DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proper procedure for notifying an airport of UAV operation within 5 miles

burnheart

Reactions
So I know many pilots believe that you just have to call ATC at the airport to notify them of the operation, but I also came across information that you must use the FAA web portal instead to enter in the information, and that calling in is no longer protocol. Anyone have any good information on this?

Here is the site I'm talking about. It also can be used as a waiver application but if it's just for hobbyist, I believe it's just to notify them

Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS)

b07f4f96557491f31d49ecc4799ad2d0.jpg

The information you are referring to in your post applies to someone flying commercially under Part 107 rules. The requirements for hobby flyers are different. As a hobby flyer you are not requesting permission or waiver to fly there - you are contacting the airports/towers to notify them that you will be flying within five miles. Normally this is done with a phone call or if no answer a voicemail message. As far as I know there is no online method that has been made available for these contacts.

Here is a link to the FAA page that covers this topic as well as other questions. (See Flying For Fun section)

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

The information you are referring to in your post applies to someone flying commercially under Part 107 rules. The requirements for hobby flyers are different. As a hobby flyer you are not requesting permission or waiver to fly there - you are contacting the airports/towers to notify them that you will be flying within five miles. Normally this is done with a phone call or if no answer a voicemail message. As far as I know there is no online method that has been made available for these contacts.

Here is a link to the FAA page that covers this topic as well as other questions. (See Flying For Fun section)

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Awesome! Thanks this is what I was looking for. So correct me if I'm wrong. Once I pass my test for part 107 commercial license, am I then always operating as a commercial pilot? And always then have to request permission instead of just notify? Or am I able to have hobbyist flights afterward. A little unclear on that part.

Also I see that as a hobbyist you must also contact or attempt to contact helipads.

After you get certified for Part 107 it is my belief that you then have the choice of whether your flight is done under part 107 rules or hobbyist rules. If it is commercial it would be under Part 107 but if recreational it could be either. One advantage of flying under P107 is the five mile rule does not apply. Instead you fly based on airspace and many of the more rural airports are in Class G airspace so in those cases there is no notification and no requirement to get permission to fly. Under 107, permission is required when the flight is in B,C,D, or E airspace.

Reactions: flyoverdronography
After you get certified for Part 107 it is my belief that you then have the choice of whether your flight is done under part 107 rules or hobbyist rules. If it is commercial it would be under Part 107 but if recreational it could be either. One advantage of flying under P107 is the five mile rule does not apply. Instead you fly based on airspace and many of the more rural airports are in Class G airspace so in those cases there is no notification and no requirement to get permission to fly. Under 107, permission is required when the flight is in B,C,D, or E airspace.

Great information. Thanks. This helps a lot.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54