DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Property surrveilance Drone

I live on 60 acres which is 1/2 mile long. It's almost all trees. I can easily fly 1 mile from my house at 200' agl with no signal loss.

Mavic is a tool I use to check for trespassers and perform other property related tasks.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
From a practical point of view you would need to put in the time and effort to learn about your drone, and get pretty decent at flying it without crashing. If you want to do this, over and above getting the surveillance you want, then yes, I think you could do several interesting things in this regard.

If you want to just keep track of what your wildlife is doing, get a few remote wildlife cameras and place them in strategic areas. That should give you a good idea, and it will cover night time activity too, which a drone won't.

If you go the drone route, you could keep it simple and just fly around your property every once in a while and have a look around.

Or, one step up from that, capture images at various locations on your property, and compare them with earlier images. I would use images rather than videos because you probably want to be able to toggle between them on your screen to look for differences. Capture the images with a Mavic or Phantom 4, running Litchi or another third party mapping program such as dronedeploy.com . Dronedeploy will make the images into one large image.

For comparing, you could use something like Photoshop (10 bucks a month) or GIMP (free), and look for either the animals themselves or dug up areas, tracks, etc. At a height of 100 feet you will be able to see details that are roughly 6 inches in size, perhaps a little better than that.

Just some ideas - sounds like an interesting way to use a drone.

Well what fun is that?

I've been the driver in a race car and a passenger , both were fun .
I've been the pilot of a stunt plane and a passenger , both were fun .
I've been a passenger on a sky dive and solo , both were fun .
I've been on top and on bottom during ...... well let's not go there , but both were fun .

I guess I missed your point .

From a practical point of view you would need to put in the time and effort to learn about your drone, and get pretty decent at flying it without crashing. If you want to do this, over and above getting the surveillance you want, then yes, I think you could do several interesting things in this regard.

If you want to just keep track of what your wildlife is doing, get a few remote wildlife cameras and place them in strategic areas. That should give you a good idea, and it will cover night time activity too, which a drone won't.

If you go the drone route, you could keep it simple and just fly around your property every once in a while and have a look around.

Or, one step up from that, capture images at various locations on your property, and compare them with earlier images. I would use images rather than videos because you probably want to be able to toggle between them on your screen to look for differences. Capture the images with a Mavic or Phantom 4, running Litchi or another third party mapping program such as dronedeploy.com . Dronedeploy will make the images into one large image.

For comparing, you could use something like Photoshop (10 bucks a month) or GIMP (free), and look for either the animals themselves or dug up areas, tracks, etc. At a height of 100 feet you will be able to see details that are roughly 6 inches in size, perhaps a little better than that.

Just some ideas - sounds like an interesting way to use a drone.

Yes, I maintain 4 cameras out on the property at all times (had 5, lost one to high water on my river bottom during a flood a couple years back) And they give me a rundown of whats going on out there. I also take lots of walks out there and thought the drone might also be a good way to spy on things.

Good advice too I'm thinking.. from what I've read, the blade nano is more a racing type drone. Learning to fly on a cheap drone makes sense, but maybe not that one. Need to find a decent learning drone, but not a toy I think... how to tell the difference is the hard part.

I live on 60 acres which is 1/2 mile long. It's almost all trees. I can easily fly 1 mile from my house at 200' agl with no signal loss.

Mavic is a tool I use to check for trespassers and perform other property related tasks.

An excellent and perfect tool you have chosen for surveillance. Takes me from stored in box to up in the sky in under 2minutes.

I've been the driver in a race car and a passenger , both were fun .
I've been the pilot of a stunt plane and a passenger , both were fun .
I've been a passenger on a sky dive and solo , both were fun .
I've been on top and on bottom during ...... well let's not go there , but both were fun .

I guess I missed your point .
I guess you did..

Reactions: geigy

Which is exactly what I'm looking to use it for.

Ok, absolute beginner here looking for ideas. Looking for a drone that takes videos, not professional or anything, just kind of surveillance, but at a distance. I own 100 acres that's long and narrow, just about 3/4 of a mile long. So I'm looking for one that will go from one end to the other.
I was in best buy the other day and saw the Phantoms and the Mavic that said they had a range of 22,000 feet which is a bit over 4 miles, so plenty. Also saw they had obstacle avoidance and return to home feature. I'm thinking this would be good, maybe it would keep me from running into branches if I'm flying low. Yes??
I don't really know anything about these drones , do you think the Mavic pro fits the bill?

Also read somewhere on here to get a Eachine E010 Mini 2.4G 4CH 6 Axis Headless Mode RC Quadcopter RTF first to practice with... good advice I'm thinking, yes? Is there a different low cost trainer, or just start with a Mavic?
Just buy a Mavic. Simple and easy to fly. Keep it above the trees and make your 'return to home' altitude higher than any obstacle around your property. Obstacle avoidance doesn't help with small branches. Be prepared to find your drone after the crash. Put bright orange tape on it..

Reactions: cderoche
Ok, absolute beginner here looking for ideas. Looking for a drone that takes videos, not professional or anything, just kind of surveillance, but at a distance. I own 100 acres that's long and narrow, just about 3/4 of a mile long. So I'm looking for one that will go from one end to the other.
I was in best buy the other day and saw the Phantoms and the Mavic that said they had a range of 22,000 feet which is a bit over 4 miles, so plenty. Also saw they had obstacle avoidance and return to home feature. I'm thinking this would be good, maybe it would keep me from running into branches if I'm flying low. Yes??
I don't really know anything about these drones , do you think the Mavic pro fits the bill?

Also read somewhere on here to get a Eachine E010 Mini 2.4G 4CH 6 Axis Headless Mode RC Quadcopter RTF first to practice with... good advice I'm thinking, yes? Is there a different low cost trainer, or just start with a Mavic?
Absolutely!

Good questions, Just watching my property, wildlife mostly. Wild pigs down by the river.. see if they are there, they are very transient , deer/turkey movement, things like that.

It's your property, so you should be able to do what you want. However, some states have laws prohibiting drone use for hunting/tracking purposes (like Texas). Pigs are ok to hunt by any means, including real helicopters. Deer and turkey though are regulated. That being said, looking for movement during the off season might be OK. Bedding areas for game will be obscured by trees and brush. The Mavic pro can zoom to 2x for animals in the open. But for a better look without spooking them, try filming in 4k with 2x zoom, them zoom in more on a computer afterwards. To be honest, some game cams would be cheaper and spook the animals less. I hope this helps.

You should know that if you harass, bother, frighten, worry or otherwise aggravate wildlife you can be charged.

Bud

Good questions, Just watching my property, wildlife mostly. Wild pigs down by the river.. see if they are there, they are very transient , deer/turkey movement, things like that.

My property is a mix of open and woods, some large trails also I'd like to traverse once I get good at it.

I do have a wide open 10 acre hay field I could practice in, I would have to maybe mow a landing pad in there though.

Do you think the Mavic would be a good platform for what I am doing?

ALSO... I'm way out from any big towns and phone cell service is not that great here, will that effect operating this?

Good post.
My property is a mix of open, fields, river bottom land, a bit of marsh ,and a couple ponds. The trees are mostly an overgrown pine saw timber stand, hybrids that lose most of their lower branches. Not looking to fly through the woods per say, but down some lanes (or above them above the canopy) big enough to drive my truck on but still some overhead branches. I would have to work my way up to that even let alone trying to fly through the woods themselves... BUT... if the drone/multirotor/bird (whatever you want to call it) had FPV, and I got reasonably able at it, I could fly down those lanes or even through the woods, could I not?????
Stealthy I'm not so worried about, they'll run, I'll see them run and that's ok.

And I'm perfectly aware I don't have a skill level to even try some of those things, but I'm looking for a place to start.. and that is all at this point.

My Mavic was my first drone. Got $60 a year full coverage insurance on it from State Farm. No worries. It flies great. Good video / photos, long range, super easy to fly. Learn all you can about how it works. This guy has tons of videos on it. Once you understand how it works and know its limitations you'll be fine. You know your property, and whats on it etc. There is a beginner mode on it for a reason. Fly around on that mode for a little while first then venture out. Check all your settings and understand what each is.

Reactions: Mjonesy758
Was referring to flying through the woods, would not use for actual hunting , just scouting.... except maybe to see if pigs are tearing stuff up and go see them

So that video is exactly what I'm looking to do .... only in slo-mo...

I see they crash here and there, but then just go fly again, no or small damage is all? My only experience with this kind of thing is a couple of those RC Copters they sell in the mall, hard to control seems like, and if you crash, they're broke!

Dude......you're screen/member name is a paradox. Literally! Lots of good advice to offer though. Definitely one way to go.
I would just buy a Phantom (or Mavic) and get on with it. Easy to learn and fly. Get State Farm insurance to cover accident or loss. The Phantom has much taller landing gear for landing in longer grass.....

I check a deer herd with it daily, down to fifty foot + zoom getting really good footage and they are getting used to bird

Reactions: Rbruz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne