DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop Error

Stock motors have inadequate low rpm torque to accommodate larger pitched propulse.
Its like putting on huge racing slicks on a stock pancake motor vw beetle 1600cc?

Well wait wait an electric motor produces the same amount of torque at all speeds. We see that with electric cars.

You exclude the noninstantaneous delivery of inrush current to the armature fields that desire uninhibited inflow. Do they even resort to angular momentum perks such as flywheel mass? Realworld inrush current has limitation owing to materials

Incidently, tesla uses gear train reduction to ease strains on motor? Mavic air does not feature propulsion gear train reduction to ease motor strain.

You exclude the noninstantaneous delivery of inrush current to the armature fields that desire uninhibited inflow. Do they even resort to angular momentum perks such as flywheel mass? Realworld inrush current has limitation owing to materials

Incidently, tesla uses gear train reduction to ease strains on motor? Mavic air does not feature propulsion gear train reduction to ease motor strain.

You sound like you know way more about this than I do so I’ll take your word for it. Lol

I rode tesla, very g-force, but it can not instantaneously reach 120mph from standstill. It takes couple seconds to get there. This reveals constant torque is not fully truthful in dc electric motors pulsed by controller designed for optiScreenshot_20190419-092413.pngizing juice performance and juice conservation (does braking put charge back into battery?)

Wow - and I thought I talked too technical!
The bottom line with this one is that the Mavic Air (and pretty much any drone), is inherently unstable. It relies on a set of feedback loops to keep it stable in the hover, and then you 'push' out of the stable state to go in any 3D direction. The feedback loops use - of course - the motors and prop's to push the drone back into stable state if some external force is sensed that is not a control input. The design of the motors and prop's is essential to this stability 'loop' and therefore, if you go and change the prop's for something that is more efficient, then of course the feedback loop is going to be upset ... In essence, you are going to see over-compensation for every movement - and that shows as a 'shake' in the drone while it hovers, or when it transitions from hover to something else. Turning down the 'Gain' (as Master Airscrew have advised) allows the Mavic to react to external forces with the right amount of compensation through the DJI motors and the Master Airscrew prop's - to ensure that the aircraft is not over-compensating and will sit steady as it should.

Reactions: toddobannon
Got it. So why was mavic air inching then recovering in pure neutrality flying in none gps, unpair=hover, fwd aft sensory disengaged? This was underground deep inside bunker. Is it because downward sensory is glitched optical comparison? I assume down camera is the only achieveable method to maintain neutrality (sticks neutral)

My prior mavic air froze instead of inching then recovering. Could it be highly reduced error performing sensory asst2 cal technique on hdmi supersized screen?

If you don't have GPS operational, then the Mavic is going to find it difficult to 'know' where its stable position is ... If you are flying without GPS assist, then you need to be flying on stock-standard DJI prop's - so that when you are flying ATTI, you can fly predictably - Or - you need to have set up the Master Airscrew prop's so that the Gain is correct so that they will act like normal DJI prop's when the Mavic goes ATTI.

Got it. So why was mavic air inching then recovering in pure neutrality flying in none gps,...
Hover stability without GPS will depend on a recognizable pattern on the floor. It needs to 'see' something unique to fix on before it can try to keep stable. Adequate lighting is also required.

If you don't have GPS operational, then the Mavic is going to find it difficult to 'know' where its stable position is ... If you are flying without GPS assist, then you need to be flying on stock-standard DJI prop's - so that when you are flying ATTI, you can fly predictably - Or - you need to have set up the Master Airscrew prop's so that the Gain is correct so that they will act like normal DJI prop's when the Mavic goes ATTI.
Understood.
The electronic speed control (ESC) takes a beating auctioneering rather negotiating user input to propulse output. Furthered, extraneous non user input also must be dealt with in parallel.

Thats why disable all collide avoid EXCEPT soil camera's.
My detail was comparing two identical mavic air, fresh factory untouched VS supersized widescreen hdmi asst2 collide cal succeed (hypothetically eliminating human errors) as hovering envelope precision

Here is Master Airscrew's official page about gain settings including FAQ about sports mode and damage (none): Mavic Air Gain Settings It should all be at 80.

I have them and tested them for both normal and sports mode with the gain settings. Did not run into motor errors. Although I also didn't bother testing without changing the gain settings.

Love the reduced noise!

so... thinking out loud... if the props spin at a lower RPM, (Due to more pitch?).. the current is higher so the motors and ESC have more heat to reject.... anyone ever feel the temp of their motors after a flight?

More out loud thinking..... the system has mapped a change in prop rpm to expected response....
a 50 rpm change on a prop that hovers at 5000 rpms will likely create a different response than a 50 rpm change on a 4000 rpm prop.... (Prolly it is rate of RPM change that is important here...)
So not unexpected a lower RPM prop requires a lower rate change to achieve the same aircraft response....

Last edited:
so... thinking out loud... if the props spin at a lower RPM, (Due to more pitch?).. the current is higher so the motors and ESC have more heat to reject.... anyone ever feel the temp of their motors after a flight?

More out loud thinking..... the system has mapped a change in prop rpm to expected response....
a 50 rpm change on a prop that hovers at 5000 rpms will likely create a different response than a 50 rpm change on a 4000 rpm prop.... (Prolly it is rate of RPM change that is important here...)
So not unexpected a lower RPM prop requires a lower rate change to achieve the same aircraft response....
Not neccesarily so ... You are making an assumption that the current is higher - why? If the Mavic Air has a longer flight duration on the MAS prop's, then the laws of physics say that the motors must be drawing less current (i.e. taking less power) ... If the motors were having to work harder, then under all laws known to electronics, your flights would be shorter.
MAS prop's don't spin slower due to courser pitch. They spin slower because they don't need to spin as fast as DJI stock prop's to get the same lift ... In other words, they are more efficient (just as advertised by Master Airscrew ...).

Reactions: Rnl
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato