Join Us Now

Prop Guards

swings16

Reactions
Greetings to all from NYC

I purchased my Mavic Pro from a retail store over a year ago

They had a "special"...they gave prop guards along with the purchase

I have not used them and i have a question or 2 re their use

Besides it being obvious that it adds weight to the copter are there any negatives to consider when flying with them attached ?

I am still a SCAREDY CAT when flying

it is rare for me to fly in an area other than NYC limits and i wonder if i need or would want to attach them when i fly

sadly i am preoccupied with concerns about stretching out with it and letting it go beyond my sight of it

My confidence gets stronger with each flight but i am still haunted with the thought of a "fly away" and crash that could very well injure someone

It has performed flawlessly since my first flight and i sincerely hope that it continues in that fashion

I am looking out of my 11th floor hi rise balcony overlooking a huge FOREST PARK and i feel the calling to dress like a mummy (so very cold today..AND windy) to fly

The wind is a bit too much so i am at home checking this great forum

My Question...How do you all feel about using prop guards ? Does their use limit or inhibit the flight in any way ? Is it better flying WITHOUT them ? As i mentioned,these guards came along with my initial purchase...How do you all feel about their use ?

Thank you all for any input re my question...such a wealth of knowledge here and i appreciate all who take the time to answer virgin fliers questions

Martin

My confidence gets stronger with each flight but i am still haunted with the thought of a "fly away" and crash that could very well injure someone
Do your flying in a large, open area. It's very hard to get into trouble if there's nothing to hit.
My Question...How do you all feel about using prop guards ? Does their use limit or inhibit the flight in any way ? Is it better flying WITHOUT them ?
Prop guards are very useful for slowing your top speed, eating battery life and catching the wind like sails so your drone is less able to deal with wind.
In general, if you think prop guards are a good idea, flying somewhere else away from obstacles is a better one.

Do your flying in a large, open area. It's very hard to get into trouble if there's nothing to hit.

Prop guards are very useful for slowing your top speed, eating battery life and catching the wind like sails so your drone is less able to deal with wind.
In general, if you think prop guards are a good idea, flying somewhere else away from obstacles is a better one.

Thank You

Once again...COMMON SENSE...i kind of knew that they were not something i would like for all of the reasons that you have described...they have been sitting in a drawer taking up space and i have no inteniont of taking them out(other than tossing them away)

Thank You...Martin

As @Meta4 said, if you are flying in wide open areas, or at high speeds, you might not need to use them.

On the other hand, I would highly recommend using them to photographers who are flying close-in to trees, buildings, and other obstacles. The prop guards are better protection than obstacle avoidance sesnors. They dont need to "see" anything, they just create a physical barrier between you and "trouble."

No prop guards - If you like to zip around at 30+mph and you are high enough to be out of harms way

Prop guards - if you are flying near buildings walls, cars, or other close-in obstacles

Prop cages - if you are flying at low speeds near trees or other obstacles that have the potential to penetrate vertically into your prop axis.

If all my customers used prop guards or cages, I would have to retire. ;)

Reactions: Meta4
From about 1:35 to the end,
They have their uses, depends on you flight location. I plan to do a lot of low level hiking videos so I have a set. (Not my video)

Well done !...i know that it wasn't your video but it it makes the point...their use can be very helpful in some situations

Since you already have them, tuck them away somewhere safe and you may very well look to do something out of the city like I will be doing. Along with leg extensions they were my first accessories.

Reactions: swings16
I've been using them since realising birds take too much interest in my MP.
Not had any problems since using them. Not even sure wether they would be much protection from a flock, but just use them as a precaution.

...it is rare for me to fly in an area other than NYC limits...
You are lucky that Forrest Park is one of the few that allow flying in NYC.
Model Aircraft Fields : NYC Parks
Do your homework if you are tempted to fly somewhere else.
NYPD is hunting rogue drones in New York City - DroneDJ

And regarding prop guards. Definitely use them when flying indoors or in tight quarters. Keep in mind that small branches or leaves can get sucked in and that the guards themselves may get hung up on them. They can be thought of as training wheels for general flying but are really not needed if flying high and away from obstacles.

Reactions: swings16
You are lucky that Forrest Park is one of the few that allow flying in NYC.
Model Aircraft Fields : NYC Parks
Do your homework if you are tempted to fly somewhere else.
NYPD is hunting rogue drones in New York City - DroneDJ

And regarding prop guards. Definitely use them when flying indoors or in tight quarters. Keep in mind that small branches or leaves can get sucked in and that the guards themselves may get hung up on them. They can be thought of as training wheels for general flying but are really not needed if flying high and away from obstacles.

I had no idea that it was LEGAL to fly in Forest Park...i was not really concerned about the legality because i assumed it was a common sense type of situation...a huge astro turf football field circled by a over 1/4 mile running track circling the track...with the cold weather we have there are very few using the track and i have the place pretty much for myself...i still feel handcuffed re venturing past the perimeter of the park...a bit over the tree line is NYC and PEOPLE...CARS...I venture HIGH (till i hear the warning bells) to view the ocean many miles south and the NYC skyline to the west..an impressive perch for viewing but i am never quite at ease...i am in constant fear of some failure in the system that will have the MP fly off or come crashing down and possibly injure someone...The only time i feel totally relaxed is when i am in the Catskill mountains area where open land with a lack of INNOCENT BYSTANDERS is the rule...Thanks for the tip MOSSIBACK..much appreciated

The prop guards are probably most useful if you fly indoors. It is an additional safety factor to help prevent potential damage to walls, paintings, windows, etc. Tripod mode also puts the Mabic Air into a much reduced speed and slower maneuvering posture.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent