DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

prop guards

topspin1241831

Reactions
what is the reasoning for most people not using prop guards?
is it the extra weight.
i am a very novice flyer, so is it more of a newbie thing?

is it the extra weight.
Do you want your drone to be lumbered with the weight and wind resistance?
Do you want your drone to have potentially serious issues in wind?
If you think that propguards are the answer, flying somewhere else would probably be a better one.
Save propguards for indoor flying.

Prop guards reduce performance by adding weight and wind resistance (drag). They are most useful for early training, especially on toy drones that don't have GPS and the ability to hover "hands off".

Reactions: Mavikhan
@Meta4 said they change the whole dynamic of the way the drone flies ,they are really for indoor flying where GPS is an issue ,i purchased a set for my MPP ,in doors they were great saved the props and the surroundings from damage even in tripod mode its possible for the drone to drift with no GPS
so one day i thought i will try them out helping a friend to learn drone control ,i put them on his MPP which he had just purchased ,took off and was shocked at how restrictive the flight envelope was with them on , it was like the drone had been fettered to a fixed point ,it struggled with the slight wind and every movement was laboured and slow
in the end i took them off and have not used them since

Prop guards reduce performance by adding weight and wind resistance (drag). They are most useful for early training, especially on toy drones that don't have GPS and the ability to hover "hands off".
ah okay, that makes sense, thanks!

@Meta4 said they change the whole dynamic of the way the drone flies ,they are really for indoor flying where GPS is an issue ,i purchased a set for my MPP ,in doors they were great saved the props and the surroundings from damage even in tripod mode its possible for the drone to drift with no GPS
so one day i thought i will try them out helping a friend to learn drone control ,i put them on his MPP which he had just purchased ,took off and was shocked at how restrictive the flight envelope was with them on , it was like the drone had been fettered to a fixed point ,it struggled with the slight wind and every movement was laboured and slow
in the end i took them off and have not used them since
thanks for that info!

Reactions: old man mavic
Do you want your drone to be lumbered with the weight and wind resistance?
Do you want your drone to have potentially serious issues in wind?
If you think that propguards are the answer, flying somewhere else would probably be a better one.
Save propguards for indoor flying.
got it, thanks!

is it the extra weight.
when i got my first phantom i got the prop guards for it .use them for a couple of flights and realised that they were a PITA so i never use them again i think you will see that most users do not use prop guards because of this.

What if someone wants to use out in the woods? I can't imagine line of sight being so precise that I will miss a branch or two? I can see how prop guards might be helpful for this purpose...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23