landing spot. I had already set the option of what to do when signal is lost to LAND. So my drone is out in the field. I turned off my controller. It hovered about half a minute and then slowly landed. (Note: that is now the new RTH spot.) It's important to remember that this is what the drone will do only if signal is lost. If the battery still wants a return to home when low, that will still happen. If you push the RTH button that is also what will happen. But for those who want to fly to a distant point, have the drone land. Turn off the controller and drive to the drone to relaunch from a new home point, this is how it should be done TO AVOID trying to land, losing signal due to distance, trees, etc, and having it go back up to RTH instead of land.
To recap an actual scenario: Now I can fly to a distant pasture. Land. Get in my ATV and drive to that point and relaunch and fly from there with the new RTH point being right there where it landed.
VERY VERY IMPORTANT to switch that option back to RTH from Land (if signal is lost), or next time you lose signal you might have your drone landing on a tree, in a lake, in a deep crevice or on some people or other really bad place.

There's also the option to swipe left on the screen to open the shortcut, and select the drone's current location as the new home point.
You do risk someone finding the drone and stealing it while you make your way to your drone on your ATV.

So a couple years ago, my first flight with a set of 4 watt amps, I hit my personal distance best at almost 3 miles out. but I didn't realize I was going with the wind, as it started picking up a bit. so Mavic initiated an RTH. watching the speed struggling to get above 5-7mph, I finally canceled the RTH and flipped on Sport mode and tried like hell to get back home. at 22% it declared critically low battery (not sure why, its set at 30%warn 10% land) so at about 1000ft away, it was going down. so I pick a good area I know near a pond, so as it was coming down I lost signal at about 70ft. So I jumped in the truck and headed to it and walked right up to it sitting nicely on the ground turned off but very hot sitting in the thick grass. once I got home and watched the video from the sd card, it came down and hovered at 2 feet for about 3 minutes, then slowly landed itself an continued to record for an additional several minutes then battery finally shut down.. I had all bottom sensors and landing protection on and front OA off and RTH on sig loss. I figure the only reason it didnt try to return home at signal loss was because battery was too low... should I have just hit the land button?? I knew it was going to loose signal cause of all the trees we have..

Last edited:
So a couple years ago, my first flight with a set of 4 watt amps, I hit my personal distance best at almost 3 miles out. but I didn't realize I was going with the wind, as it started picking up a bit. so Mavic initiated an RTH. watching the speed struggling to get above 5-7mph, I finally canceled the RTH and flipped on Sport mode and tried like **** to get back home. at 22% it declared critically low battery (not sure why, its set at 30%warn 10% land) so at about 1000ft away, it was going down. so I pick a good area I know near a pond, so as it was coming down I lost signal at about 70ft. So I jumped in the truck and headed to it and walked right up to it sitting nicely on the ground turned off but very hot sitting in the thick grass. once I got home and watched the video from the sd card, it came down and hovered at 2 feet for about 3 minutes, then slowly landed itself an continued to record for an additional several minutes then battery finally shut down.. I had all bottom sensors and landing protection on and front OA off and RTH on sig loss. I figure the only reason it didnt try to return home at signal loss was because battery was too low... should I have just hit the land button?? I knew it was going to loose signal cause of all the trees we have..
As RayOz said above in response to my question about landing in a far off spot, you should've probably flown over a good landing spot, slid left on the screen real quick while you still had signal to make that spot the new home point and then tried to land. As you would've gotten lower and lost signal, instead of the drone trying to fly up again and head home, perhaps over the lake, it would just land right there in your chosen spot and not run out of battery trying to get to the original home point and landed who knows where. Note: You would also have a record in your flight track where to go look for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb