DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop protector - is it just me or is it awful?

Buel

Reactions
Hi all.
Is it just me or is the strap that comes with the M4P to store it safely awful and awkward? Surely there must be better ones out there?

Yeah, you'd expect a little difficulty with something like that the first and maybe 2nd or 3rd time you use it, but that particular bit of rubber nonsense has remained 'difficult' pretty much every time ! :) I have got good at it now (finally, 50 flights in !) but it never stops annoying me that I have to 'outwit' it every time !

There is an argument that any old velcro strap long enough to go all the way round the craft would do a similar job, and would certainly be easier to apply, but that is protecting a lot less of those vital leading edges than the included one, and I cannot deny that my props have remained absolutely flawless, and not even got the slightest scratch or nick with only use of the default one, so it does work once you have finally got it sitting right. I also know people (by which I mean 1 person) that puts theirs in a thick hiking sock, which also seems to work, though I keep telling him he'll get fluff in his motors ;)

I kind of feel resentful at having to buy a better solution for that AS WELL as all the other accessories we convince ourselves we need for these things - I rather persist with the included one out of sheer bloody-minded belligerence I WILL not spend yet another 20 quid on another bit of plastic ! :)

In unrelated news, see my other recent thread about how I am about to buy another bit of plastic - a chest mount for the RC2, having decided that the 2 lanyards I tried first are still rubbish !

Last edited:
Reactions: Buel and Hauptmann
I replaced the original prop protector with a carefully placed rubber band loosely wrapped around the props before storing in a soft lined case. It is every bit as efficient as it is inelegant. And, spare parts are cheap.

Reactions: guzewski and Buel
I use a rubber band as well, around the props. Works just as good.

Well, for a different perspective, I love it.

I've been a big fan of that style prop guard going back to the Air 2... been purchasing that style from aftermarket for every drone, except the mini 2 and M4P, which came with them.

It secures the props and arms really well.

Reactions: baronkb
Not really a fan, it is ok and all, but just not easy to install quickly. I made my own. I mountain bike and I reinstall a new set of Lizzard Skin shock protectors every now and then. They are cut to fit soft thin neoprene. They have the advantage of having velcro closure on each end. The cut offs end up as my prop protectors and actually act like total protector and keeps anything from hanging up if you like to stuff it into a drawstring pouch. The factory unit makes it hang up on insertion into the pouch. I like a pouch to throw it in my backpack when I hike.
mini.jpg

Reactions: Buel and Hauptmann
Not really a fan, it is ok and all, but just not easy to install quickly.

I like the standard prop guard it does the job well, what is the big rush to get the guard on how many seconds do you save with your home made one?

It gets embarrassing when people are waiting for you. Besides if it took that long to unlock your front door, you'd change the lock. Just not a fan of it, could have been designed better, it is a rather cluncky design. It was nice of them to give it to you for free with the kit, but its big benefit is it's free. Aside from that, it is personal preference. I also made a strap for my M3 Cine, the stock cover is a bit of a PIA as well. They don't even provide any prop straps with the M3 Thermal, which costs 5 times more.

I guess the OEM prop protector doesn't bother me. Now the OEM one for the Mini 3 Pro is a major PITA to get on and off.

I threw mine right in the trash after the first time trying to put it back on.
Also thought anything wrapped around might deform the props.
I just fold it up and put it in its repurposed camera case. Experiencing no problems.

Attachments

• IMG_5938.jpeg
    IMG_5938.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5937.jpeg
    IMG_5937.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: Max Headroom
I replaced the original prop protector with a carefully placed rubber band loosely wrapped around the props before storing in a soft lined case. It is every bit as efficient as it is inelegant. And, spare parts are cheap.
That's exactly what I do. It works like a charm and is way easier than the thing that comes with the drone.

I always felt I was abusing my mini 4 with the DJI strap, bought a Startrc strap from Amazon and liked it so much ordered another for my other drone. Its much more flexible and easy to install and remove. Also holds props very well.

Quick one - is it OK to turn the drone on with the protector and gimbal / camera protector on?

I took mine off and sat watching an hour of tv, during which I fastened and unfastened it repeatedly. Now, it comes off a lot easier but still holds firm.

Quick one - is it OK to turn the drone on with the protector and gimbal / camera protector on?
@Buel

I found this it seems sound advice-

Just a kind reminder that if you do not remove the gimbal protection case before flying, the gimbal may not be able to complete the self-test and the gimbal motor may be damaged. It is recommended that you remove it before turning on the drone or flying the drone.29 Mar 2023

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr