DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proper use of batteries flying once a week

Lugh65

Reactions
Hi everybody

I'm having trouble understanding how the Intelligent Flight Batteries work. I fly only once a week on Saturdays. The batteries run down to 60% after 5 days so what I currently do is leave them empty until Monday afternoon and then charge them.

However, I read in several posts that it would be better to charge the batteries only the evening before flying, is this right? So I leave them flat for six days?

1598608516720.png

Reactions: E90RAW
The proper storage level for a LiPo battery is somewhere between 40-60% ... leaving the battery outside this span for any longer period (days) will degrade your battery.

I recommend that you charge up your batteries shortly before flight to 100%, fly them down (not below 15% preferably ...) then let them cool to room temperature & charge them up to the storage % span. Then repeat the next Saturday.

The auto discharge down to 60% takes to long before it kicks in ... so I wouldn't rely on that. The most damaging you can do is to leave them empty or at 100%.

Is that battery discharge timing not a setting that has an option to change the number of days? I don’t have the MA2, so I can’t check that.

Reactions: Lugh65
Is that battery discharge timing not a setting that has an option to change the number of days? I don’t have the MA2, so I can’t check that.

No, it's not adjustable on the Mavic Air 2.

@Lugh65 if you are definitely only going to be flying on a Sat then your best option would be to fly your batts down to say 40% per battery they will then be fine to store for a few days
then on the friday evening before you are going flying next day fully charge them and that way you are not storing them at 100% or with too low a charge

@Lugh65 if you are definitely only going to be flying on a Sat then your best option would be to fly your batts down to say 40% per battery they will then be fine to store for a few days
then on the friday evening before you are going flying next day fully charge them and that way you are not storing them at 100% or with too low a charge
Thanks for your answer, I had thought of this solution too, however it means more or less halving the flight time for each battery. These intelligent batteries don't seem that smart to me!

One of the reasons I’m not a fly app fan. Hopefully DJI will provide some adjustments in the future.
The proper storage level for a LiPo battery is somewhere between 40-60% ... leaving the battery outside this span for any longer period (days) will degrade your battery.

I recommend that you charge up your batteries shortly before flight to 100%, fly them down (not below 15% preferably ...) then let them cool to room temperature & charge them up to the storage % span. Then repeat the next Saturday.

The auto discharge down to 60% takes to long before it kicks in ... so I wouldn't rely on that. The most damaging you can do is to leave them empty or at 100%.

Thanks for your suggestion, I think this may actually be the best solution.

One of the reasons I’m not a fly app fan. Hopefully DJI will provide some adjustments in the future.

It's not necessarily due to using the Fly app, since even the Mavic Air 1 discharge timer wasn't adjustable and that used DJI GO 4.

Here's how I go about managing batteries.
  • First I have labeled each battery (1, 2, 3) to insure proper cycling.
  • Charge batteries as close to take off time as possible. This could be like the night before or morning of if an afternoon flight.
  • Fly until battery reaches 15-20% remaining.
  • Allow to cool before charging again.
  • Upon returning to home base, charge batteries to bring level to 40-65%. This is indicated by 2 steady leds to 2 steady leds and 1 blinking led. For the MA2 battery that has been discharged to 15%, I set a timer for a 15 minute charge.
  • Leave batteries at the 40-65% charge level until the next charge for a flight.
From page 25 of the User Manual

1598621102224.png

Hi everybody

I'm having trouble understanding how the Intelligent Flight Batteries work. I fly only once a week on Saturdays. The batteries run down to 60% after 5 days so what I currently do is leave them empty until Monday afternoon and then charge them.

However, I read in several posts that it would be better to charge the batteries only the evening before flying, is this right? So I leave them flat for six days?

View attachment 111758
LiPo battery's are all about oxidation. Lithium likes to oxidize, especially with heat. (remember chemistry class when you placed Li in water=explosion). LiPo batts are especially prone to oxidation, heat exacerbates this, but sitting idle as well. That is why they are only good for 150-250 charging cycles. The magic number is NOT the % batt remaining but the volts. You do not want the volts/cell to go below 3, whether you are flying, or whether the batts are sitting idle. Always watch your volts, esp when flying. So if idle(1 week is not really sitting idle and will not drop the volts near 3/cell) then check the volts and recharge. In regard to recharging it really doesnt matter when you charge as long as you are aware batts discharge when not in use and will have less capacity the longer between the charge and use. I would do a test and after sitting for the 6 days, put the batts on the drone and check the volts. That will give you a good idea about their function. Unfortunately LiPo batts are like a pet, you cant just leave them if not in use. You need to periodically maintain them with the above(charging et cetera).

Reactions: hiflyer201
It's not necessarily due to using the Fly app, since even the Mavic Air 1 discharge timer wasn't adjustable and that used DJI GO 4.

And I believe the Macvic Pro 2 wasn't adjustable either for quite some time, and then became adjustable more than a year in with a later firmware update (perhaps related to the battery swelling issues).

Thanks for your answer, I had thought of this solution too, however it means more or less halving the flight time for each battery. These intelligent batteries don't seem that smart to me!
At around $115 USD, the "intelligent" firmware in the batteries will help prolong their longevity and prevent potential issues.I would think we all could appreciate the long term savings

Can anyone talk to what equates to a charge count?

If I run it from 100% down to 50%, charge back to 100%, run it down to 50% and charge it back up, is that a charge count of 1?

I haven’t figured that out yet haha.

Can anyone talk to what equates to a charge count?

If I run it from 100% down to 50%, charge back to 100%, run it down to 50% and charge it back up, is that a charge count of 1?

I haven’t figured that out yet haha.
Yes. Partial charges are additive, and two 50% charges can be combined, to count as one full charge.

Last edited:
Here's how I go about managing batteries.
  • First I have labeled each battery (1, 2, 3) to insure proper cycling.
  • Charge batteries as close to take off time as possible. This could be like the night before or morning of if an afternoon flight.
  • Fly until battery reaches 15-20% remaining.
  • Allow to cool before charging again.
  • Upon returning to home base, charge batteries to bring level to 40-65%. This is indicated by 2 steady leds to 2 steady leds and 1 blinking led. For the MA2 battery that has been discharged to 15%, I set a timer for a 15 minute charge.
  • Leave batteries at the 40-65% charge level until the next charge for a flight.
From page 25 of the User Manual

View attachment 111773
This is a great explanation. I do exactly the same and never had a problem. One thing to add.. If you charge your batteries to 100% but don't end up using them soon after (eg because you're in the UK and it's suddenly raining ???☔), use the power bank adapter if you have it to discharge each battery into another device, until each one is about 60% again for storage. The little adapter is worth it just for that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan