DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prolly a dumb question but.........

smaliden2

Reactions
I haven't done anything commercial yet but a couple have asked me about doing weddings. I am aware of the regs about flying over people but my question is how do you combat the noise from the drone? I feel like it might drown out the wedding, all thoughts / pointers are welcome!

Reactions: mnis
Play a little John Legend - All of Me (loud) they won't be worried about you. MP platinum was my quietest drone, what a pity I sold it.
After reading some of the comments, simple answer, don't do it. Have a glass of champagne instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: mnis
Weddings come with a lot of responsibility for any photographer that takes on the challenge if they are charging a fee, bad results can ruin the big day.

If you are doing it for a friend or for free then go for it.
If the happy couple want a drone then the guests can’t complain about the noise it isn’t there day, only two people count on a wedding day.

Reactions: JMagnus
Weddings come with a lot of responsibility for any photographer that takes on the challenge if they are charging a fee, bad results can ruin the big day.

If you are doing it for a friend or for free then go for it.
If the happy couple want a drone then the guests can’t complain about the noise it isn’t there day, only two people count on a wedding day.
Umm.. until the drone crashes into a guest or children at that wedding and takes out an eye, then only one person counts, the drone operator, and will be sued to high heaven. Not a smart thing to do, fly a drone over a bunch of people at a wedding. It is distracting to all who are at the wedding and it would have to be an open air wedding. No church is going to allow anyone to fly their drone inside it.

I would suggest if you want to do some drone footage, then take the couple outside to a location and think about what might be a nice scene shot with a drone and just do that. I was a wedding photographer for years, trust me, if the drone hits someone, no one will be looking at the bride and groom, everyone will be looking to see what happened and all important people will be rushing there and that moment will be a dark blot on what should have been a happy day for the two getting married. Plus they too may get sued for allowing a drone to be used at the wedding.

You still can not fly over a bunch of people at a wedding without getting the permission of everyone, and by that, I suggest, having it in writing. I would never chance it. And I assume you meant probably when you wrote prolly.

Last edited:
I personally would forget about using any drone to film a wedding, I would concider it far to dangerous flying near any off the guests its stressfull enough just filming a wedding with a video camera, and I should know I recently retired from the scene after 25 plus years of doing it as a paid professional, there are just too many things that could and do go wrong at weddings whilst filming, and with my video camera on my shoulder and my feet firmly planted on the ground, I was able to make changes instantly and these were not safety concerns, whereas consequently you wont be able to instantly take control any unforeseen safety situation unlike filming on the ground.

The only possible suggestion I would make if you are still wanting to film the wedding, just film a staged shot of the bride and groom well away from all the guest, or preferably on a different day if possible then use that shot as a cutaway shot then edited into the main wedding video if they are having one, whatever you decide to do your number one priority should be think safety first and dont fly close to the couple or guests.

Awe well at this point you guys pretty much talked me out of it, thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to me!

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Awe well at this point you guys pretty much talked me out of it, thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to me!

Very wise decision I think we have all made the wrong decisions at times and learnt to regret them afterwards.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I've filmed at a wedding before. If you do it, as others noted, fly far away from guests. Not only for safety but you do not want to distract from the Bride/groom on their big day. If the wedding is not in an open area, just politely decline entirely.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada