DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

props

colorado kid

Reactions
howdy, y'all!
so, i was wondering about propellers. again, i am pretty new to this whole thing, so unsure as to what is normal wear and tear and what is not. should i replace props if there are a couple small nicks on them? or, am i worrying too much?

Replace props that have ANY damage. A small nick can lead to a stress crack and then you loose your drone. Having said that, I have cut a little grass before and the grass scrubbed some of the silver paint from the blade tips. I did not replace those. Use a landing pad when ever possible to avoid picking up small stones and damaging the props.

Reactions: colorado kid
Replace props that have ANY damage. A small nick can lead to a stress crack and then you loose your drone. Having said that, I have cut a little grass before and the grass scrubbed some of the silver paint from the blade tips. I did not replace those. Use a landing pad when ever possible to avoid picking up small stones and damaging the props.
oh!? thanks for that! glad i asked! yes, i did pick up a landing pad the other day for this very reason.

I have heard arguments on both sides. Here is my take; the truth is you cannot tell how bad the nic is. It might be a small nic that will never cause any problem. Or...it could have or lead to structural failures of the prop that you may not even be able to see. If it causes no problem, you win. If it breaks in flight however, you will immediately lose control of the aircraft and the drone will not be able to stablize itself.

Props are so much cheaper than the cost of the MM, and especially the cost of a crash if the crash causes property damage or personal injury.

Reactions: colorado kid

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mth0d