DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problems after update or was it the sun?

Noremac

Reactions
Hey all. I hope I'm posting this correctly.
I have had my Mavic for a few months now.
All has been great and I've been very impressed with my new toy.
Recently I updated to the latest software (1000) I did a few test flights and all seemed normal.
Within a couple days of doing the update I got home from work at 5:30 am and saw the sunrise popping up over the mountains and thought it would be fun to take off and film it and get some pics.
Since that flight I've noticed a poorer than normal image transmission during flight and even the recordings seem less than what they used to be. Also the drone has started to drift side to side and up and down. It used to be solid as a rock, but now both visually and on my monitor (iPad mini 4 wifi) the drone drifts left to right and up and down. Sorta rocks back and forth during hover. Might Evan be moving slightly forward and backward. It's hard to tell.
It's not far. Stays within 6 inches if I had to guess. Really rather annoying. It happens low. It happens high. Close and far. No wind and light wind.
My question is did the update do this or did pointing the camera and sensors directly at the sun hurt something. Both position and picture problems point me in the direction of the sun but reading reviews of the new update tells me that at least maybe the image quality might be due to update. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Not saying it was the update, but pointing into the sun isn't going to damage the sensors or the camera. It can fool the sensors for obstacle avoidance, etc. but it won't damage them permanently.

Reactions: Noremac
I think i am experiencing the same thing today i noticed when only sitting approx 4 to 5ft and looking at the mavic and the camera she is slightly waving left and right. Does not seem as stable as she was out the box i have also done the latest update. I would be keen to here anyone who has any ways to solve this ?

Not saying it was the update, but pointing into the sun isn't going to damage the sensors or the camera. It can fool the sensors for obstacle avoidance, etc. but it won't damage them permanently.
Thank you for that info. Yeah, I was thinking it shouldn't hurt it but it just lined up with the timeline of the problem starting. I'm glad to hear it's not that.

I don't know about that. Unless it messed it up for good because it does it every time I've flown since.

I had these issues a couple of days ago aswell. Mavic is only 3 weeks old.

Last edited:
Hey all. I hope I'm posting this correctly.
I have had my Mavic for a few months now.
All has been great and I've been very impressed with my new toy.
Recently I updated to the latest software (1000) I did a few test flights and all seemed normal.
Within a couple days of doing the update I got home from work at 5:30 am and saw the sunrise popping up over the mountains and thought it would be fun to take off and film it and get some pics.
Since that flight I've noticed a poorer than normal image transmission during flight and even the recordings seem less than what they used to be. Also the drone has started to drift side to side and up and down. It used to be solid as a rock, but now both visually and on my monitor (iPad mini 4 wifi) the drone drifts left to right and up and down. Sorta rocks back and forth during hover. Might Evan be moving slightly forward and backward. It's hard to tell.
It's not far. Stays within 6 inches if I had to guess. Really rather annoying. It happens low. It happens high. Close and far. No wind and light wind.
My question is did the update do this or did pointing the camera and sensors directly at the sun hurt something. Both position and picture problems point me in the direction of the sun but reading reviews of the new update tells me that at least maybe the image quality might be due to update. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
I am having the same issues and had replace the sensors but still same problem. It seemed to happen right after updates drone is not the same. I noticed a not very clear image and video on play back. loosing the image completely or blotchy in a 1/2 to 1 mile or so away. Having issues with campus as well will not lock on. Flying toward the sun it stops thinking there a obstacle in the way. Had a real scare today I was just hovering on the side of this mountain 900ft and a ton of warnings and alarms where going off at once. Yesterday I was flying over the lake and batteries got low and was returning home but it would not come because it thought the sun was an obstacle and just sat there. I almost lost it put it in sport mode and early made it back. Help?

Flying toward the sun it stops thinking there a obstacle in the way. Had a real scare today I was just hovering on the side of this mountain 900ft and a ton of warnings and alarms where going off at once. Yesterday I was flying over the lake and batteries got low and was returning home but it would not come because it thought the sun was an obstacle and just sat there. I almost lost it put it in sport mode and early made it back. Help?

That's an issue with the obstacle avoidance sensors, being fooled when flying into the sun. If it ever happens, you can simply turn off the obstacle avoidance in the app, or as you did, switch to sport mode (which disables them) and return home.

That's an issue with the obstacle avoidance sensors, being fooled when flying into the sun. If it ever happens, you can simply turn off the obstacle avoidance in the app, or as you did, switch to sport mode (which disables them) and return home.
It never did it before and the video is very dull and having tons of sun flare on lens when flying at hi noon. Real grainy also. iso 100 shutter 800 . I set all settings back to default but still the same problems.

It never did it before and the video is very dull and having tons of sun flare on lens when flying at hi noon. Real grainy also. iso 100 shutter 800 . I set all settings back to default but still the same problems.

I was speaking to the issue of "Flying toward the sun it stops thinking there a obstacle in the way." My response did not address the video quality issue.

Thanks but I only use my iPhone 7 plus. I have not changed anything just update like it says to. My brother has problems with his to of the video quality and a few other things. I went back and looked at my older tuff and it looks great on the same settings. I flew right into the sun with n o issue at all. Well I will have to send it in if I can not come up with a solution.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev