DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop Guards effecting flight signal?

FEATHERS

Reactions
So i wanted to do an aerial shot of my house. Made sure the transmission channel was green, flew it up and it cut out at about 20m... took the guards off, went up to 120m (I had set it to max out at 120m) any ideas why?

So i wanted to do an aerial shot of my house. Made sure the transmission channel was green, flew it up and it cut out at about 20m... took the guards off, went up to 120m (I had set it to max out at 120m) any ideas why?

you had a lost signal, this happens if you are directly above yourself when flying as the signal is at its weakest point, i bet the prop guards were covering the aerials in the quad which hampered the signal.

This video explains best orientation for aerials

Ok, thats good to know, I did move the antennas so they were broadside, i also used a signal booster thing, the brass mirrors?... but it must be the guards as i repeated the same test without them and it was fine
I think the signal strength for this unit isn't right - so i think its going back when i can return it

I’ll start by saying I do not have a mini, nor have I ever flown one. I highly doubt the prop guards can affect the signal strength for two reasons, one the aircraft antenna are in the front legs (I believe) and the guards are made of plastic. I suspect that the mini is automatically detecting the prop guards are installed and entering payload mode. I also believe that there are some flight limitations in payload mode.

I’ll start by saying I do not have a mini, nor have I ever flown one. I highly doubt the prop guards can affect the signal strength for two reasons, one the aircraft antenna are in the front legs (I believe) and the guards are made of plastic. I suspect that the mini is automatically detecting the prop guards are installed and entering payload mode. I also believe that there are some flight limitations in payload mode.

There was a payload error on screen yes.

Im thinking of sending the Mini back, after flying it for a week or so, i think its simply not powerful enough to cope... Ive just seen the Skydio2 ... WOW the reviews look amazing, anyone else think this will be a DJI killer?

Ah, ok. I misread your original post. Don't give up on the mini yet. There is a distance limit with a payload (prop guards included) on the mini.

I just got mine two days ago and had the chance to fly it yesterday. While it is no Phantom4Pro I am still happy with it since the portability can't be beat.

Reactions: FEATHERS
Get what your saying, when it flys it is good. However, as I live 1 mile from the coast, it seems to be on the brink of too windy every time I’ve taken it up, so I think I need something more powerful full stop, and it was a lockdown bank holiday purchase. So I either return it and upgrade to the Mavic Air 2 (When released) or look at getting the Skydio2 .... I also might get a RC FPV Racer for fun too haha

Reactions: timinator
Ah, ok. I misread your original post. Don't give up on the mini yet. There is a distance limit with a payload (prop guards included) on the mini.

I just got mine two days ago and had the chance to fly it yesterday. While it is no Phantom4Pro I am still happy with it since the portability can't be beat.

Limit is 120m up and 50m out I think. If he hasn’t activated payload mode he may have issues

On my Mini the weight of prop guards AUTOMATICALLY activates payload mode which limits the height and distance I can fly from the R/C. With the guards on, hover and then go look at the settings. I think you will see it is in payload mode. Not sure of the height but I can only go 100m out until it stops.

Reactions: SnazzySnake
I am a new Mini owner, and drone pilot, and new to this site - got my Mini last Friday. Being a newbie, I'm using the OEM prop guards that came with the Fly More package. When they're installed, the height is limited to 98ft and the distance to 168ft. - since Payload Mode is automatically activated.

Im thinking of sending the Mini back, after flying it for a week or so, i think its simply not powerful enough to cope... Ive just seen the Skydio2 ... WOW the reviews look amazing, anyone else think this will be a DJI killer?

No. Have you seen the full range of drones and other products that Dji manufactures? Dji is huge. They have dozens of products that cover all aspects of consumer and commercial drone use. Skydio has a grand total of one product. There's a reason Dji has 70% of the drone market.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun