DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop noise

zwt100

Reactions
Hi, just purchased a M2P and had a question regarding the noise level. Should I be able to hear the drone at max altitude? This might seem like a strange question but Saturday was my first flight and I noticed that at 400ft I could not hear the drone at all, even when it was directly overhead. I flew again yesterday and after work today but this time around I could most definitely hear that unmistakable buzz from the propellers. It was fairly windy on Saturday so I’m wondering if that’s why I didn’t hear anything my first time out. Or could it be that I’m doing something wrong which is causing access noise?

Thanks!

Reactions: Former Member
They are somewhat quite at that height with wind carrying some of the noise away.

Reactions: zwt100
Hi, just purchased a M2P and had a question regarding the noise level. Should I be able to hear the drone at max altitude? This might seem like a strange question but Saturday was my first flight and I noticed that at 400ft I could not hear the drone at all, even when it was directly overhead. I flew again yesterday and after work today but this time around I could most definitely hear that unmistakable buzz from the propellers. It was fairly windy on Saturday so I’m wondering if that’s why I didn’t hear anything my first time out. Or could it be that I’m doing something wrong which is causing access noise?

Thanks!

Youre not doing anything wrong. Youre saying that it was quiter in the wind? Then what @Starz said is true. However, if the drone doesnt have to fight the wind, it's going to be more quiet. Fighting the wind causes the motors to rotate faster, thus the added noise.

For what its worth, stealth is your friend. Keeps the neighbors at bay.

If you want to hear your drone better, buy a Mavic Air. joking

Thanks for the replies! And I agree, stealth is key haha. I was hoping I could silently hover around 400ft as to not annoy anyone but I guess that won’t work on a calm day. That said, I’m still very impressed with how quiet this baby is.

Thanks for the replies! And I agree, stealth is key haha. I was hoping I could silently hover around 400ft as to not annoy anyone but I guess that won’t work on a calm day. That said, I’m still very impressed with how quiet this baby is.

If you fly at 400' most people arent going to look up. Only us drone pilots could discern a drone from other air traffic.

If you fly at 400' most people arent going to look up. Only us drone pilots could discern a drone from other air traffic.

That’s true, I’m just paranoid I guess haha. Thankfully my neighbors are cool and I haven’t had any confrontations but I try to be as courteous as reasonably possible. Thankfully the M2P helps because it’s pretty dang quiet. If someone can’t deal with the level of noise it produces then they’re just looking for something to complain about.

That’s true, I’m just paranoid I guess haha. Thankfully my neighbors are cool and I haven’t had any confrontations but I try to be as courteous as reasonably possible. Thankfully the M2P helps because it’s pretty dang quiet. If someone can’t deal with the level of noise it produces then they’re just looking for something to complain about.

You are an asset to the drone community. If everyone thought like you do, there would be alot fewer nervous neighbors.

Audio noise is significantly affected by wind, especially higher frequencies like drone propellers. Sound is just waves of air molecules propagating through the air mass. A great analogy is with water. Ripples in still water will travel a long distance but ripples in moving water will dissipate quickly.

Audio noise is significantly affected by wind, especially higher frequencies like drone propellers. Sound is just waves of air molecules propagating through the air mass. A great analogy is with water. Ripples in still water will travel a long distance but ripples in moving water will dissipate quickly.

Thank you, that’s a great explanation. I guess I never noticed how much the wind can affect the noise level because my Mavic Air was so loud. Didn’t matter how gusty it got, I could still hear her in the distance. The M2P on the other hand is a different story.

Thank you, that’s a great explanation. I guess I never noticed how much the wind can affect the noise level because my Mavic Air was so loud. Didn’t matter how gusty it got, I could still hear her in the distance. The M2P on the other hand is a different story.

Actually, that’s a good point. The louder the sound the farther it will carry before it dissipates below the threshold of hearing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569