DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problem with Smart Controller and Mavic 2

PointG

Reactions
When using my Smart Controller with my Mavic Pro 2 I regularly get errors where the controller and the Drone appear to disconnect.

Without apparent reason the screen on the Controller will go from the flying view screen back to either the "Go Fly" screen or the "Aircraft Status" screen.

When it does happen it easily and immediately goes back to the flying screen either by hitting the "Go Fly" button or "X ing" out the "AC Status" page.
I have done a video screen capture of this happening but I see nothing out of the ordinary before it happens.

This behavior does not happen when using the normal controller and my iPad.

I have reinstalled the Smart Controller SW using the DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic and the firmware for the Aircraft to no avail.

Installed versions are:
Controller- V 1.00.0530
Android 7.1.2
DJI Go 4.3.16

Aircraft- 01.00.040Both

Fly Safe's are 01.00.01.16

On check all devices say that versions are current.

I also have Litchi installed but it is not running.

If any other information is required please give me the file names etc and I will upload.

Thanks in advance!

G

When using my Smart Controller with my Mavic Pro 2 I regularly get errors where the controller and the Drone appear to disconnect.

Without apparent reason the screen on the Controller will go from the flying view screen back to either the "Go Fly" screen or the "Aircraft Status" screen.

When it does happen it easily and immediately goes back to the flying screen either by hitting the "Go Fly" button or "X ing" out the "AC Status" page.
I have done a video screen capture of this happening but I see nothing out of the ordinary before it happens.

This behavior does not happen when using the normal controller and my iPad.

I have reinstalled the Smart Controller SW using the DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic and the firmware for the Aircraft to no avail.

Installed versions are:
Controller- V 1.00.0530
Android 7.1.2
DJI Go 4.3.16

Aircraft- 01.00.040Both

Fly Safe's are 01.00.01.16

On check all devices say that versions are current.

I also have Litchi installed but it is not running.

If any other information is required please give me the file names etc and I will upload.

Thanks in advance!

G

In a similar thread, it was found that folks were accidently hitting either the back button or the top left corner of the screen which also goes BACK - to the Fly Screen. One guy even 3d printed a small piece to keep his fingers away from that corner of the screen.

I also have this problem with my SC and hoping a new firmware will fix it. It seems like it has something to do with the video cache. If I delete mine it will be fine for a flight or two and then the go 4 app will start crashing again. It's really turned into a huge pain in the $%& for me.

I also have this problem with my SC and hoping a new firmware will fix it. It seems like it has something to do with the video cache. If I delete mine it will be fine for a flight or two and then the go 4 app will start crashing again. It's really turned into a huge pain in the $%& for me.
I'm having the same problem that you are describing. I'm not sure if it's the exact problem the OP is talking about. In any case, in looking through the files on the sd card in the SC, I found a log file that says that the DJI Go 4 app was looking for a certain amount of memory, and was unable to get it, so it crashed. I have plenty of memory, almost 10Gb available, so that makes no sense. Also this only started happening after almost 50 flights, and I haven't changed anything in the SC. I am hoping that the update that they keep advising you of every time you start the DJI Go 4 program will fix this. As you said, it's a huge pain in the $%& for me too.

What is your video cache set to ? 2GB limit?

Paul C

I'm having the same problem that you are describing. I'm not sure if it's the exact problem the OP is talking about. In any case, in looking through the files on the sd card in the SC, I found a log file that says that the DJI Go 4 app was looking for a certain amount of memory, and was unable to get it, so it crashed. I have plenty of memory, almost 10Gb available, so that makes no sense. Also this only started happening after almost 50 flights, and I haven't changed anything in the SC. I am hoping that the update that they keep advising you of every time you start the DJI Go 4 program will fix this. As you said, it's a huge pain in the $%& for me too.
10GB memory, or 10GB storage?
If the 10GB is storage, then it's not relevant if app was calling for more RAM.

10GB memory, or 10GB storage?
If the 10GB is storage, then it's not relevant if app was calling for more RAM.
It's almost 10Gb free in the SC's internal storage. BTW, I flew 2 batteries worth of flying today after clearing the cache, and deleting about half of my saved maps. For the first time in a long while I had no software crashes. I don't know where the maps are stored. I looked for them on the SD card in the SC and couldn't find them, unless they get named something I wouldn't recognize. After deleting them I also didn't see an increase in free internal storage on the SC, so I don't understand what's going on, but I am very happy to be able to fly again without the DJI Go 4 crashing.

When you run out of local cache, that’s not the behavior. You get an error saying you can’t cache video. Been there.....

Fortunately not having this issue....

Well I deleted the video cache, and watched my fingers and they didn't touch anything but it still went to the Go Fly screen while I was looking at it.
How do I check the available memory?

OK, I did a factory reset on the M2 . (didn't do anything to SC)
Had to download the DJI Assistant for the Mavic 1 to do it, they seem to have omitted the factory reset option in the Assistant for the M2.
After a quick flight with the SC no issues.
Hope to do a longer test this weekend before trusting it.
Thanks to all!
G

Reactions: ff22
When you run out of local cache, that’s not the behavior. You get an error saying you can’t cache video. Been there.....

Fortunately not having this issue....
It could be if the allowed cache size approaches the remaining free space in storage. Then the whole OS suffers.

I'm sure the map cache is somewhere in internal storage. The only item that I know of that you can redirect to SD card is video cache, even though the file structure suggests other items could be redirected.

After flying with the smart controller just once, and having the SC disconnect from the drone, reading all the issues with Airmap not working on the SC, it really seems that using an iPad with cellular connection is a much better way to go. My previous flights with the iPad and the stock controller were just fine. I'm very surprised DJI hasn't created a better working device... especially for $750 bucks.

Reactions: PointG
I'm very surprised DJI hasn't created a better working device...
Whats more surprising is that it does not fulfill its original promised functionality.
Even after having a beta that worked well with the P4 ProV2 the last upgrade did not add this functionality.
There has been no mention of adding this functionality.
They marketed this notso "Smart Controller" with fraudulent promises.
Wish I had the time and $ to institute a class action lawsuit against them for this fraud.

Whats more surprising is that it does not fulfill its original promised functionality.
Even after having a beta that worked well with the P4 ProV2 the last upgrade did not add this functionality.
There has been no mention of adding this functionality.
They marketed this notso "Smart Controller" with fraudulent promises.
Wish I had the time and $ to institute a class action lawsuit against them for this fraud.

I needed something that had a brighter screen and didnt die in the cold. The SC seemed to fill the bill. I would have gotten the Crystal Sky but haven't heard very good things about it either. But that might be a better idea. DJI makes this to work with IOS but Apple doesnt make a screen bright enough to work well outside. STUPID.

After flying with the smart controller just once, and having the SC disconnect from the drone, reading all the issues with Airmap not working on the SC, it really seems that using an iPad with cellular connection is a much better way to go. My previous flights with the iPad and the stock controller were just fine. I'm very surprised DJI hasn't created a better working device... especially for $750 bucks.

Yep, I’m with ya. Never had a problem with my phone & regular controller. It makes me nervous to fly with my SC. I have lost confidence in it.

Reactions: PointG
Today after completing few minor updates i tried to charge the SC then after a blink it didn't respond charging and never restart again. Guys pls help me, how to fix this issue.

Today after completing few minor updates i tried to charge the SC then after a blink it didn't respond charging and never restart again. Guys pls help me, how to fix this issue.
You might want to try a new post for your problem (and maybe delete this one so the mods don't flag you for multiple posts on same issue) since it is unrelated to the one initially covered in this thread.
You would probally get a better response.
Good luck!

Reactions: Afghanpilot

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rle