DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro vs air

I own both.

I also own both...from a flying perspective I prefer the Pro, though I don't have much flying time with the Air yet. I mainly bought it for its portability, because I no longer trust my Spark and I like buying stuff ;)

Can you/will you share why you don’t trust the Spark?

I have the p4a I preordered the air but when I couldn’t get a release date I bought the pro haven’t flown yet but have 30 day return now the air is out wondering if I should swap

Can you/will you share why you don’t trust the Spark?
I initially bought the Spark for its "ultra" portability, packs nicely in the swing-arm bag on my Harley when on my weekend rides. The last 2 or so times I've used it I received terrible video feeds, thus making it tough to record.

If you had to keep one besides the air being smaller what would you keep

If you had to keep one besides the air being smaller what would you keep
If this question was directed at me...I would keep my Pro over the Air. But in all fairness I have not flown my Air that much due to the weather here in the Northeast.

Hey everyone, I have been a long time dreamer. I have finally decided its time. Thank you all for your so very helpful insights. Boards like this and people like you are invaluable.

I am an avid personal photographer. Ask my wife.. Lol. Anyways to my point. I have done my research and still on th fence. I have finally decided to wait for my birthday in April. This, if the rumor mill is right should give me a better perspective..plus i'm in Ma..so makes sense to wait a little. After having compiled all the specs for each device (including two that don't exist yet). My choices are of course the MA, MPP, Pro2, and Evo. If the last two do not materialise, then i think the Mavic Pro Platinum will win.
Sorry if I rambled..

Which do you like better
It's a tough choice. The Mavic Pro and Mavic Air excel at different things.

Here are some things I like about the Mavic Air:
  • The build quality appears to be much better than the Mavic Pro (we'll have to see how it holds up over time)
  • The camera/gimbal is protected inside of the Mavic Air's body
  • The gimbal lock is easy to attach and there is no way it can accidentally fall off
  • The folding mechanism for the arms seems to be a bit more sturdy
  • It's smaller and lighter than the Mavic Pro
  • The props are one solid piece (one less point of failure)
  • It has 8 GB of internal memory (useful if you forget a memory card)
  • The remote controller sticks are removable (handy if you need to protect the sticks when storing the remote controller)
  • The battery snaps in more securely (and DJI GO will alert you if it's not snapped in properly)
  • The camera has a removable filter (and the filters screw onto the camera)
If you own the Mavic Pro now, are aware of the cons of the Mavic Air (especially the shorter battery life & range), and don't think those cons are going to set you back, then the Mavic Air could be the next drone for you. If you're looking for a drone that's even better than the Mavic Air, you only need one drone, you don't mind spending ~$500 more for it, then I'd recommend you wait for the Mavic Pro 2 to be released in the next month or so (according to the word on the street).

Reactions: Daptone and ToddR
It's a tough choice. The Mavic Pro and Mavic Air excel at different things.

Here are some things I like about the Mavic Air:
  • The build quality appears to be much better than the Mavic Pro (we'll have to see how it holds up over time)
  • The camera/gimbal is protected inside of the Mavic Air's body
  • The gimbal lock is easy to attach and there is no way it can accidentally fall off
  • The folding mechanism for the arms seems to be a bit more sturdy
  • It's smaller and lighter than the Mavic Pro
  • The props are one solid piece (one less point of failure)
  • It has 8 GB of internal memory (useful if you forget a memory card)
  • The remote controller sticks are removable (handy if you need to protect the sticks when storing the remote controller)
  • The battery snaps in more securely (and DJI GO will alert you if it's not snapped in properly)
  • The camera has a removable filter (and the filters screw onto the camera)
If you own the Mavic Pro now, are aware of the cons of the Mavic Air (especially the shorter battery life & range), and don't think those cons are going to set you back, then the Mavic Air could be the next drone for you. If you're looking for a drone that's even better than the Mavic Air, you only need one drone, you don't mind spending ~$500 more for it, then I'd recommend you wait for the Mavic Pro 2 to be released in the next month or so (according to the word on the street).

Thank you. You make great points. All of which I agree.

My hope is that DJI releases the Mavic Pro 2 in the next month or so. I think many of the obvious changes (improvements) from base design that have been applied to the Mavic Air will be on the next edition of the Pro; as well as a few more. The gimbal system and shield makes me wonder. The build design of the Mavic Air would likely hinder any ability to upgrade sensor size. I for one will wait and see. Patiently .. lol

Reactions: Daptone
I initially bought the Spark for its "ultra" portability, packs nicely in the swing-arm bag on my Harley when on my weekend rides. The last 2 or so times I've used it I received terrible video feeds, thus making it tough to record.

I to have been plagued recently with horrible Spark video feed. It’s not the same Spark I bought in July. I fly it frequently in the same area and it’s hit or miss on the feed. Makes me wonder if this will be the case with the Mavic Air.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf