DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Processing programs

KingRat

Reactions
The DJI camera is causing me major grief.

Forget the flying aspects, that is completely seperate and easy enough. It is the camera and getting the images onto my computer and then editing them. It is proving to be an absolute nightmare.

What is causing you nightmares exactly?

The best way that I have found, is to remove the card from the AC, and copy them directly to the PC. Once verified that all the images have succesfully transfered/copied, Then you can delete them from the card, and reinstall the card to the AC.
Oh, Make sure you have "continous" set as to image numbering.
Once the files are on your PC, then process away ( another subject).

The best way that I have found, is to remove the card from the AC, and copy them directly to the PC. Once verified that all the images have succesfully transfered/copied, Then you can delete them from the card, and reinstall the card to the AC.
Oh, Make sure you have "continous" set as to image numbering.
Once the files are on your PC, then process away ( another subject).

They won't download onto my computer. I don't have a program that will do it. Someone has suggested downloading RAWTherapee.... tried that, it still didn't read the images on the card - but by going to 'My Computer' and finding the card reader as G drive, or something (I can't remember what it was called) they folders were there and files in them... but they would not come onto my computer even with RAWTherapee. Not just that, but then when I went to do other pictures taken with my D4s, on the program I have had for years, that had gone... RAWTherapee is NOT a safe program - beware folks if you download it. It has taken my other editing program out of commission, one I have used for years quite happily. Trying to reinstall my old program (bought, not subscribed) it is now telling me my computer is not suitable for it to run on... just what has RAWTherapee done to my computer? That program (Nikon NXD) was working perfectly right up to the time I tried to download the pictures from the drone with RAW Therapee...... now I am totally buggered, I can't use the drone camera and I can't use my DSLR either.

So, once you install the micro sd card with your vids/images on it, onto you pc, you can't see the files using windows explorer? Or what ever in IOS?
Are you "looking for an application" like what comes with "point/shoot" digital cameras, you connect your camera and power it up and they automatically download for you?
For drones, you have to manually transfer them.

So, once you install the micro sd card with your vids/images on it, onto you pc, you can't see the files using windows explorer? Or what ever in IOS?

Yes I can, by going to the list with everything...find 'My Computer', open that and find the outside drive that is the card reader, open that... the files are there, even seperated out, HDR is seperate to standard images.... but nothing I have will entice them out of hiding on the card AND I am now without my normal editing program because that has been disabled/removed/overwritten - something bythe RAWTherapee program to read the drone images (NO VIDEO, just aerial pictures in RAW). I had NXD, up until just after lunch today. I was using it quite happily to deal with pictures from my D4s... it has gone now though. It doesn't show up in th elist of programs anymore... just whast downloading RAWTherapee has done I do not know... it is a complete and utter nightmare and I wish I had never touched the bloody drone. It was a stupid idea to try and introduce some new angles..... wrong. It is a means of causing complete and total disruption to what was an otherwise happily running system.

how big is the card , and can your reader handle the size (gigabytes) of the card, also you need to check where the aircraft is storing the various type of images

Hopefully you have no lost or deleted anything yet.....
Are you on a PC or Apple system?
If on a PC system. you might try to go back to a known good point, ala, System Restore, which restores your sytem to the last "known good session". This will restore/reset your programs and other registry settings to the previous known good set. I will not deleted data.
This might put your editing programs the way they were to a few days ago. Once that is fixed, then we can get to the transfering/editing bits...

Hopefully you have no lost or deleted anything yet.....
Are you on a PC or Apple system?
If on a PC system. you might try to go back to a known good point, ala, System Restore, which restores your sytem to the last "known good session". This will restore/reset your programs and other registry settings to the previous known good set. I will not deleted data.
This might put your editing programs the way they were to a few days ago. Once that is fixed, then we can get to the transfering/editing bits...

I have never heard of that.. I hope to God you are right. I am truly scuppered otherwise. I have pictures on the D4s that need to be there tomorrow for deadline.

WOW - thank you!
I have NXD back again. What a relief... I think I need someone to help me install a RAW program reader.... it s too complicated for me to do.

Reactions: Flycaster
Are you wanting a program to view the files or edit them ?

Windows photo viewer should open the files to see the pictures, wouldn't know if you are an Apple man.

If you want to edit them a good free editor for RAW files is Darktable its similar to Adobe Lightroom You can download it HERE simply click on the icon for your operating system.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Are you wanting a program to view the files or edit them ?

Windows photo viewer should open the files to see the pictures, wouldn't know if you are an Apple man.

If you want to edit them a good free editor for RAW files is Darktable its similar to Adobe Lightroom You can download it HERE simply click on the icon for your operating system.

You did suggest that one to me, but I watched a video on it and it seemed ever so complicated for me. Nikon RAW proessing is an absolute doddle compred to these others, or maybe it is simply because I had a book to refer to as I learned it - and I mean a book, not a computer tutorial. How do you look at a tutorial and the computer at the same time? You need 2 computers. With the book I can have the book beside me and go through one page at a time - with the page open to refer to as I do something. It is so much easier.

Let me go and see if I can find something about Darktable again and have another look - there is too much going on at once for me to handle, I think that is half the problem.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I understand the problems with online tutorials but THIS is worth a look, he talks a lot before getting in to it but he starts off for people who never used anything like it.

I understand the problems with online tutorials but THIS is worth a look, he talks a lot before getting in to it but he starts off for people who never used anything like it.

Brilliant. I am off fishing now, but will watch it when I get home this evening.
Thank you very much for not giving up on an old duffer like me! I still have the pictures I shot the other day on the card and I am looking forward to being able to load them on the computer and see how I did. To save battery I don't get them saved to the tablet. I have 90GB of cards, so a dozen RAW images isn't exactly hampering my storage on the drone just yet!

I will get the darktable RAW processor for the drone, I think. Then continue to use the Nikon one for the Nikon cameras. Once I have done a few I am sure I will get to grips with it.

Last edited:
Luminar 4 is a fairly priced, excellent raw and jpeg image editor for Mac and PC. It has many advanced features a easy to use interface. I do use it in conjunction with LR.

First drone picture, sort of processed in darktable.... still searching for tools when I need them. Fumbling around the tools, but just a basic exposure and contrast conversion. I rarely do much to my pictures, I don't know enough about it. That is what the designers at the magazines I work for are employed to do! I have never used a program as complex as darktable before!

Thank you everyone for your help to get me to this stage. I shall watch loads of tutorials on how to use darktable over the next weeks. This was a job for a feature on float tube fishing... I got three or four drone shots at different angles, one hovering 3 feet off the water watching him unhook.... this one and a couple of others, NOT while he was casting! It required good comms between us to coordinate my low level hovers for the specific shots.

I was trying to load a picture, but it is too large.... off to find out how to make it smaller (never done that either, why would I want to make it 'crap quality'?)

KR you need a teacher. I recommend you find a beginner course in Windows at your local community college and enroll. Once you build more insight into how computers are organised you will make progress rapidly and be less frustrated.

In other words you have to develop understanding to gain control over any tool to get results. Study of the very rudiments is required. It won't happen overnight but it will happen, be patient.

Another benefit of this course of action will be developing connections with teachers and other students, all of whom may become mentors and able to address your questions directly. You can do it I'm sure.

KR you need a teacher. I recommend you find a beginner course in Windows at your local community college and enroll. Once you build more insight into how computers are organised you will make progress rapidly and be less frustrated.

In other words you have to develop understanding to gain control over any tool to get results. Study of the very rudiments is required. It won't happen overnight but it will happen, be patient.

Another benefit of this course of action will be developing connections with teachers and other students, all of whom may become mentors and able to address your questions directly. You can do it I'm sure.

Unfortunately we don't have a community night school anymore. They were closed down several years ago. If there is a night school, it is over 40 miles away and I am not up to riding that far I'm afraid. I shall have to do it bit by bit from vieo teachers. If there was a teacher nearby, I would be very grateful for the help.

King,
Does this help buddy?

Its very easy. Stop the video while you are performing the tasks and use Alt-Tab to
switch between video and your working area..

Reactions: KingRat
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranger 7