DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller Guards

I have used them in the beginning of my training with my quad. I would occasionally get an error about "additional weight detected" that would go away after a bit. I was flying slowly and cautiously as well as the weather being about +15f so I can't speak to performance or duration. I viewed them like training wheels. If I was flying indoors I would probably use them more often.

Do you guys use the bundled propeller guards?
They are great for flying indoors (not recommended). When outdoors, they aren't going to be very useful if you're doing things like taking off from an open area and staying clear of obstacles. And, they could cause your drone to get hung up on tree branches if you make contact with a tree. I don't recommend them for what most people are doing with drones.

Reactions: pradneshpatil
Prop guards are excellent in really any scenario. If you accidentally land tail first, the prop guards will stop the rear props from getting broken. Flying under an overhang and need to disable sensors? Prop guards are the way to go. Flying in a new location, and dont feel 100% comfortable? Use prop guards.

I've been using robbers since 6 months ago because they are great for protecting against birds. I did not notice that the flight time significantly decreased only when the wind is stronger then it wants to behave strangely.

Reactions: Former Member
Have been thinking they would also allow more options to attach strobe lights to, as well be kinder to those that struggle with VLOS by making the MA seem "bigger" in the sky.
Been thinking about dusting mine off for the VLOS thing. Especially if you're eyes favour near-sight over far-sight.
Increased visibility is a good reason to use prop guards...maybe wrap some fluorescent orange or pink tape on.

If I flew indoors, or near people, I'd consider putting them on. Shorter flight time due to the extra weight is a given, but in most cases it shouldn't be enough to matter much...there are other things that cut your flying time, probably to a greater extent, like flying in Sport mode.

Flying around tree branches with prop guards is probably not the best idea, due to the potential for hangups; it's one thing to be flying at a height that can be reached with a ladder, but another thing to get caught in tree branches, where you can't even access the tree!

I have used them in the beginning of my training with my quad. I would occasionally get an error about "additional weight detected" that would go away after a bit. I was flying slowly and cautiously as well as the weather being about +15f so I can't speak to performance or duration. I viewed them like training wheels. If I was flying indoors I would probably use them more often.

I've got about 10hrs flight time on my first drone (MA)...
I've used the guards since flight one till I get my skills improved. Of course I got it hung up in a tree right off the bat but was able to retrieve it ... I now get the prop guard/ weight warning every time I start up...wish there was a way to clear it ... It would of probably fallen through the branches without the guards but probably sustained more damage...

I'm cool with them on for now but will let the location dictate there future use as well as my skill level improves...

If anyone knows how to clear this startup warning I'd love to hear it!

I use them while flying in doors. Outdoors they add drag and can act like sails in sudden gusts of wind.

That said if you're flying in close proximity of people or objects you care about, always use them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661