DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop Guards for Mini-2

Chaosrider

Reactions
What prop guards would you folks recommend for the Mini-2? I definitely want prop guards that snap on and off easily, without the need to remove the props.

Quality and reliability are more important to me than cost.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thx,

TCS

What prop guards would you folks recommend for the Mini-2? I definitely want prop guards that snap on and off easily, without the need to remove the props.

Quality and reliability are more important to me than cost.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thx,

TCS
How about the Original Equipment from DJi, approximately $18.00.
B52-D

I would 2nd going with the DJI prop guards. I use the Air 2 versions and they are very quick to install & remove. They will effect the overall performance, battery life & wind resistance. The drone even "knows" when they are present and tells you that they "may effect the performance" of the drone.

Another vote for the OEM prop guard. BTW Mini 2 props are not "quick release", you need to use Phillips screwdriver to remove 2 screws per each propeller.

I like the prop guards that protect the major parts of the props but are still light weight. The ones I am showing below illustrate that. 1.4 oz/ 40 gm. About $15 on Amazon. I have a set that doesn't rise up and it didn't protect from above at all. The DJI "cage" guards will provide a maximum protections but weight 198 grams. At the very bottom is an in-between compromise for $16 that weight 52 grams. I had a set of guards like the ones at the bottom (blue sky) and had an incident when my Mini 2 suddenly accelerated unexpectedly into a ceiling and caused it to crash to the floor with damage.

1645814592869.png

1645814937041.png

1645815145692.png

1645815225141.png

Yeah the screwed in props would be a real pain if wanting to use the guards very often.
But the OEM guards for the mini 2 are a very good design for protection, far and away better than any previous DJI guard product.
Cages (where available for various models) are different again with higher human impact protection, but the drone performance is usually much more affected in various ways.
I suppose it boils down to purpose required, just a bump type protection, or more foliage / better isolation of prop blades.

Reactions: tsnyd
Another vote for the OEM prop guard. BTW Mini 2 props are not "quick release", you need to use Phillips screwdriver to remove 2 screws per each propeller.
Yes, that's why I only want guards that easily snap on/off, without the need to remove the props.

Thx,

TCS

I like the prop guards that protect the major parts of the props but are still light weight. The ones I am showing below illustrate that. 1.4 oz/ 40 gm. About $15 on Amazon. I have a set that doesn't rise up and it didn't protect from above at all. The DJI "cage" guards will provide a maximum protections but weight 198 grams. At the very bottom is an in-between compromise for $16 that weight 52 grams. I had a set of guards like the ones at the bottom (blue sky) and had an incident when my Mini 2 suddenly accelerated unexpectedly into a ceiling and caused it to crash to the floor with damage.

View attachment 144490

View attachment 144491

View attachment 144492

View attachment 144493
Yes, I expect some performance degradation, but I don't push the performance envelope very hard anyway, so that will be fine.

I have a pro-OEM bias in a great many situations, and I think the OEMs that I just ordered were the right call.

198 grams? That's surprising. Heavy little suckers! But I bet they're tough.

Thx!

TCS

Yeah the screwed in props would be a real pain if wanting to use the guards very often.
But the OEM guards for the mini 2 are a very good design for protection, far and away better than any previous DJI guard product.
Cages (where available for various models) are different again with higher human impact protection, but the drone performance is usually much more affected in various ways.
I suppose it boils down to purpose required, just a bump type protection, or more foliage / better isolation of prop blades.
Better prop protection is high on the list.

I expect to use these as "training wheels" when I start loaning out my Mini-2s. In that application, reduced performance may actually be an asset.

Just out of curiosity, do the OEMs work on the Mini-1? That would be ideal, if I can ever find a Mini-1 at a realistic post-Mini-SE price.

Thx!

TCS

I expect to use these as "training wheels" when I start loaning out my Mini-2s. In that application, reduced performance may actually be an asset.

Just out of curiosity, do the OEMs work on the Mini-1? That would be ideal, if I can ever find a Mini-1 at a realistic post-Mini-SE price.

Thx!

TCS
According to this thread they'll fit

According to this thread they'll fit
Hmm...is the reverse true?

I just ordered the ones for the Mini-2 specifically.

If they won't work on the Mini-1, and I can find a Mini-1 at the price I want, I'll just spring for another set specific to the Mini-1.

Thx,

TCS

I guess be careful there.
I've seen threads where prop guards (especially on smaller drones) get people into more trouble, especially with wind.
It's similar to fitting big sail like pontoons to a drones for ocean flights, they would often cause more issues than you'd get otherwise with wind effect and reduced flight time etc.

Thx!

TCS

I'm not 100% sure, the mini guards are less protective, but maybe the mini 2 guards would fit the aircraft.
@Vic Moss uses them on a mini 2 I think (and mods them for weight control), maybe he has a mini too, or has tried them, and can offer thoughts on that.

Well they might be interchangeable, didn't find anything to confirm totally, but this video was interesting, the 3 types for the mini 2.

Interesting one comment there says Amazon has other non oem lighter / better protection guards as well.

Comment form 7 months ago . . . "There is an improved version of the "generic" ones which include a connecting wire between them and also curve upwards on the sides to protect from ceiling bump. They are lighter too, but less strong, so don't bump them too hard... If you look on Amazon these days, there are a few variants in recent months."

I guess be careful there.
I've seen threads where prop guards (especially on smaller drones) get people into more trouble, especially with wind.
It's similar to fitting big sail like pontoons to a drones for ocean flights, they would often cause more issues than you'd get otherwise with wind effect and reduced flight time etc.

I'm not 100% sure, the mini guards are less protective, but maybe the mini 2 guards would fit the aircraft.
@Vic Moss uses them on a mini 2 I think (and mods them for weight control), maybe he has a mini too, or has tried them, and can offer thoughts on that.
I'll keep an eye out for that, thanks!

TCS

Well they might be interchangeable, didn't find anything to confirm totally, but this video was interesting, the 3 types for the mini 2.

Interesting one comment there says Amazon has other non oem lighter / better protection guards as well.

Comment form 7 months ago . . . "There is an improved version of the "generic" ones which include a connecting wire between them and also curve upwards on the sides to protect from ceiling bump. They are lighter too, but less strong, so don't bump them too hard... If you look on Amazon these days, there are a few variants in recent months."
Since i plan to use these as "training wheels" for new flyers, the stronger they are, the better!

I think the OEMs that I ordered will work great.

Thx,

TCS

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Weather has been bad, stuck in a hotel, so I have been hotel droning. The OEM prop guards work great. Zooming room to room, several crashes and and no damage. $19 at Best Buy. And this is what you get when bored in a hotel, guitar and mini 2 with prop guards.

5E6BF924-EF27-4158-AA7B-3268F7B51DE9_1_201_a.jpeg

Weather has been bad, stuck in a hotel, so I have been hotel droning. The OEM prop guards work great. Zooming room to room, several crashes and and no damage. $19 at Best Buy. And this is what you get when bored in a hotel, guitar and mini 2 with prop guards.

View attachment 144513
Now THAT'S a selfie!

Thx!

:cool:

TCS

Reactions: vsasolutions
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members