DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller screws won't budge

I hadn't thought of that but is great advice. If the screw head is stripped this is pretty much your only option short of sending the whole thing to DJI.

It is a known issue with Mini 3's that the screws are nearly impossible to remove, at least with the provided "toy" screw driver. I've posted in much earlier posts about the issue, so here again is what I will say about that.

1) Buy a GOOD screw driver like this one...
Screwdriver from Amazon

2) Before anything else, preemptively take that screwdriver and unscrew each screw enough so that they break the bond with the motor to make them easier to change later on especially if you have to change a prop in the field. Of course re-tighten (common sense).

3) Pack the new screwdriver in the case with your drone and spare props. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
I bought and tried that screwdriver and it only worked on 1 out of the 3 remaining (after 3-in-1 and wd40 had been applied earlier). Guess the other 2 were already ruined or too tight even for that screwdriver.

Recently returned from my trip and gave it another go.

Removed the last 2 screws using the Klein D275-5 precision flush cutter by chipping away at the top of the plastic around the screw (gradual process but still worked much better than utility knives), then, when the width was narrow enough, using the Klein to grip and turn the screw, with the help of pliers when needed.

Applied new props without issue with the Wera 2050 PH 000 (which had not worked for unscrewing the problematic screws).

Attachments

• 230729-repaired-dji-mini-3-pro.jpg
    230729-repaired-dji-mini-3-pro.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: MA2 317
Thanks for your suggestions. I definitely already thought about sending it to DJI. I don't have the care package that was offered in the first 48h so I'm not sure what my options are, but I'll look into it further. However, first I think I'll give it one more attempt on my end. I have just ordered the Wera 05345290001 2050 PH 000 x 40 mm. I think I've seen this particular screwdriver mentioned at least a few other times for these screws so hopefully it works. I already tried a few other screwdrivers today which seemed to fit but none turned the screws. I also ordered a screw extractor set in case the screw is beyond a functional state although I heard luck varies with these.
You mean this one or the 2.5mm version?

IMG_7550.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
The 40mm version. As per my last post just above yours, it worked without issue for screwing in the new screws and propellers, but did not budge the last 2 problematic screws which I removed using the method I mentioned.

View attachment 166511
Thanks, I think the 40mm refers to the shank length which both the 1.5 and 2.5 mm has, the 1.5 or 2.5 refers to the cross head size I guess

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman