DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proper procedure for Blow-Away event

Or if you have internet access and use an Android phone the flight log can be immmediatly converted.

Ah yes, don't have android, but if I had internet access I should be able to do the same.

What I was referring to was more than the usual find my drone location, or the official flight record (ending) as very often the aircraft is going further, wind effect or trajectory from height.
This is where the 3 or 6 or so really keen flight analysts are really on the ball, especially for location sar104 and Budwalker.

The casue of the incidents is also really interesting to see, and learn from.

All the best with your backcountry trips, I've used that app, though deleted long ago.
I have various mapping apps on the phone, ipads, mostly for 4WD trips now, bushwalking trips are usually laminated 1:50k topo sheet sections.

After reading yet another blow-away thread I would like to confirm my understanding of the proper procedure for handling this kind of “emergency” event. My standard practice is to avoid flying if it’s “windy” (more than “breezy”). But as I often fly in hilly terrains (in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada) there’s always the chance of hitting unexpected and sudden winds (e.g. fly up over a ridge, along a canyon, or above some tall trees).

At the first sign the aircraft is drifting away, do the following:

0. Remain calm & avoid panic.
1. Immediately switch to Sport mode.
2. If RTH had somehow been enabled (e.g. low battery or signal loss) cancel it if/when possible.
3. Descend as low as possible while remaining above any obstacles such as trees or terrain.
4. Fly towards “home” and land as soon as practical.

Is there consensus on this or am I missing anything? :)

After reading yet another blow-away thread I would like to confirm my understanding of the proper procedure for handling this kind of “emergency” event. My standard practice is to avoid flying if it’s “windy” (more than “breezy”). But as I often fly in hilly terrains (in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada) there’s always the chance of hitting unexpected and sudden winds (e.g. fly up over a ridge, along a canyon, or above some tall trees).

At the first sign the aircraft is drifting away, do the following:

0. Remain calm & avoid panic.
1. Immediately switch to Sport mode.
2. If RTH had somehow been enabled (e.g. low battery or signal loss) cancel it if/when possible.
3. Descend as low as possible while remaining above any obstacles such as trees or terrain.
4. Fly towards “home” and land as soon as practical.

Is there consensus on this or am I missing anything? :)

Very good advice, regarding point 1, however, I would advise switching to P-Mode or T-Mode as the drone approaches the place for landing, S-Mode is not everyone who mastered well enough, easy to fly in any obstacle then the braking distance is considerably longer.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s