DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propellers changed, how to be sure that they are well placed?

FlyingDutchman90

Reactions
Hello all,

So I just replaced a pair of propellers on my Mini 2 as the old ones had some minor scratches on there.
Now I am wondering how to be sure that they have been properly screwed in. They did not go in smoothly from the beginning, but finally I was able to screw them in completely and I cannot screw them any deeper in there. However, when I did a little test flight and I was trying to let it hover at a higher altitude, it was drifting a little bit (at lower altitude it did not seem to be the problem). There is a bit of wind, but I'm not sure if that is the explanation or that the propellers have not been properly put in.
Is there any way to check?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
@FlyingDutchman90 unfortunately because the new screws come with a dry version of thread-lock on them it can make it awkward to start the thread into the motor
a little trick is use is to start the screw without the prop in place and give it a couple of turns ,without the prop its easier to see if the screw is going in straight and not cross threaded,
DJI did make the process of changing props somewhat more difficult with the adoption of using screws to hold them in on the grounds of weight saving
its also a good idea to try and remove any old thread lock from the screw holes in the motor, before fitting the new props ,also try to only use the supplied screwdriver for prop changes so you do not over torque the very fine thread, stop tightening once the shoulder of the screw has locked against the motor ,one little test you can do is hover the drone at eye level and make sure that the pair of props on each motor track evenly if one appears to be a different height to the other, this can indicate not only that the prop has been bent during storage ,,but also that the screws have not been put in correctly

Thanks for your reply. So I hovered the drone at eye level and all the pairs of propellers seem to be at the same height and it doesn't drift. So I think I have confidence enough now to take it for a flight tomorrow.
Thank you once again!

Reactions: old man mavic
With screws this tiny I try to gentle press the blade hub onto the top of the motor, that should get the bore of the blade perpendicular to the top of the motor and act as a guide for the screw.
I then put the screwdriver to the screwhead and turn the screw BACKWARDs. If the screw is actually on target and if you pay attention to how things feel and you may well feel the screw drop into the thread in the screw hole. If so screw the screw in.

Unfortunately it is a matter of judgement as to whether any resistance in screwing the screw in is due to the Loctite or a cross threaded screw but to me cross threaded feels somewhat different though I have been nervous at times.
Also if cross threaded it is likely that the screw will be leaning to one side and not perpendicular the the motor top.

Last edited:
However, when I did a little test flight and I was trying to let it hover at a higher altitude, it was drifting a little bit (at lower altitude it did not seem to be the problem). There is a bit of wind, but I'm not sure if that is the explanation or that....
Sorry I missed that bit.

Aside from the wind generally increasing with height, as Starz mentioned, the method of position holding used by the drone changes with height.
Low down and in good enough light it can, and does, use its downward looking sensors (VPS) to hold position. In my experience, wind permitting, this results in quite remarkable position holding.
Once the drone is too high for those sensors to work or the lighting is insufficient for the sensors to work then the drone is left with GPS position holding.

GPS position holding is not as accurate as VPS position holding

Reactions: Camino Ken
Thanks for all the comments. They were quite re-assuring.
Yesterday I took my drone for a flight at some cliffs and despite the weather being reasonably windy, it actually performed amazingly! So all seems to be in order.

Reactions: old man mavic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair