DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proof the a sensors Work!!!!

Micktss

Reactions
I Live at the foot of a hill in North Wales. At the top of the hill are disused slate quarries I decided to use the Waypoints 2 feature by plotting a route over the quarry. Studying online os maps also showed a small pond just a few hundred yards over the back of the quarry I thought I would investigate this as well. This would mean flying a few mins out of visual contact but as this was open moorland with no roads or properties I thought the risk was worthwhile. I sent the drone off and at the point were it diverted to view the pond I lost connection no video. I was not unduly concerned as waypoints was set to continue in such events. The drone reconnected a few mins later and I returned to home point. But on reviewing the recorded video It shows how lucky I was to not at least have a long steep walk or it could have landed in the pond never to be seen again!!! This happened because the I misinterpreted the altitudes of the crucial waypoints and was low by over 150 ft All altitudes in Waypoints are heights above “home” so waypoints need adjusting to allow for this. Google Earth produced much more accurate figures. The edited video link a least proves the sensor system was extremely good!!

That is so impressive, how on earth did it avoid grounding or crashing - I'm getting an MA2 and watching videos about waypoints I don't think anybody has mentioned height settings, I may be wrong, but that is a major worry that I had clocked. Well done getting it back to you and the drone!
Barrie ( I sometimes fly around an old sand quarry that drops 100 feet + )

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
That is so impressive, how on earth did it avoid grounding or crashing - I'm getting an MA2 and watching videos about waypoints I don't think anybody has mentioned height settings, I may be wrong, but that is a major worry that I had clocked. Well done getting it back to you and the drone!
I wouldn’t worry, the MA2 only has waypoints in Hyperlapse (and then only 5). There’s a big campaign amongst the current MA2 owners to persuade DJI to add waypoints to standard flight.... but I wouldn’t hold your breath. And, in case You’re a Litchi User, that won’t be compatible for several months.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
That poor drone had to work hard, but what an amazing piece of technology that it didn't crash, and made it home. I just ordered a Zoom an hour ago, so seeing this video, just affirmed that I made a good choice.

I have since repeated the exact waypoints route only with correct altitudes!! The result was excellent and no loss of connection.

I Live at the foot of a hill in North Wales. At the top of the hill are disused slate quarries I decided to use the Waypoints 2 feature by plotting a route over the quarry. Studying online os maps also showed a small pond just a few hundred yards over the back of the quarry I thought I would investigate this as well. This would mean flying a few mins out of visual contact but as this was open moorland with no roads or properties I thought the risk was worthwhile. I sent the drone off and at the point were it diverted to view the pond I lost connection no video. I was not unduly concerned as waypoints was set to continue in such events. The drone reconnected a few mins later and I returned to home point. But on reviewing the recorded video It shows how lucky I was to not at least have a long steep walk or it could have landed in the pond never to be seen again!!! This happened because the I misinterpreted the altitudes of the crucial waypoints and was low by over 150 ft All altitudes in Waypoints are heights above “home” so waypoints need adjusting to allow for this. Google Earth produced much more accurate figures. The edited video link a least proves the sensor system was extremely good!!
That Drone must love you so much!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde