DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Professional and Detailed Comparison - Air vs. Pro

These comparisons maybe have some meaning in us only.

For CE territories and all other world, a (fixed focus) flying camera disconnecting in a 150-200m distance, and hopefully returning IF rth works, is not a step UP. .. It's a dangerous camera.

Dangerous? Strange word to use? And putting it into FCC mode couldn't be easier. I don't see the problem here?

Mavic Air in 5.8g mode (the mode it flies in CE territories), max range is 500m. DJI says this, not me.

In real word, range is less than 300 m. With all antennas unfolded, RC looking ma to the eyes, and pilot's left hand straight up, for more signal.

Nice drone, but for us market only.

Mavic Pro with ocusync have no range issues, regardless of the place it flies.

And outside the US it's mostly stay within VLOS with significant height restrictions. What's your point?

Exactly. And frankly the Air fits within most of the restrictions being put into force these days. The Pro can all too often only be flown to its maximum by breaking the rules.
Oh yes. Breaking the rules with MP is a bad thing, but setting ma in FCC mode, while in CE country is ok.

Is this your point?

And outside the US it's mostly stay within VLOS with significant height restrictions. What's your point?
My point is that ma in CE mode, disconnects while being in LOS. And an uncontrollable drone is DANGEROUS.

It is my opinion, and flying 5 drones, I can say that Dji's WiFi drones, have a poor implementation of 5g band, for EU and other territories.

Oh yes. Breaking the rules with MP is a bad thing, but setting ma in FCC mode, while in CE country is ok.

Is this your point?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. That's when it's even funny.

But no, even in CE mode which, Mr SmartAlec, isn't a legal thing as it happens, just a "one size fits all" BS solution by DJI to make it look like a responsible supplier, my statement holds true.

Next?

My point is that ma in CE mode, disconnects while being in LOS. And an uncontrollable drone is DANGEROUS.

It is my opinion, and flying 5 drones, I can say that Dji's WiFi drones, have a poor implementation of 5g band, for EU and other territories.

So why not put it into FCC mode and remove that issue? Takes 2 seconds. You will see an enormous improvement with regards to range.

I see way more problems with the Pros gimble and connection problems then with the Air. You rarely see anyone having issues with the Air.
Really? My friend and I both started out with airs, and then both sold them for the pro. The airs signal was horribly unreliable. Now we both have pros, and wish we just started with the pro initially. Can't speak for the gimbals. We both have protective covers for them and zero issue. For range, Even out 3 miles, they have nearly a full signal. We only turn around for fear of running out of battery. The pro really seems like the superior drone.

Except it isn't pure WiFi is it. Your router won't work at that distance. It's a hybrid of some sort that I've yet to see explained properly or even fully. And why not use 2.4? 5ghz is faster but has much less range than 2.4.

Last edited:
Except it isn't pure WiFi is it. Your inrouter won't work at that distance. It's a hybrid of some sort that I've yet to see explained properly or even fully. And why not use 2.4? 5ghz is faster but has much less range than 2.4.
i leave in auto.. i figure the engineers at DJI know more than i do

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. That's when it's even funny.

But no, even in CE mode which, Mr SmartAlec, isn't a legal thing as it happens, just a "one size fits all" BS solution by DJI to make it look like a responsible supplier, my statement holds true.

Next?
It wasn't sarcasm. It was what you said.

"Mr SmartAlec"?? I will not follow, insulting you, my education doesn't permit it.

Every drone has pros and cons. I fly a Mavic air, and range in CE, is really a serious disadvantage. That's my opinion, even if you don't like it. Sorry.

i leave in auto.. i figure the engineers at DJI know more than i do

That's a contentious statement. Of course they know more than you do about drones, but their desperate efforts to appear squeaky clean to too many different authorities (so as to preserve their sales channels) mean they implement blanket restrictions across too many geographies that aren't always justified or appropriate.

If the RC community, which typically flies further/faster/higher than we do, had been lumbered with these factory designed restrictions from the outset it wouldn't be nearly as big as it is.

It wasn't sarcasm. It was what you said.

"Mr SmartAlec"?? I will not follow, insulting you, my education doesn't permit it.

Every drone has pros and cons. I fly a Mavic air, and range in CE, is really a serious disadvantage. That's my opinion, even if you don't like it. Sorry.

Your education? Spare me please.

It's not about what I like - what I said was, the factory restrictions, despite being arbitrarily applied, with which I disagree, meet a lot of the legal restrictions currently planned or in force. If you don't like it, put it in FCC. You know full well you'll probably be breaking regulations at some point when you've done that but that's not the issue at question.

in canada does it default to FCC mode? or are we lumped in with the poor CE modes.?

FCC is default here in Canada. I've had no issues with range or WiFi even in crowded urban areas. I have never even seen the signal in the app drop below full, it has been rock solid.

FCC is default here in Canada. I've had no issues with range or WiFi even in crowded urban areas. I have never even seen the signal in the app drop below full, it has been rock solid.
I've had signal issues in my short flying time, but I'm also sitting on my back deck and everyone has wifi around me lol

Reactions: CanadaDrone

I think what some people are having trouble understanding is that you can fix your problem with the click of a button but you don't seem to want to.

If you're worried about the legalities, then you aren't flying beyond line of sight either, so you would be fine within the CE range.

Reactions: mad monkey
Same as attempting to "compare" a truck and a car. They are two different things so a comparison is not really a valid thing.

Same as attempting to "compare" a truck and a car. They are two different things so a comparison is not really a valid thing.
yep, but that never stops people from comparing them!

how many times have you seen people argue pepsi or coke, ford or chev etc etc?

its just something for people to bish about and talk about!

some days i wish i had an MP, but then some that I'm glad i don't. and I'm sure there will be a ton who drop the coin on the newest one next release, and those who don't. can't please everybody.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman